1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/7/13 8:16 a.m.

Crossposting this here because I got special permission:

http://classicmotorsports.net/forum/classic-cars/porsche-928-better-buy-it-now/60149/page1/

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
2/7/13 8:23 a.m.

I feel indifferent to the 928. It's probably the least interesting Porsche to me because they were designed to be more luxurious than sporting, nearly all of them were slushboxes, and the car is pretty complicated to DIY. I feel the same way about the BMW 8 Series and Ferrari 400i, so ymmv.

What's the anticipated future collectability of these cars?

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
2/7/13 8:24 a.m.

I typically am not a Porsche fan at all. As great as they are, cars like the 911, Boxster, etc... have never been on my "want" list. Only two Porsche ever made it on my list. The 914 and the 928. I think the 928 is full of want. If I had the cash, with enough cash for a mechanic to keep it running right, I would definitely have one in my collection. I always loved the look, and appreicate a good GT car.

Oh, and being a Philly guy, I can't help notice the article was written by "Andy Reid". Maybe he's better at cars than he is at football coaching...

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/7/13 8:26 a.m.

The 928 is just about the only Porsche I'd want.

RossD
RossD UberDork
2/7/13 8:36 a.m.

This is what I thought you said...

Andy Reid said: Current repair prices run between $8000 and $12,000 for an excellent two-valve car, and up to $12,000 to $15,000 for nice four-valve cars. A GT or GTS model will cost more, with GTs at around $20,000 and GTSs at around $30,000.

...How are parts for these cars? Similar to 944 part costs?

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
2/7/13 8:43 a.m.

Back in the day, I read an article in a British car magazine that described a UK businessman who put significant miles on his 928 because he used it instead of flying to get to his appointments all over Europe. I always thought that was pretty cool.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/7/13 8:48 a.m.

I've always liked the looks of these, and I had many Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars of them as a kid. Among them, I had these:

If the opportunity arose for me to buy one that's in nice shape and the price was right, I probably would. SWMBO loathes Porsches though.

peter
peter HalfDork
2/7/13 8:52 a.m.

Walking in to my local grocery store one day, I complimented a geezer on the fine Alfa 'vert he was parked in. Of course, this lead to him telling me about every car he had ever owned. Which was pretty much every car Classic Motorsports has ever covered. The only one he had any ire towards was the 928. He could not say a nice word about that car.

I figure, if you've happily owned that many maintenance-intensive vehicles (er, classics), I'm going to pay attention when your list of lemons is one car long.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
2/7/13 8:53 a.m.

Great to Poopy:

356 930 911 928 916 912 914 944 924

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
2/7/13 8:54 a.m.
RossD wrote: ...How are parts for these cars? Similar to 944 part costs?

For 928-specific parts, think multiples of 944 part prices. That being said, there are GRM ways to do it (i.e. porsche hvac blower = $700, bosch heater blower that fits = $120). Keeping them in perfect condition with Porsche parts could eat you alive. They are hand-built super cars. Compared to other had-built super cars, they are very reasonable to keep up.

As far as complexity goes - they were over the top 25 years ago. Compared to a modern car, they aren't that difficult. There are complex systems - like having 3 windshield washer pumps, but documentation is good, support is good, so nothing is impossible. Mechanically, they are fairly tough cars - unless a timing belt wasn't kept up with on a 32v car or flywheel wasn't kept in adjustment on an auto trans car. Electrically, especially as they age, they are a bit fragile. As far as collectible - maybe the GTS, I think the rest will continue to languish - until they start getting really thin on the ground. As far as the auto vs manual - 928 is one of the few cars out there that's probably a better car as an auto.

Damn good car to roll down the highway at 120 mph. My take, and Mrs. Oldtin has one, good candidate to gut, put in an LSx and go have fun.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
2/7/13 8:57 a.m.

I've never been interested in one. Friend of mine has one and really likes it, but I'm simply not interested in a Porsche that's more of a GT cruiser than a sports car.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
2/7/13 8:57 a.m.

I view the 928 in much the same light as a $1000 a night hooker: Very alluring and I would have no trouble finding the cash for a run, but if addicted, the road to ruin would be certain; both would cost me my family and savings.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/7/13 9:00 a.m.

If you are my age, you watched Risky Business in the theater and have wanted a 928 ever since. Even a crappy brown, non-S version would be awesome. Personally, I want one like this:

200MPH Club 928.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
2/7/13 9:07 a.m.
oldtin wrote: Damn good car to roll down the highway at 120 mph. My take, and Mrs. Oldtin has one, good candidate to gut, put in an LSx and go have fun.

With that in mind, which do you put your money down for -- a $10,000 928 or a $10,000 Corvette?

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
2/7/13 9:10 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I've always liked the looks of these, and I had many Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars of them as a kid. Among them, I had these: If the opportunity arose for me to buy one that's in nice shape and the price was right, I probably would. SWMBO loathes Porsches though.

Hey, I had that second one as a kid. I have now passed it down to the boys to enjoy.

I always liked the 928 for its looks and it makes nice noises too.

But like any other old german luxo-barge, it only makes senses to me if you strip it (removing about a ton of unreliable electric luxury items) and turn it into a race car.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/13 9:18 a.m.

The 928 is probably the prettiest street Porsche ever built, so yeah, I like them.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/7/13 9:34 a.m.

Love them. But afraid to buy one that's in my price range.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
2/7/13 9:35 a.m.

Wait, wait - I've got it! 928 with LS1 swap FTW!

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
2/7/13 9:41 a.m.

I like them OK, but their biggest problem are the 3rd, 4th, and 15th owners who did zero maintenance and let them rot into a flower bed. There are few really nice examples, especially early ones, that I'd be interested in.

The sole example I've had any experience in was an '86, and it was a decent driver and fairly quick. The problem as I see it, is that it does not give you that same feeling as a 911 or even a 944, and more modern cars with a lot less maintenance can be had with more "soul" and a lot less headache.

Now, if a nice early example fell in my lap, I'd certainly take it, but I'd never go out and hunt for one. I think they are nice looking though.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
2/7/13 9:51 a.m.

I'd be interested in seeing how it worked out to LSX-swap one and make a track toy out of it, but otherwise: Do. Not. Want.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork

No too many other cars I would much rather have.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork

It's in my personal product design hall of fame. I think is is a fantastically successful shape that pulls off that very rare feat of looking contemporary and gorgeous no matter what the current trend is. They may suck to maintain and not go like they should, but that is irrelevant, the design is so much more the point.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/7/13 9:52 a.m.

I like them. I've driven more than a few perspective cars I was going to buy. I quickly realized I do NOT want a 928 that I can afford. But I'd rather read a series of articles about I car I don't want to afford (928), than a car I can't afford.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
2/7/13 9:55 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: Wait, wait - I've got it! 928 with LS1 swap FTW!

It's not the engine that's an issue with a 928. It's the electrons.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
2/7/13 9:59 a.m.

nice round booty

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rHrFGzeDGaLy5rIEklHV0lJ2MFPwZhrCwlsZwGf7xCMLNPmkwbo1Tgl4w0mpxj7B