1 2 3 ... 5
pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/12/20 4:42 p.m.

So I was perusing the local Facebook market place this weekend and stumbled across a Brey Krause roll bar extension for sale.  I wanted one of these when I had my black boxster because it would allow me to participate in PCA track days legitimately.  I really don't need one at the moment but the price was right, so of course I picked it up.

Looking at the thing in person I honestly am not sure how much actual safety it would provide but regardless they are expensive and only come up for sale on rare occasions.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/12/20 4:50 p.m.

As I was driving home I realized I really don't want a boxster with scabbed on roll bar extension, I want a cayman.

That got me thinking can i sell the roll bar extension and use the money recouped to eventually trade my way to a Cayman.  Shoot some Canadian guy traded his way from a red paper clip to a house.  If he can do it so can I.

So I am going to sell the roll bar extension and start working my way to a Cayman using only the money generated from selling it, and its subsequent transactions.

I won't count my time in the budget and I will use every trick I have learned in flipping cars for 20 years, not to mention my dealer license and auction contacts.  All the transactions will be automotive related.

I am giving myself a one year time frame in which to work my way to a Cayman.  Wish me luck.

Oh yeah I spent $250 for the extension so that's my starting point.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/20 5:01 p.m.

I like the plan. 

Are you setting a minimum Porsche level? I mean, there’s a 944 for $3k asking 15 miles from me. 924s are not valuable :)

RossD
RossD MegaDork
1/12/20 5:03 p.m.

The one red paperclip trick!

http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/?m=1

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/12/20 5:04 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I am shooting for a Cayman.  The jankiest ones are at least 12k. 

I never said  it would be easy wink

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/12/20 5:07 p.m.

Oh yeah, I wasted no time in listing the thing on Ebay.

Ebay linky to transaction #2

I guess buying the thing is officially transaction #1

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
1/12/20 5:26 p.m.

So, what Dwight did in the one Office episode, where he started with a thumb tack and ended up with a nice telescope ;)

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/20 6:46 p.m.

Awesome plan!  I hope you get to the Cayman!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/20 6:46 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

List it on Pelican. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/20 6:59 p.m.

Let's say he pulls this off....  is the car challenge legal?  It'd make for a fun article.  I will offer $350 shipped to Dallas to do my part.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/12/20 7:45 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

I appreciate the offer but I am going to see where the Ebay auction takes me.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/12/20 7:47 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

Okay I was thinking honestly to make $100 and cover shipping, I should bump my offer to $400, but I'm fine letting it go on fleabay too.  Good luck.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/12/20 8:22 p.m.

I like this. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/12/20 8:47 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Let's say he pulls this off....  is the car challenge legal?  It'd make for a fun article.  I will offer $350 shipped to Dallas to do my part.

I don't think so, because there's cash buys in and out. Now- if he managed to make his last cash buy under 2 grand and traded his way from there, I believe it would work. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/20 9:29 p.m.
Mndsm said:
AnthonyGS said:

I don't think so, because there's cash buys in and out. Now- if he managed to make his last cash buy under 2 grand and traded his way from there, I believe it would work. 

If he trades only with only this initial cash buy in, I feel it would be fine.

spandak
spandak Reader
1/12/20 9:50 p.m.

I've always thought about doing something like this. Good luck! Keep us posted! 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
1/12/20 10:06 p.m.

I once sold a good running 924 with a manual that just needed a paint job and new tires for $100.00.  It became a lemons car AFAIK.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
1/14/20 11:13 a.m.

I'll give you $125. 

:D  

Maybe when my car is fully running I'll give you more. :P

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/14/20 12:28 p.m.

I like this. I feel like I should set some targets for my eBay sales, it helps me stay motivated to have a reason behind them. Sell enough to buy a tri-motor Cybertruck?? Maybe a little too lofty. ;-)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/14/20 1:04 p.m.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing how this plays out. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/14/20 1:27 p.m.

Good luck!

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/14/20 1:41 p.m.

If it works I am going to do the same thing and try to end up with a decent wrangler the next year.

Maybe do a boat the following year...

I need to sell the roll bar 1st.  I put it on pelican at woody's suggestion.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
1/14/20 6:47 p.m.

It'll be interesting to see what you have to trade me for when it's Cayman time.  laugh

java230
java230 UberDork
1/16/20 3:08 p.m.

Following along, this should be a hoot.

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
1/16/20 5:08 p.m.

I can't wait to get started, I just need to sell the roll bar to start the journey!

I actually found a 2007 Cayman S for under 10k but I am not ready to pull the trigger yet obviously.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9UpQm32Pt1ADUiiKwueU9ejeXr3Zrq2ryFTWkrzajEZfV0gbzcGpTSdNUnal2FBk