1 2 3 4 5
grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/30/17 11:37 a.m.

amazon prime and google both have unlimited jpg uploads. I tell my clients to upload their photos there all the time. Works well.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/17 11:39 a.m.
moxnix wrote:
Stampie wrote: Bringing this up at since Woody mentioned it. I'd be willing to help. I've set up my own picture hosting lately. Here's the site software if you want to see how it works. http://www.stampie.com/copper/ I wouldn't host it on stampie.com but I'd be willing to help set up a dedicated site for it.
When I started having issues with google photos I decided to host my own I looked at coppermine but I liked Chevereto free better for hosting my pictures. photos.moxnix.org

I'll check that out. I was just familiar with Coppermine from using it years ago. Thanks.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/30/17 12:29 p.m.
grover wrote: amazon prime and google both have unlimited jpg uploads. I tell my clients to upload their photos there all the time. Works well.

And you can probably assume that both will be around for some time to come.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
6/30/17 12:46 p.m.

It is just now starting to sink in the amount of information that the internet has lost with photobuckets move.

I had been looking at the problem as a personal hassle but I wasn't thinking about just how much information and awesomeness that is out there that was just lost.

David S. Wallens
6/30/17 12:54 p.m.
Jumper K. Balls wrote: It is just now starting to sink in the amount of information that the internet has lost with photobuckets move. I had been looking at the problem as a personal hassle but I wasn't thinking about just how much information and awesomeness that is out there that was just lost.

Good point. We are all generation so much digital content--volumes each second. And it can disappear just as quickly.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
6/30/17 1:25 p.m.

If they had been reasonable, it would be more understandable. But even people already paying for the lower tier services are getting jacked. Yeah, they've pretty much convinced quite a few people to never trust them again.

My ISP at one point provided 20 GB of personal web-hosting space, but they took that away and raised the cost of my service almost 100% over the last few years. If I can't get Amazon to work, I'll set up my own space somewhere. Amazon is pretty stable, but they could also block third-party hosting.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
6/30/17 1:26 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: I like the idea. It needs to have good mobile functionality, which PB lacked. We could call it PhotoGO

I'd suggest photoBERKIT.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/30/17 2:52 p.m.
Tactical Penguin wrote:
EastCoastMojo wrote: I like the idea. It needs to have good mobile functionality, which PB lacked. We could call it PhotoGO
I'd suggest photoBERKIT.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/30/17 2:58 p.m.
Tactical Penguin wrote:
I'd suggest photoBERKIT.

Hahaha, I like that so much better!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
6/30/17 4:35 p.m.

Botophucket

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/17 4:49 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Jumper K. Balls wrote: It is just now starting to sink in the amount of information that the internet has lost with photobuckets move. I had been looking at the problem as a personal hassle but I wasn't thinking about just how much information and awesomeness that is out there that was just lost.
Good point. We are all generation so much digital content--volumes each second. And it can disappear just as quickly.

This is our own personal Y2K.

jamscal
jamscal Dork
6/30/17 4:56 p.m.

So the tinfoil people say photobucket is owned by facebook (not from what I could find though), and they are trying to kill forums entirely...to move the rest of the world to FB.

A lot of sites have a ton of tech with pics...hosted by PB. There is no way people are going to rehost photos, and then go back and edit their posts...heck I'm sure some people are dead by now, or have moved on to other interests.

It's really hurt me on a forum I sell stuff on...I'll have to make new postings for some. They needed cleaned up anyway, and I was using a free hosting site, but still...dick move.

I'll attempt to never use them again.

David S. Wallens
6/30/17 5:26 p.m.
Woody wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote:
This is our own personal Y2K.

"YTK? Yeah, we got that."

(That quote provided just for JG's amusement.)

wae
wae Dork
6/30/17 5:58 p.m.

Welcome to the Internet of (Rented) Things...

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
6/30/17 8:21 p.m.

Seriously guys, I'd pay an annual subscription to be able to email or text a photo to dorkphoto@whattheberk.grm or whatever and have someone reply with a link I can just cut and paste into the forum. I don't need the replies immediately, it's not like delaying photos is going to delay the project or anything, and if someone makes enough to fund their challenge car off the rest of us, more power to them.

Sidebar: What if community beneficial activities could be used to raise your challenge budget cap? ECM could run in the 200x0 class.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/30/17 9:52 p.m.
John Welsh wrote:
chandlerGTi wrote: ...I've got no choice but to copy 5000 pictures to a hard drive and move them elsewhere.
Is there an easy way to make this move? Is there a button like "select all"? I have 1702 pictures and 54 videos on Photobucket and have not yet gotten the ransom letter so now might be the right time to move.

Too late. I got hit tonight. All links dead but no emailed ransom note, yet.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
7/1/17 4:58 a.m.

John, you can still access them, they just aren't 3rd party hosting them. There is no quick or easy way to transfer the pictures that I have found. I made it through 500 or so but I've been deleting a lot as I go also.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/17 6:52 a.m.

Flicker tried this a while back and it backfired on them. Photobucket will probibly loose so many users that in a year they will have to reinstate it but the damage will have been done and there will be no trust in them as a hosting service. In the short run there will be a small percentage that will pay but they will not get new subscribers after that and the number of paying users will drop dramatically as each month passes. This is a big one time money grab on there part.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
7/1/17 10:55 a.m.
jamscal wrote: So the tinfoil people say photobucket is owned by facebook (not from what I could find though), and they are trying to kill forums entirely...to move the rest of the world to FB. A lot of sites have a ton of tech with pics...hosted by PB. There is no way people are going to rehost photos, and then go back and edit their posts...heck I'm sure some people are dead by now, or have moved on to other interests. It's really hurt me on a forum I sell stuff on...I'll have to make new postings for some. They needed cleaned up anyway, and I was using a free hosting site, but still...dick move. I'll attempt to never use them again.

