etifosi
etifosi Reader
7/26/14 8:39 a.m.

Does anyone here know more about this American Rally-Cross event/group?

rally-cross at tricky triangle*

"tricky triangle" is NOT a euphemism for "ladies garden" or "bob costas".

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/26/14 2:41 p.m.

IDK anything about it, but most of the cars in the photo from past events are ones I recognize from various east-coast stage rally events, so I'm betting it has safety requirements similar to stage rally, vice SCCA rallycross.

I also know Steve Warren puts together similar mixed-surface rallycross events out in the Pacific NW, but not sure how similar this is.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/28/14 8:36 a.m.

Gary Dimaso and John Concha are the contacts. Basically anything with a logbook is a go. Great fun, tons of seat time. What would you be looking to compete in carwise?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/28/14 10:13 a.m.

I know that they paved the infield road courses last winter and the transitions (if you could call them that) onto the banking were enough to smash my radiator mounts on my road race car.

I think this is just clever marketing to get some return on a surface that is obviously not suitable for normal racing

etifosi
etifosi Reader
7/28/14 10:23 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

No time or $ available to turn my parked 96 crown vic into rallycross car.

captdownshift
7/28/14 10:32 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I know that they paved the infield road courses last winter and the transitions (if you could call them that) onto the banking were enough to smash my radiator mounts on my road race car. I think this is just clever marketing to get some return on a surface that is obviously not suitable for normal racing

I know that you're being tongue and cheek in the last line. It's actually done to be a fun competitive format of real and proper European rallycross, which isn't a dash and smash for the first corner then parade around for 6 laps afterwards, and involves a course wide enough, without artificial pinch points in the course design, to allow for racing between drivers. It'd be a great place to take a no longer competitive IT car or stage car out for some fun. I have a logbooked open class DSM that I really need to get finished sorting so that it can run at these events in 2015.

etifosi
etifosi Reader
7/28/14 10:53 a.m.

I'm not sure how Pocono is involved with this, other than hosting the event.

This looks like a hoot!

Didn't see many spectators so I don't think anyone is making money. It looks like there are only 4 cars signed up so far.

There doesn't seem to be any other rallycross action around here, let alone rallycross with wheel 2 wheel spectacularity.

Plus it means I get to hear/see/smell racecars one last time before Mother Nature tries to kill me with cold.

captdownshift
7/28/14 11:04 a.m.

Pocono is just the location of the event, previous years (up to 2012) NJMP has hosted events as well. The organizers are grassroots guys just looking for fun, clean seat time and friendly competition. This format and rallysprints are what really need to take hold in North America if rally ever wants to be successful on this side of the pond.

BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Dork
7/29/14 6:35 a.m.

The event was pretty good last year, none of the destruction-derby stuff of the GRC. Gary DiMasi is a standup guy, Though I wonder if he'll be racing too like last year... Pretty sure he is still reassembling the Rally Ranger from the roll at STPR.

Edit: This was pretty cool

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/29/14 8:15 a.m.

I don't have anything to run in an event like this but I'm only 30 minutes away. Road race setups with 1000 ft/lb springs don't really do low traction surfaces very well... but I might have to pop 'round and check this out if I'm not up to my eyeballs in pressing matters like chauffeuring my children to travel sporting events..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EuZdpAfyjfeoDsDCgmxvImbvO0qX0OKJbinrC3SZLeflcDy1EIsNoKVEZDd4tmZ8