NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/29/15 3:04 p.m.

I am finally getting to the point where I will be getting ready to part out my 02 WRX wagon.

I want to keep the drivetrain - engine (for the 05), spare transmission, rear diff, axles etc. I intend to keep the brakes also.

I am planning to sell off as much of the rest as I can. I already have someone who wants to buy all the doors, front fenders, grill and front bumper.

Here is the question - how do I haul off the remaining hulk (it's rusty as E36 M3 btw)? If I pull the axles will the bearings stay in place? I was thinking of bolting on a set of temp spares directly to the hubs and then throwing my towbar on it. I could also rent a dolly but there goes any profit for the shell.

Any way to keep the suspension? - Look for blown struts cheap? That was all I could think of.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
6/29/15 3:20 p.m.

Remaining Hulk: Get good Sawzall blades and get after it!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/29/15 3:20 p.m.

Sazall: Cut it in to quarters bring to scrap yard.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/29/15 5:32 p.m.

Without the axle stubs, the hubs are only held in by the bearing.

I have used a bolt, nut, and a few washers to hold stuff together for towing, but I don't think it was a good idea. I don't know if it really helped either but in any case I made it to the house.

jpnovak
jpnovak Reader
6/29/15 11:09 p.m.

roll it onto a trailer using some sections of pipe (at least 4X sections as wide as the car) and a come-along or winch. Let the scrapyard pick it off the trailer with the forklift. Easiest, least messy method.

Usually the carcass (stripped chassis) is light and slides easily. Scrap wood sections including plywood help it slide if you don't want to roll it on pipe.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/29/15 11:30 p.m.

A sawzall with a good blade will turn it into manageable chunks quickly. Don't try to roll it without axles in the hubs.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/30/15 8:37 a.m.

I guess the other option is to call the metal scrappers. I understand metal prices are down and I won't get much for the empty shell.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/30/15 8:38 a.m.

I have a sawzall, so I guess I need to find some good blades.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
6/30/15 9:23 a.m.

Most of the blades sold at Home Depot are made in Switzerland for some reason, good stuff.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1vvfnV2C1mYr1DTc3cAEPdjfh0tUCUhSEEref1SWA6FFsC7ZMcdvrEGzFnngnVck