This is being gifted to me tomorrow from a family friend. It needs the following-
- ramp system with some sort of ramp storage
- Lights and brakes wired
- some sort of tool/strap storage setup
- D-rings/anchors of some sort
- A hoist point to attach a come-a-long of some sort
- Wheel rack (can wait til later I suppose)
- Tongue jack
- Hinged drivers side fender to extricate myself from the car
I'm asking you for suggestions in design, layout, and materials.
I'd also like to beavertail the back 2'. Here is my thought process on doing so- portaband the back 2' off at a 90 to the ground, remove 1/4-1/2" or so off the bottom of the removed section, tapered to nothing at the top, and re-stitch back on. I was going to use flat plates to reinforce the sides of each frame rail as well at the joint. Any problems with doing it this way?
I'm well versed with a welder, and I can get stock through work. I was thinking something like .060 diamond plate runners with a hollow center. I'd run angle iron under the ends of the runners to eliminate sag. I might also brake a 45 or 90 degree turn up on the outboard sides for a little extra strength. The ramps, I honestly don't know how to attack them. My car has enough trouble with a 3" jack, let alone driving onto any trailer. Might have to get creative.
Any advice is appreciated.