1 2 3
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/19/17 9:58 a.m.

Already had a C4. Wife hated being in it, and I didn't like it much either. Fun to drive, but no room inside for things like feet.

Stanger2000
Stanger2000 New Reader
1/19/17 10:50 a.m.

I'm sure we're all curious what the asking price is for said vehicles?

Have you test driven both cars? You're getting all different opinions here and seems most will sway towards the Z28, due to the power and handling out of the box. I've driven both of these cars in the past, well more a LS1 powered Trans Am than a Z28 but with the automatic. They're fast (mid 13's 1/4 stock) and handle well. I think the interior quality/egonomics are pretty lousy in the F-body's vs the SM95's. The non-PI Mustangs are dogs really and need things like gears, exhaust, maybe tune to even start waking them up. You'd still get walked by a relatively stock LS1 F-body. The Mustang is much more liveable driving it day to day though. Driving an F-body feels like your sitting directly on the floorboard, because you literally are. That Mustang in the pic looks very suspect w/ the awful headlight gap and 01+ V6 model 16" wheels, was it hit at some point? The only 4.6 2V Mustangs I'd consider personally would be the PI 99-04 versions.

Drive both and see how YOU feel. I'd also run a VIN background on both if you have the means to, unless they're very cheap and you can't see any obvious signs of prior work or damage around/on/underneath.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/19/17 10:58 a.m.

That's the fun part.... can't drive either because they're 1700 miles away in hte land of no rust.

Looks like the Camaro is the same issue as the last one anyway. no contact from the seller (what is up with these no-reponse sellers anyhow?). Pricing was $2600.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
1/19/17 11:41 a.m.

I'd get the Camaro so I could pull the LS out and use it in my 951. I'd then put one of my spare BMW M30B34s in, and have the world's oddest engine swap.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/19/17 12:03 p.m.

The camaro, based on driveline. Easier to boost.

Groats
Groats New Reader
1/19/17 2:23 p.m.

So I was in a similar predicament recently. Test drove a 2001 Mustang Cobra with the 5 speed. Call me Bob Costas, but I hated the pneumatic clutch. The car was so lowered that it brutally scraped when driving out of the lot.

Then I drove the picture below. 2000 Z28 with the six speed. It's yuuuge. Especially when parked next to my Miata. But it makes stupid loud noises and so far has been lots of fun. The big negative is that my short wife gets carsick when we drive around because she can't see over the hood.

Just got done adding a UMI adjustable torque arm and am reinstalling the wiring for the exhaust cutouts the previous owner had put in. Things are about to get even more stupid!!!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/17 3:42 p.m.

The Camaro. Why? I hated it less.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
1/19/17 3:49 p.m.

LS1 4th gen for $2,600 is unheard of around here. My son was looking and I don't think he saw any decent LT1's in that price range.

Granted, prices are high in my area, something to do with geographical isolation and lots of easy tech money.

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
1/19/17 7:22 p.m.

Camaro. Never been thrilled with any of the 4th gen styling, but I guess you can't see that when you're inside. I've generally preferred the T/A looks despite the superfluous plastic garbage on the outside. Ergonomics wise, 3rd/4th gen f bodies have always been fine for me since I'm a bit tall. However, the mustang does have some merits of it's own: Since the same chassis was built from 1979 to 2004, you have 25 years of used performance parts that can basically bolt in, PI motor swaps in ( I think) or at least you can swap on PI heads for a little more oomph. That said, I'm a suspension geek and all fox mustangs have the worst geometry and it will take not an insignificant amount of cash to get to even stock performance levels of the 4th gen.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
1/19/17 8:11 p.m.

Mustang, have you ever worked on a 4th gen fbody? Plus ten bolt explosions and well im a ford person.

The proper answer is foxbody!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/19/17 8:25 p.m.

Easy fix for sagging 4th gen seats. The foam cushion sits on wires running front to back which slice through the foam as it ages. Now you are sitting on basicly the wires and the seat cover itself. Slip a peice of thick cardboard between the foam and wires and suddenly you're 2 inches taller in the seat and much better supported!

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
1/19/17 9:12 p.m.

I'm confused as to why this is even a question Camorobird wins every time on every metric.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
1/19/17 9:14 p.m.

My 96 z28 was much quicker than my buddys cobra. But you want the 6 speed dude.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
1/19/17 11:13 p.m.

Gearheadotaku and Vracer111, thanks for the info.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
1/20/17 3:30 a.m.
NoBrakesRacing wrote: Gearheadotaku and Vracer111, thanks for the info.

You're welcome. Here's over a decade old footage of autocrossing and tracking in my V6 hardtop to kind of get an idea of what they are like:

V6 Crammit - autocrossn'

V6 Crammit - trackn'

Basically a very overweight miata that lost some of its agility...

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
1/20/17 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111:

Nice smooth driving. I like the definition that it's an overweight miata with less abilities.

I also like that I can put a kid's car seat in the back, which would make it easier to sell the idea to swmbo.

Thanks

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cGy7h4wB6V26h7nZmvwxIlwWAdIfP0BRDMnz4RBkUJkEy8dLadwPKdPJhkJdXF9h