1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/10 12:43 p.m.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/03/porsche-918-spyder/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29

WANT

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/2/10 1:09 p.m.

I just saw that for the first time this morning. One of the most beautiful automotive designs I've ever seen. Simply wow.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/2/10 1:32 p.m.

I am in love with the design myself. I am even getting used to the idea of electric sportscars. This one livens that up a little though with a 400 horsepower V8.

Gimme a Turbo AND KERS, and I will be ecstatic.

ManBearSTIG
ManBearSTIG GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/2/10 1:34 p.m.

THAT is what the Boxster should look like. Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

EricM
EricM Dork
3/2/10 1:44 p.m.

Damn it! I was going to build that! Stupid Porsche beating me to market....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/10 1:54 p.m.

funny how it is immediatly recognisable as a porsche.. but looks like no other porsche.

I do have an issue with the name(number) by now it should be up over 1000

GameboyRMH
3/2/10 2:10 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: Gimme a Turbo AND KERS, and I will be ecstatic.

It already has KERS

skruffy
skruffy Dork
3/2/10 2:34 p.m.

I can safely say that I would totally buy that if I doesn't end up costing over $100k like I'm sure it will.

Also, nothing about that reminds me of a fiero aside from it also being a car.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic HalfDork
3/2/10 2:37 p.m.

So Sexy. I want!

cwh
cwh SuperDork
3/2/10 2:40 p.m.

What is KERS? Gameboy- you have a PM.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
3/2/10 2:42 p.m.

oooohhh....pretty!!

angusmf
angusmf New Reader
3/2/10 2:45 p.m.

Is that car really huge, or are the guys sitting in it very tiny?

Big "meh" from me. Why does Porsche want all of their cars to look basically the same?

mainlandboy
mainlandboy New Reader
3/2/10 2:49 p.m.

Just made that my new desktop picture.

I know that everyone has their own tastes, but that is one of the nicest looking cars I have ever seen. Ever.

Mark

TJ
TJ Dork
3/2/10 3:52 p.m.

I'm sure it will be impressive. I'm also fairly certain I will not ever own one based on price.

If I ever find myself with unexpected millions and decide to purchase a car that costs as much as some houses, I would like one in silver and would pay extra to get Walter Rohrl to drive me around the ring in it when I take european delivery.

GameboyRMH
3/2/10 3:54 p.m.
cwh wrote: What is KERS? Gameboy- you have a PM.

Kinetic Energy Recovery System. Used in F1 and ALMS. Basically a little electric motor on the driveshaft (in those applications) that charges a battery under braking. Then you press a button and WHOA NAAWWZZ...I mean KEEEERSSS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KERS#Kinetic_Energy_Recovery_Systems

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
3/2/10 5:03 p.m.

I like it but I'm disappointed. When I saw '918' and saw what it looked like, I was hoping it was the rumoured reincarnation of the 914, but then I saw V8 hybrid, carbon fibre monocoque and realized this will not be the inexpensive Porsche I thought it was. That disappointed me. The car is really cool though.

Bob

carzan
carzan Reader
3/2/10 5:35 p.m.

I like it, but for some reason when I look at the wheels, I think of this:

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
3/2/10 5:46 p.m.

You don't mean Fiero-esque you mean Ferrari-esque!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/2/10 5:49 p.m.

No... it's clearly a Fiero with a body kit.

924guy
924guy Dork
3/2/10 6:45 p.m.

199 mph top speed, 79 mpg... my honda is crying ...

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
3/2/10 6:57 p.m.

I love the styling. The front, the sides, the rear, the interior. It looks great. And keeping it to 32xx lbs is impressive too. The first hybrid/electro-gizmatic car I've ever really drooled over. And yes, I've seen the Tesla. I just hope those electric motors aren't in the wheels or otherwise part of the unsprung weight. Not the first specifically "green" car I've drooled over; I love the Saab Aero X and that ran on pure ethanol. Whenever I get to feeling depressed and pessimistic about the future of automotive styling and performance, a new car shows up and gives me a little bit of hope and optimism. Thank you, Porsche.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/10 8:15 p.m.

Make that car 7/8ths scale, lose the side exhaust and stupid wheels, make it a flat 4/6 with a manual trans, and it would berkleying perfect. That is the first Porsche that's every stylistically affected me like a Ferrari...

blizazer
blizazer New Reader
3/2/10 9:07 p.m.

I think they lifted the idea from Bryce.

Vigo
Vigo Reader
3/2/10 11:24 p.m.

Uh, cool, but Ferrari f360/f430 called and wants its front end back.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson HalfDork
3/3/10 7:25 a.m.
Vigo wrote: Uh, cool, but Ferrari f360/f430 called and wants its front end back.

The Purse(1), sorry Ferrari can keeps it's god awful ugly nose. Leave the Porsche alone, it's perfect.

(1). I don't care how good modern Ferrari's are, to me they are pushing the brand so much they are just stylish accessories, no longer performance cars. Non of them are particularly good looking and they do approximately zero for me on the 'gotta have it' lust factor. Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, Pagani etc etc are way way ahead for me…… Not that any of them except old used Porsches are in my sites that is.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wezWCHJ6WEl4bmzAaugAYJW1uHwOObrtPjKunGWWwkFMsndBmJVxF23KgndspX2Y