I really hope that isn't the case. Facebook is AWFUL for technical discussion, build threads, etc. You can't search it, and anyone can comment and act like they're an expert, even when they're not. Then you try to correct someone and get shouted down by a bunch of retards that don't know E36 M3. It's an echo chamber of idiocy and self-perpetrating stupidity.

Basically, it's the movie Idiocracy come to life.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/17 10:57 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: Seriously guys, I'd pay an annual subscription to be able to email or text a photo to dorkphoto@whattheberk.grm or whatever and have someone reply with a link I can just cut and paste into the forum. I don't need the replies immediately, it's not like delaying photos is going to delay the project or anything, and if someone makes enough to fund their challenge car off the rest of us, more power to them. Sidebar: What if community beneficial activities could be used to raise your challenge budget cap? ECM could run in the 200x0 class.

It's actually not technically that difficult to do this. The main issues are a) making sure only authorised users can email pictures and b) even the authorised users are posting material of an, err, too adult kind because a lot of the hosting providers forbid that in the T&C.

Let me noodle on this for a bit to see if I can come up with a suitable script.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
7/1/17 11:18 a.m.

Be a little careful of putting the Amazon stuff on your computer. By itself it went through my computer and grabbed documents, pictures, programs etc and threw them in an "Amazon Drive" on my computer.

Which resulted in my wife totally FREAKING out on me. I managed to find everything but now she has to go through all of it again and move it back to where she wants it.

She's NOT happy.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
7/1/17 11:22 a.m.

Photobucket is dead to me. Testing imgur using BBcode..

edit... smaller 2nd picture...

edit.... small square?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/17 12:32 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
jamscal wrote: So the tinfoil people say photobucket is owned by facebook (not from what I could find though), and they are trying to kill forums entirely...to move the rest of the world to FB. A lot of sites have a ton of tech with pics...hosted by PB. There is no way people are going to rehost photos, and then go back and edit their posts...heck I'm sure some people are dead by now, or have moved on to other interests. It's really hurt me on a forum I sell stuff on...I'll have to make new postings for some. They needed cleaned up anyway, and I was using a free hosting site, but still...dick move. I'll attempt to never use them again.
I really hope that isn't the case. Facebook is AWFUL for technical discussion, build threads, etc. You can't search it, and anyone can comment and act like they're an expert, even when they're not. Then you try to correct someone and get shouted down by a bunch of retards that don't know E36 M3. It's an echo chamber of idiocy and self-perpetrating stupidity. Basically, it's the movie* Idiocracy *come to life.

All that, and Facebook is shielded from Google and other search services. It's a walled sandbox, the opposite of what the Internet is supposed to be.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/17 12:41 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
oldopelguy wrote: Seriously guys, I'd pay an annual subscription to be able to email or text a photo to dorkphoto@whattheberk.grm or whatever and have someone reply with a link I can just cut and paste into the forum. I don't need the replies immediately, it's not like delaying photos is going to delay the project or anything, and if someone makes enough to fund their challenge car off the rest of us, more power to them. Sidebar: What if community beneficial activities could be used to raise your challenge budget cap? ECM could run in the 200x0 class.
It's actually not technically that difficult to do this. The main issues are a) making sure only authorised users can email pictures and b) even the authorised users are posting material of an, err, too adult kind because a lot of the hosting providers forbid that in the T&C. Let me noodle on this for a bit to see if I can come up with a suitable script.

If you only wanted to it for your personal use and you don't do anything stupid with what you upload, it wouldn't be all that difficult. You could get rid of a lot of the polish and failsafes. Then just host it on Bluehost or something, and you'd have control for as long as you wanted.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/1/17 12:53 p.m.

The adage of, "Once on the internet, always on the internet," just isn't true. Photobucket just demonstrated that, and Yahoo demonstrated it years ago when they shut down Geocities. Stuff disappears from the internet for one reason or the other all the time. It actually make me sad how many great websites and apps no longer exist because they got bought out and shut down.

To keep your own pics safe, get a free Dropbox account, install the app on both your phone and computer, and enable photo uploads from your phone. This ensures your photos get onto your computer. Keep your computer backed up (I use Backblaze), and move the pics out of your Dropbox folder (and into your Picture folder, on a Windows machine) when it gets full. (This can be easily handled by a scheduled batch file that runs every hour, every day, whatever.)

If you want to make sure you never have to go back and edit forum posts to point a new image host, be your own image host. Serve pics from your own web server. Keep it backed up as well, and be prepared to move web hosts if necessary. (Many shared hosting accounts don't allow your allotted space to be used for pure file storage, so be aware of the T&Cs.) A proper backup makes moving web hosts pretty painless. Your images will work again once the new host is up and running, no post editing necessary. Meaning, example.com/hotlinkedphoto.jpg will work the same no matter where example.com is hosted. If you really want to have some educational fun, learn how to host a website using Amazon's AWS. There are plenty of tutorials online about it.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vv50WQPGHgj7sBb8IpuNTzxpHZ3c5UrNHHijNBRW30eHv1hQPVeGUickTJ0U3VLc