Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
6/6/19 11:20 a.m.

Since you never miss an issue of GRM, we know you’ve already read the previous two installments of our “Paint at Home” series. If not, here is part 1, and here is part 2. The first showed us stripping our BMW’s paint and fixing its imperfections with hammers and body filler. The second covered the iterative process of priming and block sanding.

These two chapters represent about 100 hours of work leading up to about 4 hours of actual painting. And after that, we spent another 20 hours sanding and buffing the car to remove the dirt and imperfections left behind from our less-than-perfect garage-cum-spray booth. The resulting paint job may not win Pebble Beach, but it sure gets us big compliments everywhere else.

Now, watch as we take our E30 from gray primer to an eye-popping blue.

Read the rest of the story

wae
wae SuperDork
6/6/19 12:10 p.m.

Very pretty.

(the real reason for my post is that it is staying at the top of the Latest Topics page with a last post time of 0 minutes ago and I'm hoping that another post will put it back in its place :) )

CJ
CJ Reader
6/6/19 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Carl Heideman :

Edit: Issue fixed.  Move along.  Nothing to see here.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
6/6/19 2:05 p.m.

Sometimes when I time things to post they'll hang for a hot second. It's a weird glitch we're looking into. 

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
6/11/19 9:39 a.m.

Nice job. Good tips. 

I worked part-time in a body shop during college, about 1200 hrs.  Enough that I've done nearly all of my own bodywork since then. 

One picture shows a common mistake... During cleaning the right rear quarter panel, all attention focused on gloved right hand, towel, solvent.... While ungloved oily-skinned left hand is making a nice palm print on the trunk lid. 

I would also consider hanging blankets or tarps around the car, as the overspray gets everywhere in your nice clean shop... Much less work to hang than to clean. 

Of course, if weather is good, consider spraying outside. 

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
6/12/19 8:18 a.m.

Plus on tarps. Still finding things with red over spray on . Blue and White colors didn't have the hang time of the red.

Our Preferred Partners
A7c7l7vdikAiK00rMWDzPB4haBQ1xRfvgm6kTw0wBQlxzDaYrNKqlZ0TsuE6Dvn9