1 2 3 ... 5
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/17 7:24 a.m.

Now that Photobucket is being a total jerk-face...

How hard would it be for a few of us to get together and set up our own little photo hosting site, with the goal being easy posting to this forum?

I'm thinking along the lines of a group buying into an existing, easy to use format, with a semi-huge storage capacity, kind of like a business account.

Thoughts?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
6/30/17 7:37 a.m.

Would the Staff of GRM be interested in expanding their web-site capacity and hosting the pics here? Kinda like an online forum subscription fee? I know I would rather give my $$$ to support them, than some other platform (like Photo Bucket)

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/30/17 7:38 a.m.

Assuming it isn't anything you car about being out in the ether, I like to use http://postimg.org. You can upload from your phone, without an account. Then select how long you want it to exist before it deletes (there is an option for never). You don't have an account though, so once it is up it is no longer yours to delete or manage.

But the most brilliant part about it, at least using it from the phone, is that you upload... however many images you want. Then immediately after upload, you can copy all of the links for hotlinking on a forum--literally the easiest way I've ever found to do this. I can post 20 pictures in one post without worrying about the tags at all.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/30/17 7:39 a.m.

I like the idea. It needs to have good mobile functionality, which PB lacked.
We could call it PhotoGO

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/30/17 7:42 a.m.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/30/17 7:43 a.m.

Less than 3 minutes between taking 3 pictures with my iPhone, uploading them to Postimg.org, and hotlinking them here. It literally lets you copy a hotlink for all of the pictures you uploaded and paste them directly into the post.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
6/30/17 7:44 a.m.

At that point wouldn't it just be easier for GRM to upgrade to that capability? Just click and post. (that said, other than being willing to chip in 10 bucks I don't know anything about how computers work or what would be involved)

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/30/17 7:45 a.m.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
6/30/17 7:52 a.m.

I sent Photobucket a pretty explicit email telling them exactly what they could do with particular parts of my body before deleting my account.

The entire berkeleying point of that website was third party hosting, and holding my pictures ransom for $400 is not how you earn my business.

The United States of America does not negotiate with terrorists, and neither do I.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
6/30/17 7:56 a.m.

It really sucks, I've used Photobucket since 2005 and I've put up with their BS all this time. I find their iPhone app to be great and haven't been on the web site in years but now that they are going to play this way I've got no choice but to copy 5000 pictures to a hard drive and move them elsewhere.

Woody, I would be in on a photo hosting site; it appears that it wouldn't be very expensive or take much work.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/17 8:02 a.m.

In reply to mtn:

Can we streamline and make it faster than that?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/17 8:03 a.m.

Bringing this up at since Woody mentioned it. I'd be willing to help. I've set up my own picture hosting lately. Here's the site software if you want to see how it works.

http://www.stampie.com/copper/

I wouldn't host it on stampie.com but I'd be willing to help set up a dedicated site for it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/30/17 8:14 a.m.

Thanks for the suggestions and interest, and we can look into it. To be honest, though, I don't think we have the manpower to set up and manage a photo hosting site. Just managing this site takes up a ton of time.

On a semi-related note, we're working on a refresh for the message board. It will get increased functionality. Ed can discuss the details better than I can, but linking to photos should be even easier. You'll still need to host them, though.

For photo hosting, I have been happy with Flickr. Plus sometimes I cheat and link to photos that I already posted on Facebook or Twitter.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/30/17 8:16 a.m.

In for updates. PB has been sliding into the crapper for more time than I can remember. Now, some of my photos "have been moved or deleted"? DAFUQ? I dont ever move photos once theyre linked somewhere, which is basically the only reason I host there in the first place. Berk those berkers.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/30/17 8:18 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: On a semi-related note, we're working on a refresh for the message board. It will get increased functionality...

ooohhh, mayhaps a board of leaders? Could also be called a leaderboard, if youre looking for names for one of the "must have" items that we are all hoping are included

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/30/17 8:36 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: ...I've got no choice but to copy 5000 pictures to a hard drive and move them elsewhere.

Is there an easy way to make this move? Is there a button like "select all"?

I have 1702 pictures and 54 videos on Photobucket and have not yet gotten the ransom letter so now might be the right time to move.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/30/17 8:37 a.m.

I'm all about some imgur. I find it easiest to upload, does all the formatting for forums, links, etc and gives you multiple sizes of thumbnail to choose from.

David S. Wallens
6/30/17 8:37 a.m.

And I'm going to see a friend this weekend who's a coder by day. Let me see what he thinks about all of this.

David S. Wallens
6/30/17 8:48 a.m.

And Amazon offers free photo hosting, of course assuming that you have Prime.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
6/30/17 8:49 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And Amazon offers free photo hosting, of course assuming that you have Prime.

Really? I'm a Prime member and didn't know that! Where on their website is the photo hosting?

David S. Wallens
6/30/17 8:50 a.m.

David S. Wallens
6/30/17 8:52 a.m.

It just took me about a minute to set up photo hosting with Amazon and upload and share the above photo. That's not bad. I did have to cheat to share the photo, though--instead of using their link I just opened the photo itself in a new window and linked to that.

Editing to add a PS: Yeah, the original photo is that crappy. Don't blame the host for it.

David S. Wallens
6/30/17 8:53 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: And Amazon offers free photo hosting, of course assuming that you have Prime.
Really? I'm a Prime member and didn't know that! Where on their website is the photo hosting?

I just Googled "Amazon photo hosting" but this should be the direct link.

David S. Wallens
6/30/17 8:54 a.m.

Also, has anyone linked photos from iCloud? I haven't tried that yet.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
6/30/17 8:55 a.m.
Stampie wrote: Bringing this up at since Woody mentioned it. I'd be willing to help. I've set up my own picture hosting lately. Here's the site software if you want to see how it works. http://www.stampie.com/copper/ I wouldn't host it on stampie.com but I'd be willing to help set up a dedicated site for it.

When I started having issues with google photos I decided to host my own I looked at coppermine but I liked Chevereto free better for hosting my pictures.

photos.moxnix.org

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EMJbDk4UQXmSVcxj7fnPbDwTMrf94XbC9Y2ZNfeEqRisBRsffyJrhu4iJaf2R6lr