1 2 3
CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
1/18/17 2:18 p.m.

Camaro. If they are the same price, I would say you are getting the better buy with the Z-28, as I would bet it holds its value better over time.

As others have said, I'm not even a huge fan of that generation of Camaro (it feels huge around you), but you definitely get more potential out of that package.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/18/17 2:18 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/5926275754.html This one! (except for the miles, ignore the miles)

Np price on that one. THose here are usually $5k regardless of miles.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
1/18/17 2:23 p.m.

I've been eying This one for awhile now, but can't take on another project. It needs work, but probably has more potential for fast lap times and is kind of local to you. Pushrod v8, tons of tire, RWD, appears to have some interesting suspension mods and a bit of racing history.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/18/17 2:26 p.m.
STM317 wrote: I've been eying This one for awhile now, but can't take on another project. It needs work, but probably has more potential and is kind of local to you. Pushrod v8, tons of tire, RWD, appears to have some interesting suspension mods and a bit of racing history.

That one's way beyond my skillset unfortunately.

akylekoz
akylekoz Reader
1/18/17 2:32 p.m.

Unless that is a 3/4 ton camaro it will have a 4L60E.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/18/17 2:32 p.m.

hONESTLY, this one would be a fantastci deal for somebody. It's a bit out of my budget at this time though.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
1/18/17 2:34 p.m.

Camaro. It's not exactly handsome, but at least it evokes some sort of emotion, unlike the Mustang, which looks like a mid-'90s Toyota product. I prefer the Trans Am's styling over the Camaros though. The Camaro has better suspension, an infinitely better engine and when you get into big-bore American V8 powerbands a stickshift isn't strictly necessary. The engine bay isn't a great place to work in, but the engine itself is easier to work on than the Ford, so I feel that balances things out. Camaro ergonomics are a little wonky if you are on the tall side and the rear axle is weak.

Mister Fister
Mister Fister Reader
1/18/17 2:34 p.m.

Transmarobirds all day long.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/18/17 2:42 p.m.

The Camaro is the better car by pretty much every quantifiable metric but I prefer the looks of the Mustang.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
1/18/17 2:53 p.m.

Based on performance? Crammit. A buddy had a '98 v6 auto. Most fun I've ever had off-road.

All things considered? I'd say pick the one that hasn't been smoked in. Good luck with that.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/18/17 2:58 p.m.

The Mustang. Learn to live with the 1978 Fairmont rear suspension and call it 'some of it's charm'. That's what the vintage Jags guys call it.

gixxeR
gixxeR New Reader
1/18/17 3:00 p.m.

Camaro. Swap in a 6spd, ss hood, keep the bbs looking wheels.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
1/18/17 3:22 p.m.

If those are the same price then either the camaro is a bargain or the mustang is overpriced.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
1/18/17 3:45 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I'm looking for pushrods and V8 noises (even though the mustang isn't pushrod). If I found a notchback Fox body out there.... I'd be all over it like a fat kid and cake.

Have you been looking for 94-95 Mustangs, with the last of the pushrod 5.0's? Those are still pretty common compared to Fox bodies from what I've seen around here, and are better than the 2V Mod motors. I also love the way the exhaust is incorporated as a styling element on the early SN95's too, with no frilly tips necessary.

Also look for LT1 Camaro's and Firebird's, as they are cheaper and better looking than the LS1 models, as long as you don't mind the 'lesser' engine.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/17 3:52 p.m.

from the driving position and experience alone. I would take the Mustang. My uncle had a white Z/28. I HATED driving that car. Years of driving both commercial and European cars has me liking sitting upright, not leaning back like I am on an acceleration couch bolted to the space shuttle

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
1/18/17 3:52 p.m.

I would take the Camaro. I had a 5.0/auto 95 GT in the same color and wasn't a huge fan. My 03 Mach 1 was world's better in every way and I loved that car, but the GT of that era just didn't do it for me.

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
1/18/17 3:56 p.m.

disregarding the comparison of those two cars in perfect condition, based on the photo the camaro looks in better shape. The body gaps on the mustang look as though the car is a bit tired, and perhaps has been driven by feel.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus New Reader
1/18/17 4:16 p.m.

probably mustang personally, but id look for a different mustang to come up. not that one

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
1/18/17 8:09 p.m.

I'd go Mustang. The manual gearbox makes it way easier to drift (clutch kicks for days), there's more room to mount a hydraulic handbrake, it has a bit more room for a helmet, and the section of the aftermarket that's both cheap and decent is huge. LSDs and gearing for 8.8s are super cheap and plentiful, and 4.6 2vs are a dime a dozen if you blow it up. Plus, those V6 wheels look like they'd make pretty good drift spares.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
1/18/17 8:49 p.m.

I'll walk.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/18/17 9:46 p.m.

Mer merm emr automatic mem mer mer.

Make it a drag race missile. Autos rule for consistency.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/17 10:06 p.m.

