1 2
Raze
Raze HalfDork
5/6/10 8:42 a.m.
stroker wrote: you could always sell a few kidneys and testicles...

you just earned extra points for your 'handle' with that one...

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
5/6/10 8:55 a.m.

offer 'em $500. If they take it, it's meant to be. If not, try $600.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/6/10 12:50 p.m.

OK, just got off the phone with the guy. He found rust in the rockers so he wants $500 for it now Unfortunately rusty rockers is usually an irrecoverable death knell for AMC's (see my Hornet) Either way I'd pick it up for parts, but I really wonder if this one can be saved after seeing the custom box-tubing rockers on that Yellow Spirit GT posted here awhile back.

I also found out that it in fact 4x4. That is crazy-insane, and still works with the 401. As a bonus, my Hornet's front end will drop right in if I want to convert it to straight RWD only. I have some interesting options here.

We're looking at it Saturday. Did I mention a friend will be down with a trailer on Saturday?

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
5/6/10 12:56 p.m.

this will be awesome. cant wait to see it come together

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
5/6/10 1:00 p.m.

Don't do it. Non-car people whose you opinions you don't value will think less you.

Sorry, that's the best I could come up with.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
5/6/10 2:46 p.m.
Type Q wrote: Don't do it. Non-car people whose you opinions you don't value will think less you. Sorry, that's the best I could come up with.

Hell, that's the best I could come up with for a reason to buy something, hahaha.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
5/6/10 3:05 p.m.

Isn't the transfer case fragile on those? Seems to me they were.

Friend had one years ago, fun car. Don't know that you would rallycross any better with a 401 under the hood. In fact, I doubt it. I think you'd be slower.

RossD
RossD Dork
5/6/10 3:11 p.m.

When I saw that car, I pooped a little, in a good way.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/6/10 3:20 p.m.

The SX/4 cars were Eagles, not Spirits. (Eagle=4wd, Spirit/ Concord= 2wd)

The 4wd system is not the same as a Jeep. (IRS front on Eagle, straight axle on Jeep) I'm pretty sure the transfer case is an original Eagle part not shared with the Jeeps as well. The transfer cases can blow (ask me how I know), but replacements are cheap, and I don't think they are very prone to failure. I blew mine by having different size wheels on front and back and running it in 4wd.....doh!

Although the 401 swap is appealing, you can get plenty of power and torque from the 258cid six. Also a 4.0 HO engine from a Cherokee is a drop-in affair.

Cool cars, with tons of potential. It always amazes me that Eagles are basically free cars. Way ahead of their time. Tons of parts are interchangeable with other AMCs. Also, if your car is a 6cyl, your gearbox is a T-5 Ford unit. (same unit used in Sunbeam Tigers) The ps is Delco, the distributor is Motorcraft, and get this.......the slave cylinder is from Citroen!

P71----- you need to go here---- www.amceaglenest.com

Good luck!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/6/10 4:07 p.m.

That would make a great Challenge car with the V8. Love it.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky New Reader
5/6/10 6:37 p.m.

This needs to be bought, no more debate...

P71
5/6/10 6:39 p.m.

I know the 4.0 (and 4.6L hybrid) bolt-in, but I don't have either of those. I do have a 401. I'll have to research the AWD-ness, but I will definitely keep the Hornet's front clip laying around in case I want to RWD the thing.

Arranging trailer/travel plans now...

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 New Reader
5/6/10 6:53 p.m.

Question: Is the 6 lighter than the 8?

thestig99
thestig99 None
5/6/10 7:01 p.m.

Is there really any question here? Why haven't you bought it yet?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/6/10 8:41 p.m.

pictures of it in your driveway?

P71
5/6/10 9:47 p.m.

In reply to ScottRA21:

No. In fact, it is heavier.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 New Reader
5/7/10 6:46 a.m.

i helped a friend build a 2wd 81 spirit a couple of years ago. lowered it pretty heavilty, poly bushings, big swap bars, fat tires, race seats with a gutted interior, AMX body parts, and a pretty nasty ford 302 and T5. it was a really cool car. well, that was until he got married and th ensuing wife/AMC conflict started. last time i saw that car, it was sitting under a lean to at his grandfathers house. wonder if his wife will sell uit to me?

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
5/12/10 12:50 p.m.

I've only seen a handful of these with 4WD, the 6, and a 5 speed... very rare.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DQt6pIuJjMZQN1kH7BxvYT1JbzAVXRlefN9eXRkIWJgqdRKAzugTTaE4HMqF0rKs