1 2
DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
12/23/13 9:02 p.m.

Saw a thumbnail in the latest issue and was intrigued. Here's what I found online:

I like it. I like it better than the current Challenger and I like it better than the original Superbird (ducks to avoid flames).

David

unk577
unk577 Reader
12/23/13 9:08 p.m.

Needs bigger tires or bigger wheels and tires. Just doesn't look right

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
12/23/13 9:13 p.m.

Yeah it's not nearly cartoonish enough.

Almost looks like a real life "muscle machines" die cast

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
12/23/13 9:14 p.m.

The new challenger is growing on me. This is a neat idea but I'd never drive one if they made it. I'd prefer something like the challenger in fast and furious 6 with the stuff on it to make it look like a cuda.

Will
Will Dork
12/23/13 9:32 p.m.

Bet they paint the bottom black solely to disguise the car's massiveness.

I prefer the original.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/23/13 9:46 p.m.

Needs more wing.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Dork
12/23/13 10:14 p.m.

Just my opinion, but damn the Plymouth Superbird has to be the goofiest, most overhyped car ever made. Yea, 200 mph at Daytona, I get it, homologation requirements, I get it, blah blah blah. But, on the production Superbird, which would struggle to reach 130mph and/or keep pace with a 2013 Camry.... just.... no thanks. Ok, rant over, carry on.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/13 10:16 p.m.

FNF featured a widebody Challenger, and yes, they are 100% badass..

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/23/13 10:17 p.m.

Newperbird!

It's better proportioned than the original, but still pretty silly. It actually wouldn't look bad without the spoiler.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
12/23/13 10:31 p.m.

This car has been out for a while, a couple years at least. I agree that it looks like a real life Muscle Machine.

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
12/23/13 10:48 p.m.

Do not want!

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
12/24/13 12:00 a.m.

Another inch or so larger wheels and a scoch lower in the front. I love the body work and the wing. It nails the modern retro theme way better than any other car today that has attempted it.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
12/24/13 12:08 a.m.

Funny, most of the reactions to Petty's new Bird are the same reactions people had to the to the originals.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
12/24/13 12:11 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: Do not want!

hip hip horay.......

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/24/13 2:55 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Funny, most of the reactions to Petty's new Bird are the same reactions people had to the to the originals.

you think they will waste away on dealer lots for years before being practically given away to whoever decides to take it off their lot, then become worth mega dollars 25 years later when the few people that knew what they were when they were have a boat load of expendable income since none of their kids actually decided to go to college?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose HalfDork
12/24/13 3:17 a.m.

That's pretty terrible.
Too massive vertically, at least the originals had some sleekness to them.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
12/24/13 6:25 a.m.
DWNSHFT wrote:

interesting - looks like this to me.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/24/13 7:17 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Needs more wing.

Wing's TOO big.

The only reason the original Superbird's wing was that high was so that the trunk lid would clear it. It looks like the trunk lid on this one would clear it by about a foot, easy.

/function over form

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/24/13 7:21 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Funny, most of the reactions to Petty's new Bird are the same reactions people had to the to the originals.

Have heard many stories of originals being altered by dealerships to production Charger/Road Runner bodywork just so they could sell the damn things.

That said, the number of people who want wheels almost larger than the tires themselves is... disheartening.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/24/13 8:06 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: FNF featured a widebody Challenger, and yes, they are 100% badass..

They nailed this one. 100% want.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/13 9:11 a.m.

Funny that no one mentioned that there is no Plymouth anymore....

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/13 9:24 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote:
DWNSHFT wrote:
interesting - looks like this to me.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
12/24/13 11:39 a.m.

So let me get this straight; the original Superbird looks the way it does out of necessity. The trunk needed to open, hence the huge wing, the bumps over the front fenders were installed because the aero on the nose pushed the front of the car down at higher speeds and the tires rubbed the top-inner fender. The nose-cowl was added to cut through the air better at track speeds.

And this car was built to just look like that car? I don't get that at all.

TAParker
TAParker Reader
12/24/13 12:34 p.m.

I like it.....looks pretty sweeeeet

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
12/24/13 2:57 p.m.

Other than the wing I like it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
re9HVIU4cgIRxvRQSw0FwnvfLeYagHAKsZFR0fk8Td6yNlOCXfV8o5kowLczbkMD