Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/12 12:28 p.m.

I need a career that involves two more zeroes at the end because hot damn this car!!

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
7/19/12 12:35 p.m.

Agreed. Me too.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
7/19/12 12:41 p.m.

unf!! That is hot, I love the black and white Martini livery.

Javelin
7/19/12 12:51 p.m.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/12 1:09 p.m.

Nice job on updating the classic liveries, Porsche. Although Martini works better than the Porsche Salzburg.

Note the different aero bits on the Martini shot - development car? I'm interested particularly in what's going on with the rear quarter. EVO had an interesting article on this thing a few months back, including pictures of the most odd-looking mule.

jonnyd330
jonnyd330 Reader
7/19/12 1:11 p.m.

Where do i sign?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
7/19/12 1:12 p.m.
Keith wrote: Note the different aero bits on the Martini shot - development car? I'm interested particularly in what's going on with the rear quarter.

Porsche has been testing a track "option" for the 918, one of the guys locally to me is on the list for one and they were asked if a track option would be wanted/needed.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/19/12 1:25 p.m.

Too complicated, and all just to add a "hybrid" label and make some tree-hugging weenie happy.

K.I.S.S. Porsche:

Keith
7/19/12 1:50 p.m.

Or you could look at it as a chance to push the boundaries of technology. After all, Le Mans prototypes are hybrids now.

dculberson
dculberson Dork
7/19/12 1:57 p.m.

When I think of Porsche, I do not think of the K.I.S.S. principle. They are complex cars and only getting more so.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/19/12 1:59 p.m.

This car's not a hybrid to make it green, the electric powertrain is just there to act as a boost system. More like an F1 with KERS than a Prius.

Javelin
7/19/12 4:31 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

LOL at an AWD, automated-dual-clutch gearbox, rear-engine, flat-6, DOHC, twin-turbocharged, twin-intercooled, electronically-controlled freak of nature as "K.I.S.S." (unless of course you are being factitious ).

And yes, the 918 is built off of the bones of the Carrera GT and Spyder RS LMP car and will be a street version of the new KERS and flywheel type LeMans tech. A Prius this ain't!

Keith
7/19/12 5:18 p.m.

To be fair, the GT2 is not AWD. But it does have variable geometry turbos, which I think counts for double.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
7/19/12 5:19 p.m.
Javelin wrote: A Prius this ain't!

And yet, I've seen Porsche estimate fuel economy of 78mpg from the 918! That's probably on the (very) optimistic side of the optimistic EU cycle, but even if it were something like 50mpg on the EPA cycle it would be the ultimate case of frosting on your $845,000 cake!

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
7/19/12 6:25 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to pinchvalve: LOL at an AWD, automated-dual-clutch gearbox, rear-engine, flat-6, DOHC, twin-turbocharged, twin-intercooled, electronically-controlled freak of nature as "K.I.S.S." (unless of course you are being factitious ). And yes, the 918 is built off of the bones of the Carrera GT and Spyder RS LMP car and will be a street version of the new KERS and flywheel type LeMans tech. A Prius this ain't!
  1. That's a GT2 RS. It's one of the most simple cars out there. The engine is based on a design from 1976. There are very few electronic controls. The RS is a widowmaker.

2. The CGT and the 918 share almost nothing. Obviously, I don't have the parts diagrams yet, but I wouldn't doubt if there were not one part shared between the two.

3. 918 does very little for me. It's overpriced, it's not particularly pretty, and it doesn't make sense. Remember the 918 RSR from last year? Who on earth is going to race a million+ dollar car in GTE?

Javelin
7/19/12 6:32 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

1. Sorry, I haven't ever seen a GT2 RS in real life and just assumed it was based on the 911 Turbo S. Apparently it's a 935!

2. I should extrapolate that the 918 isn't based on those two, but is being born out of the results of the research and development into them. There was a nice article in Panorama about it.

3. I'll probably never even see one in real life, but I think the 918 is the prettiest road Porsche they have ever designed. I would hope it would get raced against the Ford GT's and Maser MC12's that are still out there.

(My super-duper-double-secret hope is that Porsche uses a 918 to win LeMans overall and stick the LMP uglies in their place! )

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
7/19/12 9:11 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Maroon92: (My super-duper-double-secret hope is that Porsche uses a 918 to win LeMans overall and stick the LMP uglies in their place! )

The joint powers that be (ACO and FIA) will NEVER allow that to happen.

More likely is that the new Porsche LMP will emulate the styling exercises already attributed to the 918.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HmkB1DOeMYVmBMAHpMioviK1A2VJMcIMFx8RQ63JJ1NDOR88sf4TI0znnXmXJrtF