klb67
klb67 Reader
5/7/19 6:28 a.m.

I'm replacing my daily driver - the very likely candidate is a very loaded 2016 Mercedes-Benz C300 4matic Sport.  My not white, not black, Sport, with some specific option requirements made finding one locally very difficult.  I found a car in WI.  I'm in PA.  It's a 2016 with 25K miles priced well (and thousands less than it would be locally it seems) at a Mercedes dealership, in MB's CPO program.  Pictures of the car show it in like new condition.  I saw and will have them repair curb rash on a few of the rims.  I have service history information showing little done beyond recommended maintenance.  It will have the CPO warranty and balance of factory warranty.  I wanted to do a fly and drive but that's just not possible, so they are going to ship it to me.  

I keep coming back to the thought that I should hire an independent import shop to do a PPI on it before pulling the trigger since I can't see it in person.  But I wonder if it's a waste of time and money and unnecessarily risks losing the car since it's priced well, given the low miles, service history, and at least what I can see in the pics shows a car in nearly new condition.  

A related question - I have a local dealer looking for a car for me.  I'll need to go there for regular maintenance initially as part of the CPO/MB incentive I'm getting.  Is there any benefit to involving my local dealer in this transaction?  I personally can't see any benefit.  I'm planning to just tell them I found one out of state, and I'll see them at the next scheduled maintenance.  

WWGRM do?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
5/7/19 6:37 a.m.

if it's being offered / documented through the MB CPO program, that's a pretty big plus in terms of lemon risk reduction.  I'd just send it.

 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/7/19 9:44 a.m.

I don't see much need for the PPI given the Mercedes certification. I also don't think the local dealer needs involved, but definitely let them know when you buy the car so they stop searching for one for you.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/7/19 9:56 a.m.

If I were going far for a 3-4 year old car, I would prefer that the car didn't come from the rust belt of Wisc.   Sure, PA is not really any better in terms of rust that you will be subjecting it to.  But, like I said, if I was going far to find the car I would generally go far in a more Southerly or Westward direction.  

You seem to be nit picking curb rash.  Have you seen the under carriage of this Wisc car?  

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
5/7/19 12:57 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

As someone who lives in IL it's a totally valid concern.  I bought a 4 year car from TN due to just this reason. 

Having said that, if you're only planning to hold on to the car for 4-5 years it's probably fine at least in this regard.  If it's a 15 year holding period then it's probably better if you got a southern car.  

klb67
klb67 Reader
5/7/19 1:39 p.m.

Thanks all.   I was concerned about potential rust and asked for pics of the undercarriage - the car is very clean underneath from the pics, and I can see a few stickers on the undercarriage are still present.  That leads me to believe it wasn't driven much in terrible weather.  The title was issued to the 1st owner in late 2016.  I want a 4matic which are less common in the South.  The rest of the options I want make it fairly rare, at least rare availability on the lightly used market at this point.   

It's coming with 2 years of maintenance and 1.9% financing for less than half of the original sticker price, so I'm pretty happy with the deal.  

klb67
klb67 Reader
5/9/19 4:05 p.m.

And here's another good reason to do a fly and drive.  I decided early yesterday to do the deal.  If I were in person, I'd have been in the finance office for as long as they could have kidnaped me for, but I'd be out the door eventually and driving my new to me car.  Instead I'm waiting for the agreement to arrive tomorrow via fedex (why can't we do electronic signatures or scanned docs?), get it signed and possibly overnighted for Saturday delivery, worst case Monday, and only THEN can they get a contract done to ship it.  So I'm looking at late next week at the absolute earliest, probably the week after.  

I spend weeks figuring out what I want and where to get it, agonizing over which one and which options, but once I make a decision, I WANT IT RIGHT NOW!!!!


Must find patience.....

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/9/19 4:12 p.m.

I did not have a ppi done on our cpo g550.     We actually didn’t even look at it in person since it was out of state.  I trusted in the cpo program and everything was fine.

Our Preferred Partners
V7xc2R2BGaxvoiDnpfLIY8BSajX6q8bz8tM4IzWF2zbxKcgkUj0NoGT0OVyLOpg3