volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
5/1/15 7:40 a.m.

Tuesday morning I had an appointment at the repair shop at the end of my street to bring Black Betty in for a transmission fluid/ filter change, and to have the SK-700 Jr. shift kit installed. As I was mounting my Trek to ride home, I spied the front end of a W123 parked behind the shop, in a suspiciously nose-high attitude. I went back inside and asked the shop owner about the car; he'd bought it to yank the turbo-diesel for his '46 Chevy pickup project, and was selling off the rolling shell for scrap price.

And so it transpired, the next day when Mrs. VCH and I drove back to the shop to pick up the Suburban, we headed home with me at the helm of the Sub (with Baby VCH safely car-seated in the back), and her steering the 300D at the end of a tow strap.

IMG-20150429-03309

Mrs. VCH being a seasoned veteran of somewhat sketchy tow operations, we managed to get the 300D home without any real drama. The brakes of the W123 easily stopped both it and the two-and-a-half-ton Suburban, the tow strap stayed taught, and Baby VCH was asleep in her car seat when we got home- so we quickly untied the 300D and headed back to the garage to pick up the car we'd originally driven to the shop (Krautbeaterwagen).

IMG-20150429-03310

The parts car is surprisingly rust free, came with a clear title, and had 4 nearly new tires- alone worth what the car cost. KBW will be getting the good fenders, and possibly some other choice parts. The interior of the parts car is in amazingly good shape, too. Anyone need any dark maroon W123 bits?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
5/1/15 7:59 a.m.

That's a great "family" story!

I like all the vehicles involved but in a world of so much drama, divorce, rioting and assorted bad news stories, this was nice!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
5/1/15 9:15 a.m.

We thought about having Katie drive the 'Burban, but she said she was more comfortable in the "being towed" car. Also nixed was putting baby VCH in the 300D.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/1/15 10:58 a.m.

SBC swap.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
5/1/15 11:53 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

Seems reasonable to me!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
5/1/15 12:24 p.m.
bgkast wrote: SBC swap.

You know.....

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/15 2:55 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
You know.....

And then Lemons.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
5/2/15 8:41 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
volvoclearinghouse wrote:
You know.....
And then Lemons.

OK GUYS, SERIOUSLY, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8GB3tt1UZm978TsVrugCmemkcDJmj2Y2Ghqe7OY1Yt7F8vOVbvPsyHW1WXrt3qNS