1 2
m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/10/10 10:21 a.m.

I still have my sights on a BiTurbo, but should one not be found within budget when time for the Milano to find a new owner comes, Peugeot 505 Turbos seem appealing.

Anyone have any experiances/warnings? On paper they seem pretty enticing.

Or am I crazy?

Raze
Raze Dork
8/10/10 10:28 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Or am I crazy?

Says the guy who went from a Merkur to an Alfa...

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
8/10/10 10:33 a.m.

505 was a better than average multi-passenger vehicle. It had a wonderful ride, VERY compliant... and yet not awful when it came to handling. The 505 was VERY popular w NY cabbies back in their day.... the diesel was economical.

Without the service tools(special Peugeot only things), some tasks are nearly impossible... If you have the tools, then it is fine...

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
8/10/10 10:35 a.m.

I want one.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
8/10/10 10:39 a.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

What sort of tasks are we talking about, what should scare someone away from a potential 505 purchase?

I didn't know these were rear wheel drive until looking them up just now, suddenly I'm much more interested...

m4ff3w
8/10/10 10:42 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I didn't know these were rear wheel drive until looking them up just now, suddenly I'm much more interested...

I'd love a 405-Mi16 if it were RWD. I'm just bigoted against FWD. You sound similar.

m4ff3w
8/10/10 10:44 a.m.
Raze wrote:
m4ff3w wrote: Or am I crazy?
Says the guy who went from a Merkur to an Alfa...

I don't understand what you are implying.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
8/10/10 10:45 a.m.

I have no idea about these cars whatsoever - typically I dont like the french, their cars, their silly military, their politics, their weird cigarettes, their towers or their food...but this thing looks like it begs to be fooled about with until something naughty pops out of the garage...

Hotlinked for S&G's

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
8/10/10 11:00 a.m.

In reply to m4ff3w:

I know it's not that much more work but the thought of pulling an average FWD drivetrain to replace a clutch or similar part just seems more complex than RWD. And much harder without an air driven impact wrench. Where as something like my Capri, even with the rust, was no big deal without air.

Plus it's awfully hard to do a power slide with the driven wheels at the front.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
8/10/10 12:03 p.m.

There's a 505 that has been hillclimbing in the Northeast forever now, more than once it has had trees cut down around it for extrication and it just keeps going!

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
8/10/10 12:33 p.m.

I like peugeot 505s, but I only like wagon ones with no sunroof.. I dont particularly like most turbo ones, because they are almost all automatic, and they almost all have a sunroof, which means they have literally 2 inches less headroom the the minimum I would need to drive one. At least around here, they are mostly automatics and either non turbo gas, or diesel. You can sometimes find one with the PRV V6 (all automatic from what i have seen), or a manual diesel, but thats about it.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
8/10/10 12:35 p.m.

I learned to drive in a 1984 Peugeot 505 STi Turbo Diesel.

Great car. Ran well, smooth, decent power and great economy. 5 speed, an auto would have been miserable.

My dad had 3 of them, all diesels. He used these to keep the other one running. Without a parts car, you would be truly SOL for Peugeot ownership. Only odd things that ever happened to it were stripped gears in the sunroof motor (fixed with a parts car), cracked tail light lense (backed into a car when learining to drive, fixed with a parts car), oil cooler lines leaked (had a hose shop make new lines), glow plugs burned out (cheap from a parts store), needed a new key made (same as an AMC), and it had an appetite for the little diaphragm in the fuel filter that acted as the primer. Replaced this with a filter assembly from a piece of farm equipment, gained a nice spin-on fuel filter and no problems since.

Great car, and I would love another one (or 3, as you need parts cars)

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
8/10/10 12:45 p.m.

Feel free to send me a message and I can put you into contact with the hillclimber that has run more than one 505. They do appear to be pretty damn tough. Though, last I heard, parts are tough to come by. You can see pictures/video of it in the hillclimb.org thread, pics/vid The vid is posted by user "rabbithead". Unfortunately, the run didn't end well.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
8/10/10 1:09 p.m.