The automatic Camaro could be had with 2 different axle ratios 2.73 and 3.23. Check before you buy. (V8 manuals were all 3.42) As much as I hate automatics, newer ones like this are "less bad".

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/17 10:14 p.m.
NoBrakesRacing wrote: Camaro seems to be the favorite. Not to highjack the thread, but what are the thoughts on 3.8 V6 with five speed crammits from the 4th gen? They are normally under challenge budget and rwd fun.

I have been DD'ing a 2000 Firebird 3.8 5speed for a couple of years now and enjoy it. Look for a 2000-2002 car, throttle by wire and much better exhaust manifold and y-pipe design than earlier models. 98+ has upgraded brakes standard.

The real unicorns are the Y87 cars. (3800 performance pkg) They have limited slip diffs and Z28 suspension. Watch for people parting out V8's for cheap and easy upgrades. (sway bars, springs)

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
1/18/17 11:14 p.m.
NoBrakesRacing wrote: Camaro seems to be the favorite. Not to highjack the thread, but what are the thoughts on 3.8 V6 with five speed crammits from the 4th gen? They are normally under challenge budget and rwd fun.

If '98+ crammit V6, they have the same brakes as the V8 models, but in a lighter car... massive braking ability with decent pads and DOT-R rubber. The stock shifter is laughably bad (like playing the lottery trying to get it to go into 3rd gear bad), or at least it was on the one I had briefly with ~67k miles on it. Hurst Competition + shifter fixed it right up though...very nice shifter unit. Shocks were horrible and beyond bad with ~67k original miles on them...car was marginally dangerous to drive on the road - made for an interesting first autocross run with it in as bought stock condition. Figure replacing shifter mechanism for one that doesn't suck and new shocks into the cost of getting a 4th gen V6 with the manual.

Handling is very nice for what it is once you get decent shocks (Koni Sports), upgrade to large anti-roll bars (Hotchkis Sport set), and decent rubber (Nitto NT555RII in 275/40-17). Much happier at constant state turning than in transients though, it doesn't hide any of its weight in that regard. Still can slolam, but you will never mistake it for a lightweight sportscar. Acceleration was on par with my Acura Integra RS on track, but the Integra felt quicker. And from running both on the drag strip the Integra was indeed slightly quicker, V6 Camaro has too much mass compared to a less than 2300lb Integra RS track car with full fuel load. Braking was the V6 Camaro's absolute strongest point...could easily overbrake for turns with just Brembo blank rotors and Hawk HP+/HPS pads F/R. Braking system was phenominal on that car for a stock system, wish the FR-S had a stock braking system as good.

Stock seats are terrible for any kind of performance driving...and very questionable in their safety. With aftermarket racing seats though, you can get a very nice and secure driving position (and undoubtably have a much safer seat). It's actually the only car that I've had the absolute most perfect driving position in so far... my FR-S doesn't even come close. All it took was a 4-point rollbar, a Kirkey alumimum lightweight seat, racing harness, and a Sparco Ring steering wheel. Careful measurement and positional checking for making the seat brackets was key. At 6'2", with helmet on, I had MANY inches of headroom above the helmet.

The stupid implementation of powersteering system is a major weakpoint of the 4th gen camaro, it will fail on you from just spirited driving. Just autocrossing it will boil the fluid, and we are talking quality high temp racing fluid being used. The stock power steering pump really needs to be replaced with a racing unit (Turn-One) along with adding a cooling radiator/heat exchanger. Had the stock pump fail on mine during a track session. While I didn't really notice it much on track during the session, things changed once I was on the cooldown lap to come in. At low speeds it was near unbearable to turn, steering wheel was flexing and bending from the effort, and my V6 RS hardtop (the absolute lightest 4th gen configuration) was additionally stripped out and lightened compared to stock... weighed right @ 3200lbs with a nearly full tank.

All 4th gens are kind of a pain to deal with anything motor or transmission related...they shoved them as far back and into the middle tunnel of the car as possible. Spark plug changeout is measured in hours, and when the hydralic slave cylinder went out soon after I got the car it required dropping the motor/transmission for replacement - because they moved it inside the bellhousing with no access from the outside. When replacing the front shocks, there are THREE separate fastener standards/types you have to deal with - Metric, SAE, and Torx. And the sheetmetal is typical 90's GM...lots of sharp edges everywhere!

Needless to say I hated wrenching on that car... I liked how it could be made to handle and stop for how much of a pig it was, but that was about it. Once was enough for me...never again. I'm much more of a lightweight sportscar guy, and the Camaro just trips over its feet when trying to make it be a ballerina.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
1/19/17 9:50 a.m.

Gun to my head? The Z28. That being said, and I love the way the 4th gen 'maros look, I would hold out for a C4 Vette if possible. About 100X better in every way over the Z28.

You could probably get this car for close to the price of those other 2 https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5940045500.html

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eVon59NM89zIpYndoHNDsCH1TvAZfOoX48d1QJZA7dMPAa6aQN6IF8jO69gkkxV4