1 2 3
Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
6/26/17 2:30 p.m.

I'm hoping the next fad will be "flaking clear coat" to drive the values of my cars up.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/26/17 2:36 p.m.
Boost_Crazy wrote: I'm hoping the next fad will be "flaking clear coat" to drive the values of my cars up.

Great idea!

I shall call it: Sun Rod.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
6/26/17 2:44 p.m.

In reply to Boost_Crazy:

It may not be next, but it will probably happen...Widespread clear coat paint use just hasn't been around long enough for it to become 'nostalgic' yet. If you wait long enough, a 3.1L Chevy Beretta GT with flaking clear coat will eventually the crem-de-la-crem of 'vintage' automotive trendiness. LOL

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
6/26/17 3:17 p.m.

The next big thing?

Disco will make a comeback. You heard it first here.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/26/17 3:23 p.m.

My parents have a '67 Corvette. It has the original Marlboro maroon paint. It's got fiberglass cracking and the paint is shrinking, but it still shines up OK. It's by no means a show car, it's not super deep, and you can't see yourself in it, but it's original from 1967. That's patina. It's amazing.

Show me those goofballs painting rust on a fiberglass car and I wonder what the world is coming to.

But that's my opinion, and it hasn't really changed.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
6/26/17 3:30 p.m.

Funny how all my vehicles through the mid-90's came w/ patina.

Now it's a thing.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
6/26/17 3:38 p.m.

In reply to fasted58:

Ahead of your time.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/26/17 4:20 p.m.

Clean paint and purposeful fabrication will never be out of style.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
6/26/17 4:20 p.m.

I CHASED a guy into the grocery store the other day hoping to see if his rusty, once blue Valiant was for sale. Sadly, I never caught up with him, and the car was gone when I left.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/17 5:36 p.m.

I think patina should be called the New England paint job as we are home of the rust bucket.

dean1484
6/26/17 5:42 p.m.

I don't understand the fascination with rust. Maybe I could start a buisness exporting cars to the south with rust.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
6/26/17 5:44 p.m.

In reply to The0retical: You must hate all the new buildings going up with exposed rusty beams. Weathered steel apparently and it's not new either.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
6/26/17 6:33 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Your last two posts were perfect!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
6/26/17 7:38 p.m.

I love the well used look. It's why I like my Studebaker so much.

I don't care what anyone else thinks. It makes me happy just looking at all the dents and scrapes.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
6/26/17 7:42 p.m.

I'm gonna blow some minds here.
Fake patina wrap on new cars looks good imho, saw a one at sema that struck me as a neat idea..
I also enjoy patina on a car. Roadkill cars come to mind here, the draguar, rk/mcm impala and muscle truck all nail the patina/survivor/ratty muscle car/whatever you call it look.
I think flat colored paint is cool. F-bomb is a neat look and plenty of others have nailed the look too.

Not everything needs to have chrome or be super shiny to look cool. I'll add a caveat though, like everything it has to be executed well and not be destructive towards the car. I'll appreciate the workmanship of the stance crowd even if it's not my cup of tea.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/26/17 7:47 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I'll keep the 70+ years of history

Opinions are, of course, like noses...

So, here's mine. I think this looks very good. Color match some green on those wheels to approximate the body, hammer those dents out to a rough approximation of their original shape, and it would look great.

Faux patina is kind of lame, but if it makes you happy, do it. My intentionally (and naturally) rusted truck makes me happy.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
6/26/17 7:54 p.m.

There is a difference between a rusty patina and a unrestored well-worn car showing it's age that isn't rusty. Faded paint, chips, dings and scraps that show it's been used doesn't mean it isn't cared for. It's the rust, corrosion and intentionally showing it like that that is what I don't care for. Working on making it drive better and not touching appearance is Ok as long as it is a solid car. I look for unrestored survivors when I go to shows and appreciate that it's been taken care of. Rusty hulks should either be fixed or scrapped. The Stude and the truck I like because even though they aren't show condition, they are cared for and properly fixed when needed.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
6/26/17 8:06 p.m.

Survivors are the coolest cars, they show the stories of their life via the scars.

dean1484
6/26/17 8:23 p.m.
nutherjrfan wrote: In reply to The0retical: You must hate all the new buildings going up with exposed rusty beams. Weathered steel apparently and it's not new either.

That is K10 if they made car body's out of it that would be interesting. For the record it was very popular as the surface would rust forming a layer over the steel that sealed out the O2. It has fallen out of favor due to the rust staining everything around it. In particular concrete. Since it was very popular in bridge building it would stain the concrete pears making a perfectly safe bridge look like it was a rusty piece of unmaintained junk. This was obviously a pr problem for the designers that sold the municipality or state a new bridge. Needless to say you don't see it used in public projects any more.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
6/26/17 8:36 p.m.
nutherjrfan wrote: In reply to The0retical: You must hate all the new buildings going up with exposed rusty beams. Weathered steel apparently and it's not new either.

Heh. I won't say I like the look of it. Surface rust on I beams and brake discs is something I feel should be inspected, but I recognize the chemistry behind the reaction and how fast it happens. It's just a matter of making sure it doesn't get worse.

When you make it to surface rust which has eaten through a panel it's a sign of severe neglect and generally a symptom of a more severe problem. You find that with airplanes all the time.

Generally with cars it manifests as all the fasteners in the thing being corroded together. Aerokroil is awesome and smells good but it only gets you so far.

I know, I know, I'm a real hit at parties.

Edit: Dean beat my post as I was writing it and getting my daughter in bed. So that too.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
6/26/17 8:43 p.m.

Survivor, patina, well traveled and showing scars. Whatever you call it, as long as it's not faked on there, I LOVE it. Of course, as others have said, it's dependent on the car.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/26/17 9:44 p.m.

if mine wasnt starting to surface rust i would have kept the surviving paint. instead ill likely keep the flat black and scratches for several years!~

dean1484
6/26/17 10:11 p.m.

Wait so my Sierra Denali with 320k that has been a work truck with dents and a couple rust spots and some bubbling in the rockers and fading black paint with that weird spider webbing effect on the hood and the roof is actually more desirable as is? Go figurar.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/27/17 7:15 a.m.

Real patina will always be cool. Fake patina was cool for about 15 minutes.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/27/17 7:53 a.m.
APEowner wrote: Real patina will always be cool. Fake patina was never cool, despite the internet.

FTFY.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
35wGvhJ9QNyYaPLnVquaW08fqEbiECNyxtzcxwsicRfDQWmRcNeh6LwzIpxXVxo5