bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
6/20/18 9:50 a.m.

The inboard CV joint on the passenger axle on my trusty Buick Rendezvous has slung grease for 2 years and has started to grumble about its lot in life.  I was perusing GRM threads on the topic when I came upon this one that scared the E36 M3 out of me:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/really-stuck-inner-cv-joint/105484/page1/

What's the best way to remove a CV axle from the trans case:  prybar, pickle fork, or one of those jerry-rigged cable and sledgehammer deals?
What are the odds it'll pop out easily as opposed to the nightmares encountered by Bobzilla and Novaderrik?
What are the odds I'll damage the seal on the transaxle while removing said CV axle?
Does the new one just pop in with the strength of a normal human male applying a good shove, or will I have to resort to a BFH?

Thanks.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/20/18 10:07 a.m.

Use a heavy prybar or crowbar and a piece of wood against the trans case for the fulcrum.  It takes a good sharp pop on the back of the CV flange (not a slow torquey move,) to jar the circlip loose.   Pop, pop....rotate the axle a little if it didn't work and try again.  Just something you get a feel for once you've done it a few times, even then it can be a beeotch.  

My recommendation is to break the axle nut loose on the ground first, then pop the inner CV joint second....that way nothing else is torn apart if you can't get past the two major hurdles and have to abort the job.  Don't forget to keep a clean bucket to catch transmission fluid, which I would reuse if fresh.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
6/20/18 1:19 p.m.

Make sure you know how to remove it before you start strong-arming it.   We had a k-car that had a circlip inside the trans that had to be removed to pull the stub shaft out. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
6/20/18 2:17 p.m.

Assuming it's the type that supposed to pop out, I have a large flat blade screwdriver that I use to remove axles. But I don't pry. I use it as a wedge, slipping it between the cup and the transmission. Then I tap on the end of it with a hammer, and the wedge gently pops out the axle with very little force. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9VY57MbDtMgNMirkMy1Hvmo0kkuKZ0aMWDGYR05j6xHub7mFLkt57VX4hBilTY3r