Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/17/14 8:17 a.m.

I have two race cars. Neither runs and I can only afford to campaign one.

The closest to "ready" is a log-booked E36 that needs some motor work but is otherwise ready to race. It's cheap to run in that it's classed in an "almost spec" class so there is no real ability to spend or fabricate an advantage. I've decided I want to stay and race there this year.

That leaves the what to do with E30 of Doom question (see avatar). It has a logbook and I used it for 3 seasons of club racing but it's never been very competitive. Too fast for the also-rans, too slow for the front of the field.
- I've got a cammed S54, motorsport carbon air box, super sprints, custom alpha-N software/ECU, massive oil cooler, 6lb 2 disk clutch/flywheel combo worth $12k+ sitting on a skid that was meant to change that.
- The chassis is just a E36 M3ty E30 sedan I went nuts with.
- Ground control E36 front suspension, Ground control 944 inverted tube coilover rears
- E36 M coupe rear end cut/altered for adjust-ability and real coil overs.
- 10 point cage triangulated from front towers to rear
- lexan windows throughout
- Wilwood calipers, overhung pedals, a bucket load of $ AN fittings
- Electrohydraulic power steering
- 240Z rivet on fender flares, Momo seat, Momo wheel, fiberglass hood, custom fiberglass bumper/splitter, etc

Just piles of time and money that don't add up to much value really. It was fun, stupid fast and I'm kinda done with it. It's got to go - the question is...

Do I try to finish it by shoving the S54 stuff in, spending a bit to make it pretty or just cut my losses, cut it up and have a big sale?

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/17/14 8:25 a.m.

I would do what it takes to get it into two 'piles.' One is a rad drivetrain that's already on a skid and ready to ship. The other is a racecar-in-a-box, just waiting for the drivetrain of buyer's choice. Invest minimal time in spit-shining both piles and marketing them effectively.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/14 8:28 a.m.

Not a Bimmerphile, but will the S54 stuff go into the E36?

Fill the E36 full of what parts you can from the E30 and SELL/SCRAP/DONATE

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/17/14 8:31 a.m.

Do you want to take the TIME to part it out? It would probably be quicker/easier to build it/fix it/them, I'd think.

1/17/14 8:33 a.m.
John Brown wrote: Not a Bimmerphile, but will the S54 stuff go into the E36?

It can but it puts me back in a mod class where I'm out-gunned again. The E36 is already built to the rules and competitive (well, it was, right before piston parts came out the intake). That is a junkyard S52 away from taking a green flag.

1/17/14 8:38 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Do you want to take the TIME to part it out?

Only slightly less than I want the garage bay and some money back. Honestly... if my pockets were deeper I might want to keep the power train for a different project but (they aren't, and) I'm ready for something new. I miss having a streetable sports car. With the 911 gone... I'm driving a 7000lb diesel truck as a DD.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
1/17/14 8:46 a.m.
Tyler H wrote: I would do what it takes to get it into two 'piles.' One is a rad drivetrain that's already on a skid and ready to ship. The other is a racecar-in-a-box, just waiting for the drivetrain of buyer's choice. Invest minimal time in spit-shining both piles and marketing them effectively.

+1

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/14 10:29 a.m.

Whats wrong with the E30?

1/17/14 10:43 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Whats wrong with the E30?

Nothing other than it needs 1000 man hours of development to be competitive in the class it has to run in and I want to race rather than wrench this season. Re-classing isn't really possible due to the fabrication that has already gone into it.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/17/14 11:05 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote: Whats wrong with the E30?
Nothing other than it needs 1000 man hours of development to be competitive in the class it has to run in and I want to race rather than wrench this season. Re-classing isn't really possible due to the fabrication that has already gone into it.

Sounds like a stellar Chump car. And that's not an insult....there are some really well-built cars out there.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/14 11:12 a.m.

Why not sell the E30 as is? Then sell the drivetrain stuff? I think that was what was suggested earlier, I was just trying to clarify.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
1/17/14 12:11 p.m.

I like the "2 piles" approach - decently developed mod roller chassis and big power s54 drivetrain. This was mostly in nasa german touring right? What are all the target audiences/classes?

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/14 12:17 p.m.

I agree with the advice to part out the drivetrain and racecar separately. There's little value in taking the time to complete the E30 with the S54 (because it won't be competitive in a class for anyone else, either).

You should do OK on selling the drivetrain, unfortunately the E30 you'll likely take a hit on due to all of the time/parts you have in that one. Depending on what your offers are, it may be worth your time to part it out and then sell just the shell/suspension.

At that point, you're a motor swap away from having a competitive car in the class, which is your goal.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/17/14 12:45 p.m.

Swap in an M20 into the E30 and sell as a proper race car ready for a real engine. I think it might be easier to sell that way (assuming you still have the old stuff or access to super cheap stuff). Or just sell it as a roller.

I'd definitely sell the S54 stuff on it's own. You'll get much more for this stuff separated than you will together.

1/17/14 1:04 p.m.

I like the 2 piles plan. I'll be putting the drivetrain add together this weekend. C'est la vie.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
1/17/14 1:06 p.m.

If the E30 is great as is, but isn't really good in it's class, sell it as a "track day car".

1/17/14 1:32 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: If the E30 is great as is, but isn't really good in it's class, sell it as a "track day car".

It is beyond the comfort curve for track days. I don't even use it for instructing because it's impossible - it's skinned down to 2100lbs of uncomfortable, hot, vibrating, brutal car with welded shut doors and wide open side exit exhaust.

Here is the thing we are dealing with at Thunderbolt two years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9NryzmRgKQ

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/17/14 5:04 p.m.

I'd get rid of it now. It might hurt financially at first, but a few weeks from now you will be happy that's done with and you have time for your next project.

If you need help moving that S54, and are ok with shipping it, I know someone prepping an e36 that was looking for one. I can get in touch with them and pass along the info.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
1/18/14 7:06 a.m.
Slippery wrote: I'd get rid of it now. It might hurt financially at first, but a few weeks from now you will be happy that's done with and you have time for your next project. If you need help moving that S54, and are ok with shipping it, I know someone prepping an e36 that was looking for one. I can get in touch with them and pass along the info.

Right on. Let the healing begin! I am going to off two parts cars this weekend.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
1/18/14 7:18 a.m.

I say drop a junkyard M50 or M52 into the E30 and sell it as a "track car"

Sell the S54 drivetrain separately

1/18/14 8:52 a.m.
Slippery wrote: If you need help moving that S54, and are ok with shipping it, I know someone prepping an e36 that was looking for one. I can get in touch with them and pass along the info.

I'll get the info together but I'd prefer to sell the motor, airbox, Epic ecu/software, header, exhaust and clutch the way I bought it ( together ) as that is how it was tuned. It is essentially a drop-in S54 race package for an E46/E36.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/18/14 10:35 a.m.

I know that this really does not help with your question but...

If you happen to have any challenge friendly e30 goodies lying around taking up space I have a little room left in my budget. Something like a good rear sway bar setup or trick lightweight stuff or even something really cool that I do not even know about?

Get in touch if there are any extra little things that you might want to get rid of cheap to help a brother out; I figure it cannot hurt to ask.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0JTmRV7OIScEZT9r6dl61GiGcJyqVvGeljjfoGsdrL74xSD31BzXm5KgtO1CCFPC