OrangeRazor
OrangeRazor New Reader
10/8/09 3:36 p.m.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/1402310778.html

^^^this Miata is at a small sports-car-oriented dealership about 2 blocks from my place, and as you can see it looks VERY clean, and very low mileage. I've driven past it I don't know how many times, but despite its cleanliness I just can't get over that price.

$5k for a '90 Miata? Even Kelly Blue Book says that it's not worth more than $3300, and although KBB is a bit off when it comes to enthusiast cars I would still consider it somewhat of an industry-standard when it comes to the used-car market. That just seems too inflated to me, but I don't think the guy is in any hurry to sell as the cars on that lot aren't turned over very quickly.

Since it's that time of the year, there are a number of Miatas on the market but I can seem to find none in my ($2k) price range around central Ohio. Cheapest I can find is $2300, but even at $2k I'd have to sell my car for what I paid and dip a few hundred into the savings. Just can't win.

/rant, thanks for watching, back to your regularly scheduled programming

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/8/09 3:47 p.m.

Virtually every Miata on the Minneapolis Craigslist is overpriced (on the plus side, most of them here are stored in the winters so they have fairly low miles and are in good condition.) I finally stopped looking.

RossD
RossD HalfDork
10/8/09 3:47 p.m.

You should come to wisconsin and see nice '90 miatas on stealerships lots. They can go for more than that.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
10/8/09 3:55 p.m.

Miatas in Mass. tend to be overpriced and come with bonus rust. Before I bought my RX-7, I looked at Miatas and found that even beat-to-hell rustbuckets and non-running projects cost over $2000.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/8/09 3:56 p.m.

It's time that I rented a car carrier and brought out a load of California Miatas I feel for you poor easterners!

ratghia
ratghia Reader
10/8/09 3:57 p.m.

It isn't running and has no title but for $1500 it can be yours.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
10/8/09 5:08 p.m.

miatas are just now coming down off their summertime prices. Wait untill mid winter they will be cheaper then

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
10/8/09 6:26 p.m.

Yep, that's over-priced. Last year about this time I paid $4k for a '90 with a hardtop and only 22k (yes, only 22k).

RossD
RossD HalfDork
10/8/09 7:36 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: miatas are just now coming down off their summertime prices. Wait untill mid winter they will be cheaper then

-Says the man from California.

car39
car39 Reader
10/9/09 8:47 a.m.

I paid 3k for a clean 90 with 95k on the clock. At the auction. Used car prices are ridiculous right now, between lack of new car sales, new car dealers becoming used car dealers, and C4C taking 750,000 cars off the market.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/9/09 9:07 a.m.

I have noticed that Miatae around here (Missouri) are generally coming down from the "overpriced" arena where they all seemed to be a couple of years ago into "just another used car" prices. It's been kind of a relief...except that I've been thinking of selling mine and now I can't get much more than I owe on it.

I have two friends in the area who have picked up rough-but-running early NA's for under $1000 each.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/9/09 9:10 a.m.

every so often I think of picking up a roadster I can use all year (when or if I ever finish the fiat, it will not come out in winter due to rust worries) Miata and Z3 1.9 pop up on my list.. as does the MR2S

ArthurDent
ArthurDent New Reader
10/9/09 12:03 p.m.

That would over $7k here

nderwater
nderwater Reader
10/9/09 12:36 p.m.

I have a '99 with only 40K miles - I would be lucky to get $7000 for it in Atlanta. I'm listing it up north!

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
10/9/09 1:19 p.m.
RossD wrote:
Capt Slow wrote: miatas are just now coming down off their summertime prices. Wait untill mid winter they will be cheaper then
-Says the man from California.

What I am just saying convertables get cheaper when it gets REALLY cold out in the winter, you know like 50....

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/10/09 6:56 p.m.

The 95 that was 2300 is now down to 2200 today, you could probably talk him down from there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cnw0ftSyAsjoLAuGRo7TMkjijF13iaJs2j2xCGKwRfkqIrt3hL92M6G6zFJ0pokS