1 2 3
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 New Reader
10/1/08 5:28 p.m.

Going to OU this weekend. Im excited to see the mileage firgures again :)

noisycricket
noisycricket New Reader
10/4/08 9:37 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: Unfortunately, the $300 you spent for the transmission, the $200 for clutch and other misc. crap you feel bad about not changing, and then there's the whole weekend jacking with it 'cause the engine cradle keeps it from being an easy job... is it worth it?

At the risk of being kicked in the head by Saturn techs who still get paid 14 hours for this job...

You can R&R a Saturn manual trans in about four hours if you're slow.

What you do, is you do everything you normally do to remove the trans from the engine, and the driver's side axle, the battery box, and (the key) unbolt the master cylinder from the booster and swing it up as high/back/to the side as possible.

Then you lift the transmission out through the hood.

Dropping it back in is trickier if you're too lazy to unbolt the passenger side axle from the block, but it can be done.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
10/4/08 8:18 p.m.
psteav wrote: The twincam cars will run away and hide from any other early 90's econobox except a DOHC Neon or B13 SE-R.

I feel validated. Both my neons are/where DOCH.

I have spent a few hundered miles in a '93(?) single cam/ auto. LONG back story on that car...

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 New Reader
10/5/08 5:17 p.m.

well, on my way down to OU i drove under 75MPH and on the way back i stayed under 70MPH. i got 43 MPG

WOW. love it. its not that bad. its pretty quiet, pretty comfy but it truly excells in its boringness.

It was $30 to tank up with premium though....

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/5/08 5:35 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: It is a boring car to drive. It has no exciting things about it. Its not fast, cant handle for beans and we wont even get into looks. I almost fell asleep driving it. its not exciting its as appliance as you can get in a car. It has no cool features, nothing to play around with, no bells no whistles nothing. The only redeeming feature is the MPG thing.

Hey, that's my saying, "Doesn't handle for beans"

Your whole paragraph made me laugh becuase that is EXACTLY what my friend said about his

Well, thoughts?......it is A Saturn........what, you want more? COME ON!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
10/5/08 5:41 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: It was $30 to tank up with premium though....

Dear god why on earth would to put premium in a Saturn?

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/5/08 5:49 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

now that's a good quote for the mag

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
10/5/08 5:49 p.m.

Is 40+ highway the only redeaming thing about the car? My current Neon, an R/T gets over 40 on the interstate running at 3500-4k rpm at 75ish. One with a milder non R/T tranny will get slightly better.

But at this point a clean first gen is almost non existant. Plus neons have a "learning curve", Saturns don't.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 New Reader
10/5/08 6:14 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:

It was cheap i figured why not and it was a long trip? I dunno exactly. Not my car. i wanted to be nice to my bro:)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
10/5/08 8:15 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: Plus neons have a "learning curve", Saturns don't.

I'm not sure what you mean about learning curve, but if you are referring to the car adapting to your driving style, or to the computer fine-tuning the car as you drive it... Saturns do both.

Really, mileage is probably the only redeeming thing about the car (well, that and they are stupid cheap). If you were talking about a DOHC, it would be a different story. They get almost the same mileage, but handle better, and are up a significant amount of power. Add some bolt on suspension bits and they are every bit as competitive in STS as a neon is (if not more so).

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/5/08 8:34 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote:
ProDarwin wrote:
It was cheap i figured why not and it was a long trip? I dunno exactly. Not my car. i wanted to be nice to my bro:)

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/5/08 8:45 p.m.

If you really loved your brother you'd install an electric turbo. It would have EXACTLY the same effect as running premium.

noisycricket
noisycricket New Reader
10/5/08 9:17 p.m.

I always wanted to try a SOHC head with DOHC pistons. Supposedly that's good for high enough compression that the ECU can't compensate for it.

(But that's what Megasquirt is for!)

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
10/5/08 9:57 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
neon4891 wrote: Plus neons have a "learning curve", Saturns don't.
I'm not sure what you mean about learning curve, but if you are referring to the car adapting to your driving style, or to the computer fine-tuning the car as you drive it... Saturns do both. Really, mileage is probably the only redeeming thing about the car (well, that and they are stupid cheap). If you were talking about a DOHC, it would be a different story. They get almost the same mileage, but handle better, and are up a significant amount of power. Add some bolt on suspension bits and they are every bit as competitive in STS as a neon is (if not more so).

