thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/10/20 10:39 a.m.

Have you guys seen these yet? 8.5" travel on all four corners in a Miata with just a 1" lift. Could be a start to a really fun toy. Has anyone used them yet?

https://pacomotorsports.com/product/rallycross-coilovers/

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/10/20 10:49 a.m.

A world where readily available long travel coil over kits rather than the short travel versions we get now is one I want to live in.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/20 10:57 a.m.

Ridiculous. Love it.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/10/20 12:13 p.m.

Starts looking at NBs

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/10/20 1:53 p.m.

Can't say i'm interested, but i CAN say this is the first time i've ever thought "i wish Mazda had built a small station wagon off the Miata platform".  It took a rally suspension to prompt that. Go figure.

Keith Tanner
9/10/20 3:41 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) said:

Have you guys seen these yet? 8.5" travel on all four corners in a Miata with just a 1" lift. Could be a start to a really fun toy. Has anyone used them yet?

https://pacomotorsports.com/product/rallycross-coilovers/

I believe they were announced today, so it's unlikely there's a lot of user data out there quite yet :)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/20 5:35 p.m.

I wonder what the rates are, and if they are intended to be used with swaybars or not.

Keith Tanner
9/10/20 5:39 p.m.

Paco does offer extended sway bar end links for lifted cars and you can see sway bars in at least one of the pictures, so it's at least been considered.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/20 5:41 p.m.

I've thought about making similar mounts to be able to use easily rebuildable circle track shocks. For that price I'd probably just go with the Fox setup.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Lol, realized that after I posted. Then sat around at work hoping that one or more of their testers posts here. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Starts looking at NBs

I've been eyeing the one in my driveway...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/20 8:16 p.m.
EvanB (Forum Supporter) said:

I've thought about making similar mounts to be able to use easily rebuildable circle track shocks. For that price I'd probably just go with the Fox setup.

Hell, for that price, I'd buy new tires and hit as many events as I could in a 300 mile radius.

(rallycross suspension dissertation baleeted because going to tackle MR or PR seriously in 2021, depending on whims)

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/15/21 1:17 a.m.

Guess I'll revive my old thread and see if anyone has used these coilovers in the last ten months...

dps214
dps214 Dork
7/15/21 9:30 a.m.

I feel like there's a "what, the stock ride height isn't 4x4-esque enough for you?" joke in here somewhere.

I'm a little skeptical of using those linear damping circle track dampers on a car with weak motion ratios, but as long as the springs are soft it probably works out okay. I forget exactly how those dampers adjust but I'm pretty sure it involves rotating the shaft which realistically means they have to come off the car to adjust.

Keith Tanner
7/15/21 12:43 p.m.

Edit: whoops, wrong shocks.

The standard Miata Koni adjusts with a knob on top of the shaft, but they don't have four distinct settings like these ones do. Might be worth asking how they adjust.

"Linear damping" has me interested. As opposed to?

dps214
dps214 Dork
7/15/21 10:46 p.m.

Adjustment method: https://lefthanderchassis.com/v2a/16_viewproduct_group.asp?idgroup=2513146

IIRC the adjuster is just covering/uncovering holes in the piston.

Linear, as compared to digressive dampers, like most are these days, that build damping quickly at low speeds and then tapers off. These just build damping proportional to speed. So almost nothing at low speed ramping up to kind of a lot at high speed.

Keith Tanner
7/16/21 12:04 a.m.

I hadn't seen the dyno charts for them anywhere. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/21 12:40 a.m.

I've seen plenty of stock height and lowered Miatas kicking butt at Rallycross.  I'm not sure this would be faster, and suspect in fact it might be slower.  Anyone I've talked to that lifted their car ended up going back to stock ride height pretty quick.  My stock suspended Impreza seems to do quite well and be way faster than I am as a driver.  In Rallycross money is best spent on driving time and tires from what I see and fresh stock suspension parts.  I can see where seats would be a better investment too.  When I move to prepared class, seats and a smaller diameter steering wheel and faster steering rack are the big priorities.  Lifting the car is a negative priority.  Koni yellow inserts seem like a decent idea too.  Then maybe a fresh shortblock and a header...... but those are low priority. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hiGtiJ2MzkPe42TX2ZDnVEq1wxCEQmGtRalaDjal9oDxOlP75yTuyINe5ExqwFzy