1 2 3
trucke
trucke Dork
1/11/16 8:01 a.m.

Will still have T&C features like Stow'n Go.

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/Leisure/2009/880/558/chry-pacifica-cargo-876.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

2017 Pacifica

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
1/11/16 8:19 a.m.

I like the design. Wonder how much the plug-in version will go for. 30 miles on electricity sounds pretty great.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
1/11/16 8:30 a.m.

Surprisingly, the Chrysler 200 styling seems to work really well on that. I....I kind of like it.

trucke
trucke Dork
1/11/16 8:33 a.m.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/11/16 8:41 a.m.

Yes, Yes, No

I've been waiting for a hybrid model minivan. But not sure if I wanted it to be Chrysler.

Very good looking though.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/11/16 9:16 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Yes, Yes, No I've been waiting for a hybrid model minivan. But not sure if I wanted it to be Chrysler. Very good looking though.

If one leads, the others will follow.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/11/16 9:16 a.m.

Want it now.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/11/16 9:39 a.m.

That is a remarkably good-looking minivan.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/11/16 10:55 a.m.

I'll repost my reaction from FB:

Detroit Free Press said: Chrysler is dropping the "Town & Country" name in hopes of shedding the stigma attached to the minivan as an uncool vehicle.

1) If people even smell something minivanish about it, they will think it's uncool, no matter what it's named. Hence the massive popularity of SUVs (which are about 65% as space-efficient as a minivan) being idiotically pressed into service as minivans throughout suburban America.

2) Chrysler wants to avoid the "uncool" minivan names - which have been around since the minivan killed the station wagon - so they revive the "Pacifica" name? A name that is only associated with a problematic and uninspiring lump of ambiguity that died in well-deserved obscurity 10 years ago?

That being said, I can see myself looking for one about 10 years from now when our current, perfectly-preserved, low-miles 2012 T&C is inevitably rear-ended and totaled out because it's 15 years old and has no book value.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/11/16 11:05 a.m.

"New" name for the same ole E36 M3box....

Sigh.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
1/11/16 11:18 a.m.

I came in here expecting the OP to ask about actually buying an old Pacifica to replace a T&C. I was going to ask them to put down the crack pipe.

So I'm pleasantly surprised to see what this thread is actually about. From the photos, I like it quite a bit. Very nice. I know most Americans care about the minivan image and don't want anything that even whiffs of one, but that's their loss. I love 'em.

I agree with ProDarwin...here's hoping another manufacturer comes out with a decent electric only range minivan.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/11/16 11:23 a.m.

I find the brightwork to ve very much like the Infinti QX60 (Infiniti version of Pathfinder) with the D-pillar being more akin to the QX80 (Infiniti version of Armada)

trucke
trucke Dork
1/11/16 11:27 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: I came in here expecting the OP to ask about actually buying an old Pacifica to replace a T&C. I was going to ask them to put down the crack pipe.

I didn't think of that! That would require a crack pipe.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
1/11/16 11:39 a.m.

I like the design direction this latest crop of minivans are going in. With kid #3 on the way, I foresee that one will end up in our driveway before too long.

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/11/16 11:45 a.m.

The old Pacificas are garbage and known for it. They'd be smart to choose another name IMO.

This looks pretty cool. For a minivan.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/11/16 11:49 a.m.
flatlander937 wrote: The old Pacificas are garbage and known for it. They'd be smart to choose another name IMO.

Agreed, the old Pacifica crossover thingy was not one of the finer moments of the DaimlerChyrsler era. Bringing that name back is rather odd.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/11/16 11:58 a.m.

They only ever sold about 6 Pacificas, so its probably not contaminated the name to badly.

When GM brought back the Envoy name, I shook my head pretty hard, although I don't know whether they ever sold the Envoy Epic in the states.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
1/11/16 12:03 p.m.
Duke wrote: I'll repost my reaction from FB:
Detroit Free Press said: Chrysler is dropping the "Town & Country" name in hopes of shedding the stigma attached to the minivan as an uncool vehicle.
1) If people even *smell* something minivanish about it, they will think it's uncool, no matter what it's named. Hence the massive popularity of SUVs (which are about 65% as space-efficient as a minivan) being idiotically pressed into service as minivans throughout suburban America. 2) Chrysler wants to avoid the "uncool" minivan names - which have been around since the minivan killed the station wagon - so they revive the "Pacifica" name? A name that is only associated with a problematic and uninspiring lump of ambiguity that died in well-deserved obscurity 10 years ago?

Who are you and why do you think exactly like me?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/11/16 12:18 p.m.

Pacifica was the Minivan that was not a Minivan. It was technically a SUV.
So, now, Chysler is naming their minivan an SUV name.
It's better than calling it the Durango (aka Chrysler Aspen.)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/11/16 12:31 p.m.

Keep the plug in drivetrain, rebrand it as a Dodge, knock a bunch of money off the price and build the affordable three row plug in hybrid that Toyota should have been selling us.
I am interested to see the price.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/11/16 12:34 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: I agree with ProDarwin...here's hoping another manufacturer comes out with a decent electric only range minivan.

Even a traditional hybrid would satisfy me. It could probably be done cheaper and sacrifice less space. If they could make a minivan that was rated at 30/30, that would be fantastic compared low 21-23mpg combined for the current crop of "full-size" minivans.

STM317
STM317 Reader
1/11/16 12:41 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Keep the plug in drivetrain, rebrand it as a Dodge, knock a bunch of money off the price and build the affordable three row plug in hybrid that Toyota should have been selling us. I am interested to see the price.

I seem to remember a Fiat announcement of some sort saying that they intended Dodge to be pretty much strictly a performance brand, while Chrysler would be the typical boring car company with a bit of a luxury slant. I don't see a hybrid mini van being branded as a Dodge if that's true.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
1/11/16 12:47 p.m.

These look surprisingly good!

hats off to Chrysler.

The hybrid with 30 miles electric only is ideal for a soccer mom hauler. Full range for the inevitable road trip. No gas used dropping junior off at elementary school on the way to the office.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/11/16 12:55 p.m.

Will this Hybrid be the followup to the Chrysler Aspen Hybrid?
Remember those? I bet you don't.
Only offered one model year, 2009.
EPA rated at 20/21/22 for Hybrid 5.7L and 13/15/19 for standard 5.7L
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/dodge/aspen-durango-hybrid.html

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
1/11/16 1:20 p.m.

Cool van. Lame name. We're all saying we like it so does that mean the general non enthusiast market won't buy it?

I'm a big fan of Chrysler's styling lately. Aggressive while still looking classy.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CjjpL3MEyZEUw5yFzdkLakBPZvjRSiqQm2K8hDlFzOytcLxhutZgt9Up9EK2V2qc