volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
7/17/17 9:21 a.m.

Anyone in the market for a plasma cutter, Eastwood's running a special on this one today. Under $600, cuts 7/8" material.

I have the baby brother, rated to cut 3/8", and it works great. Do recommend.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/17/17 9:25 a.m.

I need that!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/17 2:19 p.m.

Need??? No. .. . Want??? YES!!!!!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/17 2:42 p.m.

Plasma cutters are awesome. They're like MIG welders that work in reverse.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
7/17/17 2:52 p.m.

My boss just bought a plasma cutter, its awesome. Tractor supply honered the harbor freight coupon for him.

Rodan
Rodan Reader
7/17/17 3:05 p.m.

I have that very Eastwood plasma... highly recommended!

That's also a very good price!

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/17/17 3:07 p.m.
dropstep wrote: My boss just bought a plasma cutter, its awesome. Tractor supply honered the harbor freight coupon for him.

That's how I did it a few years ago. I got a Hobart unit that has a built in compressor, so there are no need for air lines and it's more portable. It will do over 1/4" but most of it's life has been 1/8" and sheet metal like butter.

Rumnhammer
Rumnhammer Reader
7/17/17 3:18 p.m.

If you get a plasma cutter, make sure you use a very good quality moisture trap before the line going into the unit. Too much moisture in the air supply will have you going through your consumables super fast.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
7/17/17 8:20 p.m.
Rumnhammer wrote: If you get a plasma cutter, make sure you use a very good quality moisture trap before the line going into the unit. Too much moisture in the air supply will have you going through your consumables super fast.

The Harbor Freight $10 disposable one has been good for me, so far. Also, drain your compressor tank periodically to keep it from filling with moisture and oil.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/17/17 9:07 p.m.

Dang It! I would love to get that, but I spent this month's play money on a 1911...

Side question, what amperage is a typical 220v household breaker rated for? I noticed the spec's on that plasma cutter show 50 amps.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/17/17 9:46 p.m.

In reply to secretariata:

A 50A 220V residential breaker is common for an electric stove.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/17/17 9:46 p.m.

Thank you. I just split the purchase with my friend.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ClezdxWfSRrwqtkmgEjsjLU9ZPHZUZzk8ib6pdWfp9f9qrPjERRsfJg8GD86BBez