1 2 3 4
AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/2/20 12:59 p.m.

I have too many dang cars and not enough space.  Literally keeping batteries topped off, moving cars around, regular maintenance....  all of it leads to not getting anything done or enjoying them much.

In order of acquisition:

1). 2000 Porsche 911 red and goid enough to drive anywhere.  We can squueze kiddo in the back.

2). 1994 Miata A pkg with LSD and power steering.

3). 2000 Boxster S in speed yellow.

4). Challenge DSM with water in oil.

5). Porsche 944 S2 rough cosmetic driver.

All 5 have are owned free and clear.

I only really want one convertible.  Both are fun.  The Boxster is faster and a bit nicer.  The Miata could always be engine swapped, and I always wanted a Cobra...  One has to go.  I flop back and forth on it.  I damn near did give me the VIN on the Boxster but 5k ain't cutting it.

I'm tempted to cut and run on the DSM.  I'm already sick of seeing it in the driveway.  

That would get me to 3 cars and is manageable.  I have plenty of to do items on the 944 to entertain for years.  And a Miata engine swap also entertains for years.

The wife is amenable to selling the 911 and 986 and getting a 987 Cayman S.  Its only two seats so family outtings would be a no go, but could occur in the 944.  I could likely get something lower miles too and 987 engines are not as IMS bearing sensitive.....  but it's not solved.

The smart play might be to dump the 944 too and just have one Porsche and one Miata.  If I do that and get a lift, I can garage the wife's car in bad weather too.  

911 / Miata or Boxster....  Cayman / Boxster....  or keep 3 911, Box / Miata and 944.  

I'm really exhausted by playing car roulette with 2 in garage, 2 in driveway and 1 at work.

If anyone wants a project DSM come to DFW with a trailer and insult me with your offer.  I might even accept a lowball offer on a Boxster S at this point too.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/2/20 1:15 p.m.

If you're gonna have one Porsche then a 911 is what to have. 

I can't see that the Boxter offers that much of a different experience (and not better experience) than the 911.  

What the Boxter does offer is a convertible experience but the Miata can offer that experience while being different and Miata. 

Old challenge cars are somewhat hard to keep around if they do run. If the DSM needs work, just offload it and unburden yourself. 

So, 911 & Miata

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
3/2/20 1:16 p.m.

I am so tempted by boxsters. They even look good in yellow. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/2/20 1:18 p.m.
clutchsmoke said:

I am so tempted by boxsters. They even look good in yellow. 

Speed yellow.....

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
3/2/20 1:21 p.m.

I think you're already on the right track by accepting offers on the Boxster.  You clearly want to keep playing with the Miata.

I'd keep the 911 as the GT and family outing car.  Unless you're bored or ready to move on it'll be a nicer place to spend time with the family than the 944.

New option - sell everything and buy a convertible 911 and Cayman for hardtop 2-seater action.

_
_ Dork
3/2/20 1:28 p.m.

Let's see...

dsm=money pit. 
miata= buy another any day of the week. 
944=money pit that you really have to love. 
boxster=a 911 without your family needs. 
911=everyday driver, get your jollies, sex appeal for SWMBO, kid gets a sweet car to grow up in. Not really any losses other than $$$ to repair. Which sounds like your alright in that dept. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
3/2/20 1:31 p.m.
_ said:

dsm=money pit. 

I'm convinced that Mitsubishi is the Japanese word for money pit.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
3/2/20 1:51 p.m.

Sell 911/boxster on GRM forum 

rest dump on Craigslist 

buy whatever wife wants(cayman S).  Let us enjoy your Porsches smiley

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
3/2/20 1:58 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

How thick is your skin?

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
3/2/20 2:02 p.m.

Honestly, I would keep the miata or boxster and buy a fully depreciated 997 which is a much nicer place to spend your time on family outings. Convertible or coupe, whatever tickles your pickles.

Then you can focus your energy on the miata and enjoy your cruises in the 911.

Option 2 is to sell everything but the miata your current 911.

Option 3 is to sell everything but the boxster and the current 911.

On 4th thought I would keep it all. Yup. Keep them all and kick the dead ones when you walk by until motivated enough to get them half running again. Possibly watch craigslist just in case the right maserati pops up. What's that? A perfect donor chassis for the 944 parts? Grab it at that price you cant lose!

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/2/20 2:05 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to AnthonyGS :

How thick is your skin?

Not bulletproof but I can take it.  Sell em all?  

