monsterbronco
monsterbronco Reader
8/19/14 1:05 p.m.

Hey guys, I don’t post here much more of just a lurker. Some of you may know me but here is some backstory, I work as a Mechanical Engineer for a large aerospace company in my free time I play with a 1991 Rx7 built to SCCA ITS mainly racing at NJMP but with the occasional tow to MidOhio. My home base is Philly but last year I took a temporary assignement to spend a year in Huntsville AL this will be concluding in October. I will be returning to Philly for a brief time and then taking up another ~1yr assignment in Seattle, specifically Renton.

There were a variety of reasons that I did not bring my racecar down to Huntsville but regardless I have regretted not trying to bring it down here. So I am toying with the idea of towing it from Philly to Seattle, however my timeline would place that in Dec or Jan and that means crossing the Rockies with a truck and enclosed trailer. This has me a little nervous…. So I am taking a look at what other options there are to keep me occupied from a tinkering/motorsports perspective.

I spend majority of my days in front of a computer or in meetings so need a constructive outlet… Brett at Fusionworks has been my savior here in Huntsville, even though I am sure I spend more time BS’ing then helping! It has been nice to at least have constructive motorsports discussions!

I race a SCCA ITS Rx7 (which can dip into STL) however looking at the SCCA fields they are pretty disappointing out there. So is there anyone in the pacific northwest? Perhaps people looking for an additional member of a Lemons/Chump team? I rented a seat for the RA Chump event this past Feb and found out I am not an arrive and drive personality, I need to be able to be involved in the prep/build of the car (might have something to do with the horrendous level of prep the car I rented had….) I do enjoy getting my hands dirty but also want to be able to drive.

Thanks for listening to my blabbing!

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/19/14 1:52 p.m.

Hi from Portland! (I'll let the other PNW GRM'ers introduce themselves at their leisure). There are a number of Chump/LeMons teams in the area along with more than a few road racers (my uncle lives near Vancouver and races an RX-7 in ITS as well as Hillclimbs, I'll let you know when he's running next so you can get your fill of "brap" heh).

If you're looking for races to check out and make contact with some local racers, check out http://where2race.com (run by a local racer and ChumpCar builder) and you can see the schedules and info for the various racing clubs and venues in the area (Examples: Pacific Raceways, The Ridge Motorsports Park, Portland International, Spokane Raceway, Oregon Raceway Park, ICSCC/CSCC, TC and of course the SCCA).

A lot of the local racers run with ICSCC/CSCC instead of the SCCA because its a little cheaper and a bit more laid back, so that might be why some of the SCCA races aren't as filled. Some also run not only the tracks in Oregon and Washington, but also dip into Northern California to run at Sears Point, Willow Springs or Thunder Hill.

I've done a couple of ChumpCar races myself, I've been involved in the build/prep of the car both times and while the car crapped out both times we all had fun and would do it again in a heartbeat if the finances allowed. If we get the band back together, I'll let you know since the car is competitive, but it has been just bad luck that has gotten us both times.

I have some friends who work at a certain Aerospace company in the Seattle region who are also in the engineering arena, so if you'd like an intro send me a PM and I'll connect you.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
8/19/14 1:59 p.m.

Sell it and build a PRO-3 car when you get there?

http://www.pro3-racing.com/

monsterbronco
monsterbronco Reader
8/19/14 2:05 p.m.

Thanks for the shout!

I am basically trying to decide if I can figure out a way to get my racing fix without the need to tow my car literally across the country!

I need to look up the rules for ICSCC and see where my ITS Rx7 would fall into their classing.

I am always down for grabbing a brew and talking cars!

Wes

monsterbronco
monsterbronco Reader
8/19/14 2:06 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Sell it and build a PRO-3 car when you get there? http://www.pro3-racing.com/

Those look pretty cool!

I wouldn't know what to do with pistons though! I have spent way too much time in the rotary world!

monsterbronco
monsterbronco Reader
8/19/14 2:11 p.m.

Just glanced at the ICSCC rule set and they share the same Improved Touring rules at SCCA!

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/19/14 2:45 p.m.

We should do a PNW meet somewhere..

welcome.

turboswede
8/19/14 3:00 p.m.

There was a spec-7 class as well for the RX-7's but I don't know if it is still around. There's also Spec-944, Spec-Miata and Spec-E30 (Pro-3) all of which have great racing and cheap buy-in's and rentals available from reputable folks. Check out ProDrive for a great Portland-based performance driving training and race rental group.

monsterbronco
monsterbronco Reader
8/20/14 7:25 a.m.

Thanks for all the info guys! Hopefully I will get the opportunity to buy some of you a beer!

Looking at the results for the events for both SCCA and ICSCC there are typically 2-3 ITS car running per weekend. I am not sure it is worth the headache to haul the my ITS car all the way out there vs leaving it in Philly and flying in for a long weekend to race in a 12+car ITS field at NJMP.

I can still go run DE's or talk my way into instructing with the Protege (my rule is every car I own will see track time! and the P5 has set to happen)

So I think the plan will be to drive the P5 out there in Dec or Jan (or whenever I work out with management).

I still do want to find a Lemons/Chump team though, so if anyone has any leads on groups that want another member!

Thanks! Wes

turboswede
8/20/14 12:10 p.m.

Keep in mind that ITS runs in a fairly large group of cars and most of the former ITS cars were 944's in this area and are now Spec944's and they all typically run in the same race groups on the weekends when they run.

For Example, looking at the race group for April's CSCC race, race group 5 consists of the following classes: ITA-B-C-S, GTL, E-F-H Imp Prod

Here's a PDF to the year's points for Group 5: http://icscc.com/2014/points/14gp5.pdf

And the results from Group 5's April race (page 5): http://icscc.com/2014/results/race01/race_1_results.pdf

That said, if you brought your car you'd always have someone to race against and might get some trophy's for your efforts if you can beat the Spec944's and the other ITS cars that show up.

I'll certainly buy a round when we all finally run into each other at some point. :)

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
8/20/14 1:14 p.m.

"large aerospace company"

Welcome to the Pacific Northwet!
I'm all the way up in Bellingham, you'll drive right by on your way to BC.
(thanks for making this thread, I've recently gotten into Autocross and know it won't be too long before I look towards more opportunities to 'utilize' my car)

I second FueledBy's suggestion of a meet.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
8/21/14 12:40 a.m.

Pineapple Racing (Rob Golden - owner) is located in Troutdale ( town a few miles east of Portland). I can't think of a better rotary guy... anywhere!

Just say-in....

monsterbronco
monsterbronco Reader
8/21/14 6:52 a.m.

hmm didn't realize that was were Pineapple Racing was located!

monsterbronco
monsterbronco Reader
8/21/14 12:57 p.m.

ok just so I make a well informed decision... lets say I do drag the car out there.

Anyone know of like a communal shop space in reasonable proximity to Renton? I am tossing around just renting a house with a 2 car garage and space to put the trailer in the side yard but am open to other options.

turboswede
8/21/14 1:47 p.m.

Wish I did, but being based in Portland I'm not aware of any in that area. I can ask around though.

Sultan
Sultan Dork
8/21/14 5:41 p.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: "large aerospace company" Welcome to the Pacific Northwet! I'm all the way up in Bellingham, you'll drive right by on your way to BC. (thanks for making this thread, I've recently gotten into Autocross and know it won't be too long before I look towards more opportunities to 'utilize' my car) I second FueledBy's suggestion of a meet.

Ha! I grew up in Bellyslam!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nx5SPjLKoU0KGFperv7hSO8pDvX31nP1A8yxM7ucK9pvoc6D2uSyRnAXJQscTUDI