1 2 3
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/1/17 8:02 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

If only Porsche did this from the factory. But, since you'll be local. I'll def let you take it for a spin when I get it.

yupididit
6/1/17 8:06 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote:
yupididit wrote: I do need it and I will get it.
Just the look on your son"s face is worth the price

Yeah, he's the reason I didn't get a 996 carrera. He didn't like it and seemed rather unimpressed. But, he's totally crazy about the Cayman. He's basically my partner in test drives.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
6/1/17 10:01 p.m.

Damn dude even your son is making me feel bad about my 911 in this thread. LOL

yupididit
6/1/17 10:42 p.m.

LoL I liked the 996 but I had to go with HIS gut lol

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
6/1/17 11:18 p.m.

Man that Cayman is awesome.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/17 11:41 p.m.

In reply to yupididit:

Just wait until he starts claiming the new buy as his own. One of my favorite memories is the high five my son gave me after one of our better buys. Best thing about kids is they tell you what they really think instead of what they think you want to hear. Congrats on the Cayman.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/2/17 1:51 a.m.

I don't know how you can look so relaxed behind the wheel of that car. I don't know if I'd be able to wipe the stupid off my face.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/2/17 8:02 a.m.

I was definitely thinking of the wrong 3.8 swap when I clicked this thread. Dangit GRM...now I want a 3800 supercharged Cayman.

yupididit
6/2/17 10:54 a.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago:

That is my happy face excited child look. My face doesn't show a lot of emotion. It puts people off

In reply to Cotton:

A ponton would look great next to it one day haha

In reply to Stampie:

If we all had the honesty of a child...

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/18 10:00 a.m.

That Cayman thread reminded me of this one. This is still happening, he sent me pics the other day. I probably wont get it until this summer because I have to get rid of a few cars (some in California and some in Texas) and find a place to keep the cars I am keeping.

yupididit
1/11/18 10:13 a.m.

yupididit
1/11/18 3:14 p.m.

Apparently my pics in my previous pics disappeared. 

yupididit
1/11/18 3:19 p.m.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/11/18 3:31 p.m.

That Bad A$$ motor and the growl........ all I've read  about the 718 the foremost complaint is the lack of sensorial gratification.......scoreboard bro!!!!

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/11/18 4:45 p.m.

I'd want a lot of documentation. Anything more than a 4.0 is questionable from a quality/reliability point of view.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/11/18 5:04 p.m.

That's sexy. Like very sext.

yupididit
1/11/18 7:05 p.m.

In reply to markwemple :

Sup big baller,

You're semi local to vision motorsports (Leguna), if you ever see them at events ask them about their VM swaps. Or stop by. Or go to the porsche festival of speed in April and see for yourself.  Vision is very respected in the P car community.

My buddy was daily driving it for two years before he started flying out of northern California. It never gave him a single problem. There are quit a few 4.0 and 4.2 m97's running about as dd/ track cars doing well. 

91Eunos
91Eunos New Reader
7/14/18 11:25 p.m.

Hey Yupididit,

Are you and the car still in the San Antonio area?  My Cayman R <pooped> the bed on track this afternoon up at Harris Hill (I’m a member there).  Sounded like a throwout bearing (fingers crossed) but I pulled off immediately and shut the motor off so not 100% sure..afraid it may be a rod or engine related. 

Towing to Porsche of San Antonio tomorrow to have their lead mechanic (a friend of mine) go through it, and if the engine is toast will be looking for an upgrade...maybe TPC turbo, but leaning towards n/a 3.8L swap.

Would love to get your thoughts...  I’m in New Braunfels but can travel to see your car if you’re amenable...looking for ideas.

Don’t recall seeing you at any PCA events, but then again I typically only do track days and the occasional auto-X with them lately.  Are you involved with SASCCA or any of the local clubs?

edit:  LOL on the auto correct/language filter.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
7/15/18 7:43 a.m.

Yea you basically have to have it at this point 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/15/18 7:51 a.m.

Oh.  My.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/15/18 8:17 a.m.

The only thing to keep in mind is that $45k would get you a solid 996TT ... perhaps even an X50 if you’re lucky (not likely, but possible).

That will certainly be worth a LOT more in 5-10 years than a swapped Cayman (no matter how cool it is).

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/15/18 8:24 a.m.

OK, so you are smitten and the deal is done. But...

I was really liking this with the factory spec big engine swapped in.

Where you lost me is when you mentioned the mods to the new engine. Yeah, it's cool stuff, but....Your buddy lives in Loco central where he has the peer group and buying power to support this Frankenstein engine. You don't. (that I am aware)  When it comes to maintenance and repairs, you are going to be paying retail $$$ to someone who does not know what all has been done to the engine. 

If this is the car you would have built with your own two hands given the time,tools and space, and the on-going technical support is not a problem for you, then disregard the above.

Pete

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/15/18 8:56 a.m.

In reply to 91Eunos :

Haven't bought it yet. We're waiting to buy a house first which is taking longer than expected given our expectations and want. Also, waiting for the wife to finish school. 

yupididit
7/15/18 9:05 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Good point! Those were questions i asked myself. But besides tune, machine work, and a few bolt ons. Most of the mods are what Porsche did themselves. It's basically dimensionally identical, has an intake manifold from Porsche, and aftermarket exhaust. Anyone who can work on a 997.1 911 with bolt ons can work on this. 

yupididit
7/15/18 9:11 a.m.
LanEvo said:

The only thing to keep in mind is that $45k would get you a solid 996TT ... perhaps even an X50 if you’re lucky (not likely, but possible).

That will certainly be worth a LOT more in 5-10 years than a swapped Cayman (no matter how cool it is).

Never in my time in this automotive obsession have I ever considered how much something will be worth after I'm done with it. Whatever money I lose on a car I chalk it up as a "happy tax".

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vuLSZOVOsEDFEi54JjQRXp34CQRWYLXZdzaongFwuFRIVgFpLEBTGfHhqrD6VhhN