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/2/20 2:06 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:

Honestly, I would keep the miata or boxster and buy a fully depreciated 997 which is a much nicer place to spend your time on family outings. Convertible or coupe, whatever tickles your pickles.

Then you can focus your energy on the miata and enjoy your cruises in the 911.

Option 2 is to sell everything but the miata your current 911.

Option 3 is to sell everything but the boxster and the current 911.

I get what you are saying.  I won't do an 05 997 but the 06-08 has promise.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/2/20 2:27 p.m.

Trade 'em all for one really nice Mustang. cheeky

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/2/20 2:34 p.m.
slowbird said:

Trade 'em all for one really nice Mustang. cheeky

I've owned 12 Mustangs at last count, uh no.  Not for me.  

Danny Shields
Danny Shields HalfDork
3/2/20 2:37 p.m.

This topic hits pretty close to me, as I have the same 996/986S/944S2 trifecta, plus my dad's old pickup and a minivan that runs more miles every year than all the others combined. And my wife's MG, but it is in long term storage.  It is easy for me to see when someone ELSE has too many vehicles. wink 

There has been some good advice offered on this thread. From what you have said, the 911 sounds like a keeper. The DSM needs to go, followed by the S2 and the 986S, since the 911 fills their roles. Maybe the Miata has a special role as a track car or whatever. Otherwise it could go, too, and you could replace it with one all-around vehicle, whatever appeals to you, to keep the 911 company.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/2/20 2:41 p.m.

The votes for 911 /  Miata are racking up fast and this may be the best advice.  If I get a 4 post lift then both can stack in yhe garage and I can keep the wife's car out of the weather when needed too and I can have a bay to work in as well.  

I guess I need to dump 3 cars pretty quick.  My goal is end of the year or sooner for all 3.  

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/2/20 3:14 p.m.

I'd keep the Miata and the 944. Ditch the others and get a lift.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/2/20 3:24 p.m.
Woody said:

I'd keep the Miata and the 944. Ditch the others and get a lift.

Now that is the economical choice.  

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
3/2/20 3:45 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

More of wondering how low to offer on the DSM. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS Dork
3/2/20 4:19 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to AnthonyGS :

I'm seriously considering slimeball offers.  I want the driveway space.  Bring a trailer and some bills and we'll talk.  I'm not kidding.  Insult me.  We are talking well inside challenge budget.  

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
3/2/20 4:32 p.m.

I don't fit in miata's.  I've driven a bunch of them and just don't understand the fascination everyone here has with them.  They're slow, the chassis feels like its made of swiss cheese and you can't fit diddly in them.  So that car would definitely get the ax for me and the DSM you're definitely selling.

Have you tried to stuff your kid in the back of the S2?  Cause they don't have a lot of space.  As someone else mentioned here, you have to LOVE a 944 to keep one at this point because they're really maintenance intensive.  Given that you also have a 911, I'd sell the S2.

That leaves the boxster and the 911.  I also agree that with another poster above that they do basically the same thing but the 911 just does everything better.  Can fit the kiddo, goes better, has 911 cache, etc.  So I'd sell the boxster too.

That leaves one car, the 996.  Only question is do you sell it too and get a 997?  The 997's look much better, have a much nicer interior and incrementally better performance.  If you could get one of the later ones without the IMS I'd probably do it.  Or keep the 996 and use your new found wealth on something other car that you've always wanted...

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
3/2/20 4:42 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Read the thread again. Why you giving up on it?  Still want to do the Challenge?  Seems like it's a great start. I shouldn't make an offer. I already have 6 Challenge builds in my driveway. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
3/2/20 4:43 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:
Stampie said:

In reply to AnthonyGS :

I'm seriously considering slimeball offers.  I want the driveway space.  Bring a trailer and some bills and we'll talk.  I'm not kidding.  Insult me.  We are talking well inside challenge budget.  

LALALALALA I'm not listening.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/2/20 4:46 p.m.

Could you unload everything but the Miata, keep that for the funz, and upgrade to a 997? 

For my perspective, keeping things simple is more fun and less stressful and I think putting money down for a car that you can enjoy with the whole family is the best thing you could do anyway. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/2/20 5:39 p.m.

If you want to sell the 944 hit me up I really want a s2 driver/project car. 

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
2HonGEQomTqiIkdocu8xFmBSv9JnxRcdamJVnPzK40djXg1n18WSRNMnhvqopPtz