1 2 3
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/18/17 12:50 p.m.

So, if you had the option of a 2001 Camaro Z28 hard top with an auto and 160k miles. looks like this:

or a 1998 Mustang GT 4.6/5-spd with 160k miles that looks like this:

Both are the same price. Which would you choose and why?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/17 12:55 p.m.

Camaro.

Looks.

Engine potential.

Ugliest mustang ever (and it has V6 wheels on it, I think).

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
1/18/17 12:56 p.m.

Camaro for all the reasons wvumtnbkr said.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/18/17 12:57 p.m.

Mustang. Already a 5 spd, so no manual swap. I've read they are somewhat easier to work on than the F4. I'm generally more of a Ford guy.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/18/17 12:57 p.m.

Probably the Camaro.

LS>Non-PI modular (better than PI too but less so)

Three years newer

Better wheels

Likely better suspension design (no evidence other than hearsay)

The manual vs auto is a hangup but I still say bow tie (Ford man at heart too...).

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/17 12:59 p.m.

Ugh. Mustang is a much nicer car to drive but the Camaro has a better drivetrain. That Camaro has also been severely uglified in color and wheel choice.

Talk about your dilemmas. I'll have to say Miata.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/18/17 1:01 p.m.

Make a difference if the engine in the mustang is the 2001 PI motor with 30k miles?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/17 1:08 p.m.

As a Mustang owner, the Camaro. All day, every day. 2V motors are dogs, the suspension design is garbage, and the Camaro is superior in every measurable way. The torque arm rear suspension in the Camaro is superior to even all of the aftermarket stuff for the Mustang, and so is the SLA front end. Obviously you know what an LS1 can do. And the 4L80E trans is actually very strong and even if you don't like it you can swap it for T56 probably straight across. Hardtops are really rate in those years, check the RPO tag in the hatch area to see if it was a B4C or a 1LE.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/18/17 1:10 p.m.

Camaro and learn to aggressively LFB for autocross. And rallycross. And burnouts.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/18/17 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Do you feel like sending thousands of dollars to Griggs and/or MM to bring the Mustang suspension up to a level non-laughable functionality? No? Then Camaro all the way - and my experience driving 4th-gen F-bodies was "entertaining"...

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
1/18/17 1:13 p.m.

Camaro FTW.

wae
wae Dork
1/18/17 1:14 p.m.

Mustang.

It's got three pedals and I don't particularly care for the looks of that generation of the Crammit. Those wheels aren't helping. Also, there's something about GM interiors that I just don't like. As a very recent development, however, if that Crammit was a 3rd gen, I'd probably lean that way.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/18/17 1:16 p.m.

INTERESTING..... wife is the one that pointed out the camaro. Not a fan of auto's in them but the price is interesting. Sad thing that is the only picture. so a text has gone out for more info.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
1/18/17 1:21 p.m.

All things being equal, I'd go Camaro. But the auto trans would be the deal breaker for me, so if I had no other choice between those two, I'd go Mustang for that reason alone.

Why? Because I drive stick, so I'm better than everyone...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
1/18/17 1:22 p.m.

Also the non-pop up headlight Camaros are becoming visually more interesting to me as they age. They were the best of the breed initially and are becoming thin on the ground. Clean ones are very eye catching.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/18/17 1:23 p.m.

Meh, the auto isn't so bad in the mullet-machine. It has enough torque to overcome most of it's problems, and you can always switch to a fully manual valve body for relatively cheap.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/18/17 1:25 p.m.

Either one would require you to grow a mullet and move into a single wide, but steering into the skid I'm gonna have to say......Camaro.

Or keep looking and find an NB Miata and enjoy E-street PAX.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/18/17 1:29 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Also the non-pop up headlight Camaros are becoming visually more interesting to me as they age. They were the best of the breed initially and are becoming thin on the ground. Clean ones are very eye catching.

Just so you know, Camaro's have never had pop-up lights. Firebirds have since 1982.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/18/17 1:30 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Either one would require you to grow a mullet and move into a single wide, but steering into the skid I'm gonna have to say......Camaro. Or keep looking and find an NB Miata and enjoy E-street PAX.

Dude, I already had a sub .800 PAX with STF. I'm looking for pushrods and V8 noises (even though the mustang isn't pushrod). If I found a notchback Fox body out there.... I'd be all over it like a fat kid and cake.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/18/17 1:39 p.m.

Mustang. Isn't the reason obvious?

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
1/18/17 1:41 p.m.

Camaro, and my summer DD is a fox-body Mustang.

Those early 4.6's are kind of a low point for Mustangs, and I think we are all familiar with what's so good about the LS1 in the Camaro.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
1/18/17 1:45 p.m.

That Camaro is going to do stuff way better than the Mustang out of the box. The wheels should be easier to sell (if you don't like them) than what's on the Mustang. If you ball it up, the drivetrain will be worth more as a swap candidate than what's in the Mustang.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
1/18/17 1:46 p.m.

Camaro.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
1/18/17 1:58 p.m.

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/5926275754.html

This one! (except for the miles, ignore the miles)

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
1/18/17 2:16 p.m.

Camaro seems to be the favorite.

Not to highjack the thread, but what are the thoughts on 3.8 V6 with five speed crammits from the 4th gen?

They are normally under challenge budget and rwd fun.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mXRzjCVW1ou3JFf8agFbMGf0eDexrTDP9nKwSIqeeybu3adgIYKcQYle7PtFLQjH