I was refeing to the learning curve of maintanance and durability. Saturns only needed basic maintanance from the factory. Neons (DOCH especialy) require a new water pump and Timing belt at 100K plus the upgrade to MLS head gaskets. This is one point I do give to saturn

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/5/08 10:02 p.m.
noisycricket wrote: At the risk of being kicked in the head by Saturn techs who still get paid 14 hours for this job...

I get paid more than that to work on bicycles part-time.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
10/6/08 8:48 a.m.
gamby wrote:
noisycricket wrote: At the risk of being kicked in the head by Saturn techs who still get paid 14 hours for this job...

I think he means Saturn gets paid for 14 hours worth of labor (which is probably somewhere north of $80.00 an hour).

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
10/6/08 6:06 p.m.

By the way, forgot about this page. It goes through, step by step, an automatic to manual swap, complete with a parts list: http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/tranny_swap.html

96DXCivic
96DXCivic New Reader
10/6/08 8:32 p.m.

Why bother? Get a Civic. I am not biased at all.

noisycricket
noisycricket New Reader
10/6/08 8:42 p.m.

Good running Saturn: $2k

POS rusted out beat up ill-maintained Civic: $3k.

Better why?

gamby
gamby SuperDork
10/6/08 10:41 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote:
gamby wrote:
I think he means Saturn gets paid for 14 hours worth of labor (which is probably somewhere north of $80.00 an hour).

Wow. I totally mis-read that. Musta been tired...

96DXCivic
96DXCivic New Reader
10/6/08 11:06 p.m.
noisycricket wrote: Good running Saturn: $2k POS rusted out beat up ill-maintained Civic: $3k. Better why?

Because the Civic has a better aftermarket support and a better suspension. You can do all the messing around you want w/ a Saturn's suspension it still won't hide the fact that base suspension in the Civic is better. And the Civic has better build quality.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
10/7/08 7:42 a.m.
96DXCivic wrote: Because the Civic has a better aftermarket support and a better suspension. You can do all the messing around you want w/ a Saturn's suspension it still won't hide the fact that base suspension in the Civic is better. And the Civic has better build quality.

That's a poor argument.

A Corvette has better aftermarket support and a better suspension than both. Why not buy one of those instead?

Don't forget that a DOHC Saturn will outrun any non-SI civic in a straight line, and most of the SI cars as well.

psteav
psteav GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/7/08 8:43 a.m.
96DXCivic wrote:
noisycricket wrote: Good running Saturn: $2k POS rusted out beat up ill-maintained Civic: $3k. Better why?
Because the Civic has a better aftermarket support and a better suspension. You can do all the messing around you want w/ a Saturn's suspension it still won't hide the fact that base suspension in the Civic is better. And the Civic has better build quality.

Better how? Better for what? Yes, the civic has control arms on both ends. Wooptee-doo. You're driving on the street. Saturns still have IRS, good brakes, and crisp handling.

If you're building an STS car, then yeah, you probably want a civic. If you want a fun daily driver that won't get stolen, won't get noticed by the cops, won't get you lumped in with the riceboy crowd, and will probably cost about half what a civic in comparable shape would, then get a Saturn.

noisycricket
noisycricket New Reader
10/8/08 6:53 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: Because the Civic has a better aftermarket support and a better suspension. You can do all the messing around you want w/ a Saturn's suspension it still won't hide the fact that base suspension in the Civic is better. And the Civic has better build quality.

Better aftermarket support? Unless you have scads of money to blow on the car, who cares? (Honda aftertmarket stuff is EXPENSIVE, plus most of it is riceware anyway)

Better suspension? It's got a lot more links and bushings and stuff to fail. That's expensive. Saturns take the occasional ball joint, which is no biggie, and the subframes can be beefed up if you happen to still have one of the early E-Z-Bend jobbies.

Better build quality doesn't mean crap on the used market.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/8/08 8:51 p.m.

incorrect..

Ill cleaned but not rusted civic with 67k miles on it $2300.. <-- It's from south carolina.. what rust..

HA HA you lose.... 46mpg on the highway, A/C works... Infact everything works ohh yeah did I mention it was only $2300..

We sold our saturn for $1k. It had great maintenance, but needed at the time of sale, waterpump, steering pump, A/C, and a new valve cover gasket.

So far on the civic I've put a set of tires, and had to fix the leaky tailights. It will need a clutch and fuel filter soon, and still not be at 100k miles.. bitches.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tgbzjO8bk6DzHBykN7Ihs6aeAI1WgWrmlgvmtM7XRIRp2NJavStv6nI27CQv4SGH