Man, there's a decent 405 Mi16 on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hard-Find-1991-Peufeot-Mi16-Euro-Car-Year-/230509787047?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

But here's your wagon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/505-TURBO-WAGON-Low-Low-Low-Miles-/200506394609?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Buy them both and be the coolest, or wierdest, guy on your block.

m4ff3w
8/10/10 1:19 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote: Man, there's a decent 405 Mi16 on Ebay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hard-Find-1991-Peufeot-Mi16-Euro-Car-Year-/230509787047?pt=US_Cars_Trucks But here's your wagon: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/505-TURBO-WAGON-Low-Low-Low-Miles-/200506394609?pt=US_Cars_Trucks Buy them both and be the coolest, or wierdest, guy on your block.

I'm the only one with a Alfa Milano and a W123 280E on my block. everything else is trucks, suvs, and minivans.

Am I not already the coolest, or weirdest, guy on my block?

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
8/10/10 1:33 p.m.

Awesome! I say coolest.

Jeff
Jeff Dork
8/10/10 1:47 p.m.

I remember this car at the '82 POR.

Hot linked for your pleasure!

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
8/10/10 2:03 p.m.

My father used to be heavily involved in putting on car shows for the hot rod/classics/muscle car crowd here in Eugene. At every show there was an engine blow contest. Folks would place a bet on how long the car would last with no oil and a brick on the pedal at WOT. About 8 years ago the donated car was a 505 diesel. I dont think anybody bet on anything higher than 5 minutes since them french cars are all crap you know

After 45 minutes of it screaming away they got bored and shut it off. The owner let it cool for 20 minutes. Filled it up with oil and drove it home. Last I heard it was still going strong a few years later.

If I could find a 505 turbo 5spd wagon I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Powar
Powar Dork
8/10/10 2:40 p.m.

I don't know much about them except that I like them a little too much.

slefain
slefain Dork
8/10/10 2:56 p.m.

I can only tell you that I had a 1984 505 Turbo Diesel with a manual transmission. I should have never sold it. Kicking myself for ten years now.

bluesideup
bluesideup New Reader
8/10/10 3:13 p.m.

I learned to drive on a 505 Turbo wagon just like the one on ebay except dark blue. The suspension was fairly stiff, the vacuum lines for the wastegate need to be replaced periodically, and make absolutely sure the driveshaft carrier bearings are lubed regularly.

The driveshaft is enclosed so when those bearings go out you have to cut the bottom of the car to replace them. This turned out to be the death of my parent's car at 125K because my dad never lubed the driveshaft. Neat cars if you can get them cheap enough.

Shaun
Shaun Reader
8/10/10 5:54 p.m.

I owned an non turbo 505. I do not remember the specs, The good bits as I remember: It felt light, handled well, had 4 wheel disk brakes that worked well, IRS that worked very well, LSD!!!, Returned decent mileage, could haul 4 adults and their stuff, and looked really good (I Think). The Not So Good- It fell apart daily, the shifter was unbearably vague, I could not find any parts for it anywhere reasonable ish- let alone locally, it needed lots of special (it seemed to me) tools, and generally had very poor build quality. I gave it away. I loved it and everything, but compared to the Volvos i was used to it was poorly constructed cotton candy.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
8/10/10 5:56 p.m.

Apparently the bolt pattern is an oddball 4 lug with the same PCD as 6 lug light trucks so folks just drill two extra holes in truck wheels and bolt em up. Cheap and wide

Hocrest
Hocrest Reader
8/10/10 6:21 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Apparently the bolt pattern is an oddball 4 lug with the same PCD as 6 lug light trucks so folks just drill two extra holes in truck wheels and bolt em up. Cheap and wide

Yeah, 4x140 the same as Older Subaru's. I have a set of 15" on my Brat.

The good news is that if you're looking for 13" wheels for it, you're in luck

bluesideup
bluesideup New Reader
8/10/10 6:53 p.m.

Like the Volvo wagons through the 940 the Peugeot wagons have a solid rear axle. The sedans have IRS.

I remember my dad being all bent out of shape about the 390mm wheels. I think the only tire available is the not so cheap Michelin TRX.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cUPcmVYeCroFzycVU7otDAijvjRKpceXOhLOVJb1lD9kMe9PweBRFkBjwcjbCCYU