1 2
Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
1/3/10 12:28 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: copper. polish it and its pretty, even.

For a month or so.

Sorry, I don't detail my shop, I work in it.

Shawn

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
1/3/10 1:06 a.m.

I just got my large heavy compressor in the basement and am going to plumb it with type l copper pipe. It is cheap enough not to deal with either iron or plastic pipes. I think type l 1/2 is like 12$ per 10ft at HD and type l 3/4 was 19$ per 10ft. I already have all the driers and stuff so with a couple fitting and a lesson in soldiering it is going to kick ass. Especially when I hook up a solenoid to the drain pipe so it drain automatically. I also insulated the basement and had to remove around a yard of rock to get that damned heavy compressor in there; at least it isn't loud.

Good luck!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/5/10 12:55 p.m.
Hocrest wrote: I knew that PVC was a no-no, but what about PEX?

My rule #1- what's the worst that can happen?

PEX is flexible. A blowout will make a lot of noise.

A PVC explosion would mean significant chards flying around the shop impaling people and taking out eyes.

But, FWIW, PEX is rated for 150 psi. It is not, however, UV safe, so depending on the installation, it could degrade and be a failure later.

In the event of failure, resort to rule #1. PEX is fine.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf HalfDork
1/5/10 2:02 p.m.

I use theses guys alot for stuff at work. http://airinc.thomasnet.com/category/all-categories They have stock! They do both metric and inch sized fittings and tubbing.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
1/5/10 4:11 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
Hocrest wrote: I knew that PVC was a no-no, but what about PEX?
I don't know about PEX. I do know there are certain types of ABS that are rated for pressure.

The problem with PVC is that it tends to expode, sending out shards of the plastic. The PEX should not do that even if it blows.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 HalfDork
1/5/10 4:54 p.m.

1/2" PVC is rated at 250psi? Or is it 300? Anyway, I'll add that it is not safe. My uncle tried it. The shock loads caused failure once the temperature dropped.

mbmsg
mbmsg New Reader
1/5/10 8:19 p.m.

I was recently on a coal mine tour, they use a PEX type product in coal mines to run compressed air to the mining face. I asked the tour guide he said it is easier than pipe, lasts longer than rubber. He Said it splits kind of like a copper pipe when it lets go, no danger just really loud.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/6/10 12:16 a.m.

PVC is more acceptable than folks say. We have two compressors that supply four buildings at our shop. We do everything from oil changes to full body-off restorations and everything in between. Both shops are supplied by 1/2" galvanized pipe, but within the shops its distributed by PVC. For 12 years it has withstood 150+ psi and it doesn't rust. Each outlet is flanked by a 4" long pipe with a drain, so any water that makes it to the outlet is minimized by the trap.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
1/6/10 8:45 a.m.

Argh...here we go again. PVC is NOT acceptable for compressed air use, period, regardless of what anyone tells you. The problem is that PVC pipe is designed for use with noncompressible fluids, not compressed gases, and all of the PVC pipe manufacturers specifically say this in their specifications. If a PVC pipe filled with compressed air is damaged or breaks on its own, it will send shrapnel all over the place. Copper or steel lines are ductile, so they will simply bend, but PVC breaks. For commercial shops it's also an OSHA violation that can result in fines.

A lot of people will say they've had it installed for years and nothing bad has happened - yet. Yes, PVC can spontaneously explode and it does happen. I've witnessed it myself, and fortunately I was in the next room when the line exploded...it sounded like a bomb went off, and there were sharp shards of plastic blown all over, some of them stuck in the walls. There is (or was, I don't think they sell it any more) one brand of ABS pipe that was rated for compressed air use, but it was a specialized product you won't find at Home Depot.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/6/10 9:12 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I think I can solder a tighter joint than I can screw.

Dude you are doing it wrong ;)

I really like the looks of the HF pushlok system. I wonder if it is E36 M3e?

alex
alex Dork
1/6/10 9:26 a.m.
John Brown wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: I think I can solder a tighter joint than I can screw.
Dude you are doing it wrong ;) I really like the looks of the HF pushlok system. I wonder if it is E36 M3e?

I'm planning to find out. I'm going to plumb my dad's garage for his new compressor in the next couple weeks. Like Iggy suggested, I'm suspicious of the pushlock fittings, so I'll probably just plan to replace those with better fitting if/when they shoot craps. I'll report back.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/6/10 10:28 a.m.
xci_ed6 wrote: 1/2" PVC is rated at 250psi? Or is it 300? Anyway, I'll add that it is not safe. My uncle tried it. The shock loads caused failure once the temperature dropped.

At 73F.

It won't be rated for that at 20F, or at 110F, or if it has been exposed to UV, or if it is a screw thread instead of a solvent weld joint, or if it has been exposed to impact, or if you pick up DWV PVC instead of pressure rated PVC, or if the solvent was improperly used, or if it has been compromised chemically....

Too many variables. Don't use PVC.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
1/6/10 10:37 a.m.
HoserRacing wrote: Teflon tape is nice & cheap, and clean and neat, I'm a big fan of it :) Thanks for your help guys!

Go with the yellow Teflon tape made for gas lines. It doesn't separate like the white stuff can and won't end up clogging a small orifice anywhere.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro HalfDork
1/7/10 2:04 a.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA:

Forget the teflon tape. Permatex #2 works much better.

Shawn

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
1/8/10 11:14 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: In reply to Jerry From LA: Forget the teflon tape. Permatex #2 works much better. Shawn

Yes it does but the gentleman prefers Teflon. Personally I prefer Teflon plumber's dope for stuff like this.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
1/8/10 8:26 p.m.

Whle I prefer iron or copper myself, we should not describe PVC pipe as if it were just one thing. There are 3 distict types; SDR 26, which is dirt cheap and easily available. This is the thinwall stuff, and it will shatter if you look at it wrong. Then there is schedule 40, which has a much thicker wall and higher pressure rating. It will shatter, but not as easily as the 26. Then there is the big daddy: Schedule 80. This is seriourlsy mean plastic pipe; I have actuallly cut pipe threads onto it with a Rigid 535 threader. I would trust this grade for compressed air, but it is harder to find, much more expensive, etc. You must use SDR 80 fittings with it.

I'm just saying that all PVC pipe is not created equal.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
1/8/10 9:03 p.m.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/13/10 11:53 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote: I'm just saying that all PVC pipe is not created equal.

True.

But OSHA makes no such distinction. As the link in Ignorant's previous post showed, PVC (in ALL it's forms), ABS, and other plastic piping are NOT considered an acceptable material for transport of compressed air or any other gas.

Therefore, it doesn't matter what we think. Don't use PVC for air lines.

Unless you are a fan of the related OSHA fines, personal injury lawsuits, or pain.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nu9b3A85tyGurL92o5vvOsHDLwVIDcAnnLvRWH6gtGWzV4AUbaRyaGpOeU3TUCj1