1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Carson
Carson HalfDork
5/21/09 9:14 p.m.

It looks like it takes a lot of oil or coolant. Or whatever is in those yellow jugs.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/21/09 9:28 p.m.

Professional drivers on a closed course Your mileage may vary ect ect

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8521999166042642874&hl=en

http://www.leftlanenews.com/video-impressive-stunt-driving-by-saab-performance-team.html

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
5/21/09 10:11 p.m.
Karl La Follette wrote:

Karl, is there anything you haven't got stashed away down there?

It's a good thing I don't live closer to you.

RossD
RossD Reader
5/22/09 4:14 p.m.

A 1964 Saab Wagon and 1971 Sonet for sale locally. (not mine)

Wagon

Sonnet

Ad says they are in Fond Du Lac, WI.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/09 6:33 p.m.

aw man.. I would love me a sonnet

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
5/23/09 10:19 p.m.
MiatarPowar wrote:

Any story behind these pix? The black 900 looks unsettlingly like mine, with all the electrical problems that I have had with it, it makes me wonder if thay is the fate that mine is headed for

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb HalfDork
5/23/09 11:42 p.m.

I'll Play my sold Babe Rally 1985 notchback 900S.

Ran fantastic ...had trouble finding a buyer after the rally even though I removed all the stickers etc!

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
5/23/09 11:51 p.m.
littleturquoiseb wrote: I'll Play my sold Babe Rally 1985 notchback 900S. Ran fantastic ...had trouble finding a buyer after the rally even though I removed all the stickers etc!

Is that a notch back! If so, and you find another one, I know a guy who will buy itreading fail! I see that it is a notch. they have to be in pretty bad shape to keep SAAB lovers away

captain_napalm
captain_napalm Reader
5/26/09 10:33 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
littleturquoiseb wrote: I'll Play my sold Babe Rally 1985 notchback 900S. Ran fantastic ...had trouble finding a buyer after the rally even though I removed all the stickers etc!
Is that a notch back! If so, and you find another one, I know a guy who will buy itreading fail! I see that it is a notch. they have to be in pretty bad shape to keep SAAB lovers away

IIRC there was something up with the exhaust system, and one of the keys were buggered, but we made it to New Orleans with no incident (outside of an exhaust repair outside of Cherokee, NC), and I'm sure it made it to NJ with no problem.

snipes
snipes New Reader
5/26/09 5:19 p.m.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
5/26/09 9:28 p.m.

OK, I found an SPG for $800 on Atlanta Craigslist. Needs a transmission..not mine, no affliliation, etc.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1179928970.html

midknight
midknight Reader
5/26/09 10:28 p.m.

Dang!! I was hoping no one noticed!!!

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
5/26/09 10:46 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Needs a transmission.. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1179928970.html

Don't they all? go onto any SAAB 900/99 forum and you will find as many threads about gear box repair, upgrade & adjustment as you do about power adders...just ask Per if you don't belive me.

PS: I'm not hate'n, I know my gear boxes day is coming, I've gone almost 200k miles in 900s with out a failure, I'm over due

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
5/26/09 10:47 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Needs a transmission.. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1179928970.html

Don't they all? go onto any SAAB 900/99 forum and you will find as many threads about gear box repair, upgrade & adjustment as you do about power adders...just ask Per if you don't belive me.

PS: I'm not hate'n, I know my gear boxes day is coming, I've gone almost 200k miles in 900s with out a failure, I'm over due

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
5/27/09 12:38 p.m.

My latest self-punishment:

It's rusty, but the price was right.

We pulled it out of a yard in rural Indiana Saturday. 'Fixed' the rear brakes and some wiring and swapped out the flat rear tires... And drove it 4.5 hours home.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
5/27/09 4:37 p.m.

My (wife's) 2004 9-3 2.0T after a track session at BeaveRun-

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/09 6:49 p.m.

I so need a "classic" 900 or a 97

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar HalfDork
5/28/09 8:20 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I so need a "classic" 900 or a 97

Do it. You can't go wrong with either.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/28/09 9:25 a.m.

I can not find any good pics of Per Eklund's Saab 9-3 Viggen, but here is a good description and a small pic:

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/28/09 9:26 a.m.

Not enough coffee yet. Here is the link: Pikes Peak Viggen

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/28/09 12:02 p.m.

FYI - I have a pair of Inca wheels with center caps in good shape. Shoot me an offer if you're interested. I'd hoped to make bar stools out of them at some point, but I don't have a bar....and I don't drink either, so I kinda doubt it will ever happen.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
5/28/09 12:49 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: OK, I found an SPG for $800 on Atlanta Craigslist. Needs a transmission..not mine, no affliliation, etc. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1179928970.html

I went to try to track down a tranny for this thing, and i had like 12 different options. What do i need? Or will any work?

I'm seriously contemplating this. It looks like i can get a good tranny for $350 or less and a day trip.

I'm also assuming that doing a tranny on this thing is a huge PITA, right?

procainestart
procainestart Dork
5/28/09 3:01 p.m.

The best transmissions come from '89-'90 cars. Of them, one from a non-turbo will probably be in better condition (gearing is identical, turbo or non-turbo). Lower miles is obviously better.

The next-best 'boxes come from '91+ cars; however, the synchros aren't terribly robust and are prone to going bad.

Next would be mid-80s 'boxes.

Skip very early '80s 'boxes and 4-speeds from very early 900s or late 99s.

If you are going to be pulling a 'box from a junker, it is a GOOD IDEA to pull it from one that was obviously in an accident.

Some transmissions used hydraulic mounts; others used solid rubber. If you end up with a replacement transmission with a primary chain gear cover that accepts solid mounts, then you'll need to use the hyd. mount cover from the SPG's existing gearbox. You don't need a new paper gasket here: just use Loctite 518.

You will need to pull the engine to swap the tranny. Anyone who writes on a forum that you can pull the tranny without pulling the engine is a crack-smoker who should be ignored (yes, it can be done but only by irrational people lacking common sense).

I don't think pulling the engine is especially difficult, not that it isn't a big job. Buy a Bentley manual from eEuroparts.com and use your favorite Saab forum if you get stuck (I prefer saabnet.com). You need to remove the clutch BEFORE you pull the engine, or else you are going to struggle to do so with a big heavy lump dangling off a hoist or sitting on the garage floor. You don't need the "special tool" for the pressure plate -- use a 5-gallon bucket handle but IGNORE the Bentley's advice to use a spark plug wire.

Replace the crank and oil pump seals while the engine's out; also replace the alternator bushings (NO poly; rubber only). If the exh. mani. gasket is going, do that, too (much easier if the eng. is out, especially if you have a busted stud).

IME, the only potential major PITA is getting the shifter coupler off. There's a STUPID tapered pin that holds it on; best to search a forum for help before going at it.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
5/28/09 3:06 p.m.

Wow.... exactly what i needed. I appreciate it very much!

There happens to be another SPG in my area that also needs a tranny, same year, color, everything, so i think i may pursue that one. I didn't realize that you could find these things so cheap these days, i think i know what my next "save" will be.

Thanks again!

procainestart
procainestart Dork
5/28/09 3:10 p.m.

You're welcome. They're fun cars, and not so hard to work on if you don't always expect them to be designed like others.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RpNvU7vuRWR258Ae8UIbWKSxhB0dAVuntd02Y2uceBKzvZEIhwmBEXdMst1SbjuT