1 2
PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/13/11 9:09 a.m.

So I was looking to buy the Porsche Sounds book/CDs (Bull Publishing) and came across this tidbit:

Bull Publishing website said: The other two CDs help set the mood through music: “Performance” features 11 tracks of turbo-inspired rock by Deep Purple, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon and others, while “Elegance” offers a more soothing soundtrack from a wide range of classical composers.

Now there are few things I enjoy more than a Porsche flat six, but the inclusion of Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, and "soothing" classical have me questioning whether to buy this...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
9/13/11 9:18 a.m.

For me, this will always be the ultimate Porsche song: Youtube - Bidibodi Bidibu

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
9/13/11 9:53 a.m.

Why don't you sit on Rabbit's lap...

I don't think that's a good idea.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/11 11:01 a.m.

I'm zo uzed to driving on ze autobahn.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
9/13/11 11:15 a.m.

I thought you were somehow trying to make this case.

Equals:

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/13/11 11:29 a.m.

The 2nd guy on the right... I think John McClane broke his brother's berkeleying neck and hung him on a chain at Nakatomi Plaza.

PS122
9/13/11 11:45 a.m.
16vCorey wrote: I thought you were somehow trying to make this case. Equals:

I could see the above connection better than the REO Speedwagon (band) to Porsche connection...

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
9/13/11 12:00 p.m.

Aside from REO Speedwagon sucking so badly I will never forgive them for making the these guys change their name.

That is the greatest band name parody that I have ever read. Speedwagon lawyered up, sent 'em a cease and desist and they had to drop the REO.

pres589
pres589 Dork
9/13/11 12:11 p.m.

I'm curious why you would buy album or book or whatever with or without REO Speedwagon on it.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
9/13/11 12:21 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: The 2nd guy on the right... I think John McClane broke his brother's berkeleying neck and hung him on a chain at Nakatomi Plaza.

Creepy, creepy dudes.

Joey

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
9/13/11 12:22 p.m.

Sure, it's easy to make fun of REO Speedwagon now after 30 years, but back in the late 70's and early 80's, they were huge. And Hi Infidelity is an awesome album. But don't take my word for it: http://blogcritics.org/music/article/music-review-reo-speedwagon-hi-infidelity/

9/13/11 12:32 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Sure, it's easy to make fun of REO Speedwagon now after 30 years, but back in the late 70's and early 80's, they were huge. And Hi Infidelity is an awesome album. But don't take my word for it: http://blogcritics.org/music/article/music-review-reo-speedwagon-hi-infidelity/

Back on the Road Again and Riding the Storm Out are two of the best road trip songs of all time.

Back on the Road Again, live 1983

Ridin' the Storm Out, Live 1977

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
9/13/11 12:49 p.m.

I dont know that I would have been a fan back then, either. I think I would have been more of a Nick Cave fan.

Joey

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
9/13/11 1:18 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Sure, it's easy to make fun of REO Speedwagon now after 30 years, but back in the late 70's and early 80's, they were huge..........

Totally agree as I saw them in concert twice back in the early 1980's..............

Duke
Duke SuperDork
9/13/11 2:24 p.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: Sure, it's easy to make fun of REO Speedwagon now after 30 years, but back in the late 70's and early 80's, they were huge. And Hi Infidelity is an awesome album. But don't take my word for it: http://blogcritics.org/music/article/music-review-reo-speedwagon-hi-infidelity/

And they sucked Bawls then, too. I graduated HS in 1982 so I grew up being forced to listen to that crap endlessly. REO, Journey, Foreigner, Boston, Kansas, Styx, all those late-'70s power pop bands were the purest unlistenable crap. New Wave was actually a sweet relief after that garbage, at least for a while.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
9/13/11 2:24 p.m.

I like the 83 Live version of Riding the Storm out. Hearing the 77 version on youtube keeps throwing me. Still, not too many bands have a Automotive History lesson as a band name.

9/13/11 2:32 p.m.
Duke wrote: New Wave was actually a sweet relief after that garbage, at least for a while.

Styx might have been painful but New Wave was a metaphorical Eel up the Hootis.

Think about what you are sayin'... Bow Wow Wow, Madness, Simple Minds, Human League, Level 42, Icehouse, New Order, The Cure, Bananarama, Erasure, Depeche Mode

I am cutting along the tracks right now just thinking about it.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/13/11 2:39 p.m.

REO jumped the shark early on and became power pop. (and got hugely successful)

For REO that is actually good rock and roll, check out their VERY early stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3VqY9dp8SE

It is a shame that got all sappy. They had a ton of talent.

PS122
9/13/11 2:40 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Duke wrote: New Wave was actually a sweet relief after that garbage, at least for a while.
Styx might have been painful but New Wave was a metaphorical Eel up the Hootis. Think about what you are sayin'... Bow Wow Wow, Madness, Simple Minds, Human League, Level 42, Icehouse, New Order, The Cure, Bananarama, Erasure, Depeche Mode I am cutting along the tracks right now just thinking about it.

I'll take The Cure, Depeche Mode, REM, The Pixies, etc. over that power pop, stadium rock E36 M3 any day.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/13/11 2:49 p.m.
PS122 wrote:
Styx might have been painful but New Wave was a metaphorical Eel up the Hootis. Think about what you are sayin'... Bow Wow Wow, Madness, Simple Minds, Human League, Level 42, Icehouse, New Order, The Cure, Bananarama, Erasure, Depeche Mode I am cutting along the tracks right now just thinking about it.
I'll take The Cure, Depeche Mode, REM, The Pixies, etc. over that power pop, stadium rock E36 M3 any day.

This reminds me of a great T-shirt that Gabe used to wear

" Your Favorite Band Sucks"

No use arguing about music......everyone has their likes and dislikes. Of course MY likes are better than yours!

9/13/11 2:58 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: This reminds me of a great T-shirt that Gabe used to wear " Your Favorite Band Sucks"

LOL. I wore this to my 25th year HS reunion. With a nice sport jacket ofcourse...

Right then... I have to go listen to some Sabbath Vol4 to wash the filthy Depeche Mode out of my mind. The reason they had concerts in stadiums... was because more than three people wanted tickets

Duke
Duke SuperDork
9/13/11 3:01 p.m.
PS122 wrote:

Yeah, this. Most of that New Wave stuff dated very heavily, but ALL of that powerpop crapola sounded old when it was still new.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Right then... I have to go listen to some Sabbath Vol4 to wash the filthy Depeche Mode out of my mind.

Sabbath rocks. Rock != power pop. Rock rocks. Power pop both sucks AND blows. It's like disco minus the drum machine and plus bad guitar and a screechy castrated male vocalist.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
9/13/11 3:09 p.m.

I think one of my most hated things in this world (Along with neo nazis, and poachers) is that motorin song.

UGH

Joey

procainestart
procainestart Dork
9/13/11 3:58 p.m.
joey48442 wrote: that motorin song.

You mean Sister Christian by Night Ranger?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92bmlcmyq0

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/13/11 4:27 p.m.

I'm more interested in the actual vehicle recordings on the CDs (or are they DVDs?). Does anyone have info on how they were recorded, what format they're in, etc.?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
upQIttY9JurLElblUrFh1w2EbuSI9BDYOaGTkz0nou7wzKajcwqeY1wCAzkKGFsW