1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/11/09 7:13 a.m.
Carrera30 wrote: Well after further review the car is in need of some help. A little more rust than I thought in some spots, not as much in others. It would need a paint job at some point to fix some bubbles, and gouges that have started to peel back. Floors look good, but there are some spots I just couldn't get a decent look at that might be of concern. It would certainly be a stretch to get to this guys asking price.

Whereabouts are the bubbles? Just asking because I've seen some right horrible early 911s and these things can rust pretty much anywhere.

Any Kellogs Cornflake noises from the the B pillars and the kidney bowl? The latter especially as it's a bit of a pig to repair.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
7/11/09 1:34 p.m.
Woody wrote:
belteshazzar wrote: so my friend selling his running driving 74 targa with working ac for 6500 is a good deal?
Keep in mind that the 74-77 911 (with a few notable exceptions like the Carrera 3.0) are among the least valuable. They were the first with impact bumpers (which I prefer), the engines had some major issues with reliability and emissions and Porsche didn't start galvanizing until 1977 , so they can get rusty. Also, Targas are generally worth less than coupes.

The '74 did not have the emissions controls, so no thermal reactors under it to make things too hot. It had the 11 blade fan that woks in most 911s, rather than the 5 blade fan found in the '75-77 cars, as well as numerous other advantages over the '75-77 cars. The impact bumpers were lightweight, and the rears used much MUCH smaller overriders than the '75-up cars.

The '74 2.7 can still profit from having the airbox blowoff fix (cheap and most have already been done) and the Carrera chain tensioners. But even though it's a 2.7, it doesn't usually have the same issues with the studs as the '75-77 cars due to the fact it runs cooler without the thermal reactors and with the larger fan.

I loved my '74. Great car for a few years while I had it, and seemed to be a reliable daily driver for at least a decade after that for the guy that bought it from me:

Carrera30
Carrera30 New Reader
7/11/09 1:55 p.m.

There is a bubble in the lower part of the passenger door, about 3/4 of an inch accross, and a few just below the b-pillar. Also a bit of rust at the extreme front underneath the trunk just behind the front valence as well as around the driver side jack point:

See pics.

NOHOME
NOHOME New Reader
7/11/09 3:19 p.m.

Go find out what a finished car is worth. One that you can drive today.

The car you show needs rust rehabilitation. New brakes and plumbing all around. Suspension re-build. Body and paint. Interior.

How is the trim? Even tires are going to go close to a grand.

So what I see is a PROJECT that should take two to five years depending on where you are with time and money. I also see 20k to do a proper restoration (if that is your plan versus making a porshe beater)

Over five years, still a beter deal than playing golf, plus you end up with a car worth something. But if you want to drive a porshe, I bet you could buy a decent one for around 20-25k.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/09 6:07 p.m.
Chris_V wrote: The '74 did not have the emissions controls, so no thermal reactors under it to make things too hot. It had the 11 blade fan that woks in most 911s, rather than the 5 blade fan found in the '75-77 cars, as well as numerous other advantages over the '75-77 cars. The impact bumpers were lightweight, and the rears used much MUCH smaller overriders than the '75-up cars. The '74 2.7 can still profit from having the airbox blowoff fix (cheap and most have already been done) and the Carrera chain tensioners. But even though it's a 2.7, it doesn't usually have the same issues with the studs as the '75-77 cars due to the fact it runs cooler without the thermal reactors and with the larger fan. I loved my '74. Great car for a few years while I had it, and seemed to be a reliable daily driver for at least a decade after that for the guy that bought it from me:

Fair enough.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vEI98a3BR0qwBHnkbSrcUCnnTx5GXKc4KaV2fXso0ikwbf7Ss22BDeeXoGUlEmhN