Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/11 1:36 p.m.

Okay, well I know the 924 and 944 up to 85 have a steel front lower control arm, and the 85.5 and up have an aluminum one. What I didn't realize is that the the 85.5-86 and 87-89 used different part #'s.

I realize the 87+ has a different offset wheel to clear the ABS brakes, but I know in the back the difference is all in the hub (as you need the wheel to go outboard of the brakes more), and I assume the same is true of the fronts?

Unfortunately information on the innertubes is a little sketchy, with some saying the different arms are longer in 87+, and others saying they've built 87+ track cars with the earlier steel LCA's with no issues, and they are all the same length.

So which is it? Is the 87+ (951 341 028 02) longer than the 85.5-86 (951 341 028 00)? If so by how much? If it is longer, can I install it anyways as an easy way to get camber for autocross?

Thanks for the help as I'm confused (as usual) and I stupidly bought a pair of LCA's to replace my bad one without checking part #'s.

Javelin
3/23/11 2:01 p.m.

Anybody? Maroon92 (can you measure two of them at work)?

grasshoppers

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/11 3:30 p.m.

I think the difference is only with the 86 turbo AKA why the 951 designation part number. If I remember the 944's are the same post 85.5. I am obviously not 100 percent sure on this. I will go do some research.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/23/11 3:36 p.m.

sorry, you should have asked me about it when you called! I just saw this thread.

I don't know off the top of my head, and unfortunately neither do any of the techs in back.

I can see if I can measure one on a car though. What measurements are you looking for?

Javelin
3/23/11 3:42 p.m.

Mostly the length of the "L", say from the bushing at the frame to the ball joint? (I forgot to ask when I called).

Supposedly it's different in between an 85.5-86 and an 87+ car (that last digit is the only part # difference) and I'd really like to know if that;s true or not, and if so by how much.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/11 3:44 p.m.

You think you are having fun my 87 924s has such a hodgepodge of early and late 944 parts in the suspension I often order both and return the one I don't use. I have early front suspension with steel a-arms and late rear suspension (I just ordered bearings for it).

Javelin
3/24/11 10:10 a.m.

Is the board broken? The discussion list shows a post here from Jay, but I don't see it!

I have now heard that it's 30MM longer (a little over an inch). I still don't see why.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
3/24/11 11:42 a.m.

Yeah, I wrote something on the offset/ABS difference between '86 and '87 cars. Then I scrolled up to the top and saw you already knew that, so I deleted it. You didn't miss anything profound or helpful.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZKxoeHieSXO68fnZARmNBNnEvGFbEchRoHhUmUMgyBVjBAor4OMEFu8SJqm6x0RY