carguy123
carguy123 Reader
6/30/08 1:21 p.m.

For some strange reason I can't open P90Puma's thread on his Miata build without it crashing my browser. Thank goodness for the restore session feature of Firefox.

It appears to be Photobucket as the progress bar shows it to be stuck getting data from photobucket when it freezes.

I am running a Powerbook and Firefox.

Is it due to the fact there are so many pics and photobucket can't handle it?

P90Puma
P90Puma Reader
6/30/08 3:54 p.m.

LOL.

Sorry Carguy. I guess it isn't only 56k that has to fear.

Works fine on 4 machines that I have read/updated the thread from. All running firefox 2.x.

Josh
Josh Reader
6/30/08 5:02 p.m.

It didn't crash my browser (Safari/Leopard), but it did crash my MODEM. It stopped loading pics after a couple minutes, and I had to restart my cable modem to get my internet connection back. I assume roadrunner doesn't want me wasting that much bandwidth.

carguy123
carguy123 Reader
6/30/08 5:19 p.m.

Hmmmmm, I wonder what it is. Mine just stopped loading pics after a couple of minutes, but I had to Force Quit my browser and then restart it. It didn't affect anything else that I noticed.

I've tried it twice more to no avail so I guess I just didn't want to read the thread after all. Oh well . . .

I am on FF 2.xx

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/30/08 6:04 p.m.

Every one of those images is more than 500k. You're burning through an insane amount of bandwidth.

p90, for any image you're saving to the web, save 'em at 72 dpi, not 300. Anything over 72 dpi is a waste on screen.

And if you really want to be kind to folks, downsize em to about 600 pixels wide or so. But that's not the real killer, it's that 300 dpi that's making so big and hard to load (and on your end, upload).

P90Puma
P90Puma Reader
6/30/08 8:07 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Every one of those images is more than 500k. You're burning through an insane amount of bandwidth. p90, for any image you're saving to the web, save 'em at 72 dpi, not 300. Anything over 72 dpi is a waste on screen. And if you really want to be kind to folks, downsize em to about 600 pixels wide or so. But that's not the real killer, it's that 300 dpi that's making so big and hard to load (and on your end, upload).

I am shooting them on a Nikon D50, and not processing them at all besides photobucket reducing them to a normal resolution.

Photobucket stats:

Username: P90Puma Account Type Free Member Since 07/31/2007 Total Pictures and Videos help 664 Monthly Hits help 4460 Album Size help

208 MB (20%) 1 GB

Monthly Bandwidth:

1.8 GB (2%) 25 GB

Only using 2% of bandwidth?

I suppose some ISP's can't take the abuse, of ~500k images * however many images I am at right now. The thread for sure isn't mobile browsing or 56k friendly, but most DSL/Cable connections should have no problem?

I suppose I could start using thumbnails.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
6/30/08 8:28 p.m.

It's really the resolution. You could have the images the same visual size and cut the file sizes (and upload and download sizes down to about 100k each). Photobucket may be resizing them visually to 1024px wide, but they're still 300dpi.

25 gigs would be about a gazillion photos at web size.

I think most cameras store at 72dpi, with the image just really, really large, and I suspect photobucket's software is expecting that. I know the software here for the reader rides and stuff does.

MyOldMGB
MyOldMGB New Reader
7/1/08 8:55 a.m.

I hate to gloat, but I'm pretty spoiled now . .. I've suffered in the PC/Windows world for too long (I'm an IT guy so don't even start with me) . . . . but now with my Mac OSX system, I can import photos into iPhoto, retouch/manipulate and then tag all I want and click to upload to Picasa . . . a simple click here and there. If you want to experience a little nirvana on that realm, Microsoft has a photo resizing tool that allows you to pick the photos you want in Windows Explorer and then right click and resize. From there you could upload the photos. I'd recommend doing that and then grabbing a blogger.com account. In fact, you can even get as fancy as taking pics from your camera phone and then emailing them to a special address and that updating your blog for you. My current camera phone pics are crap, but at least I get things updated occassionally on sites.

http://myoldmgb.blogspot.com/ - example of that . . . . or one with more pics is here:

http://bradmillersfunnystuff.blogspot.com/

Josh
Josh Reader
7/1/08 11:54 a.m.

I use the email to flickr thing on my iPhone all the time :). It's pretty neat when I want to post a pic of something on a forum, I can take the pic, and have it posted in about 30 seconds.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/1/08 12:24 p.m.

Flickr has a lot of nice uploading tools, as well as good sharing functions. Its definitely my highest-rated among the photo services.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lck4JWKxuXk5on6AFAlw0VndAbOVShELZRkGji3GT40WFwRl7Ma00Ttisalp54Oi