1 2
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/25/17 6:05 a.m.

BTW, I'm playing with a GM 60* V6. There is a way to make the exhaust make a similar sound, with no performance advantage.

Ain't doing it.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
4/25/17 6:53 a.m.

>

SVreX wrote:

I can't tell you the math, but I can explain the theory in layman's terms.

By getting the exhaust pulses in order, it creates a siphoning effect in the exhaust collector. This is like hooking a vacuum cleaner to the exhaust manifold. The spent charge in the cylinder is being pushed out mechanically by the pistons, but also pulled out by the siphoning airflow (called scavenging). When you do this on all 8 cylinders in firing order, you evacuate the cylinders faster, which allows fresh air to be pulled in faster.

While I love the sound, who cares about the sound if it ain't adding horsepower??

Soooo, a couple of Craiglist leaf blowers hooked up to suck on the headers and you have a cheap Challenge power adder. I think you should experiment with this concept and report back.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/25/17 6:57 a.m.
SVreX wrote: While I love the sound, who cares about the sound if it ain't adding horsepower??

Me. I like to go fast but I really need to sound good doing it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/25/17 7:01 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

So... you agree with me, right?

You want to go fast, and will THEN worry about the sound.

Would a slow car that sounded great do it for you? Yeah, me neither.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/25/17 7:04 a.m.

If you read between the lines of my GM 60* post, you will realize I was searching for ways to make the engine sound better. So, I care too.

But the choices I make will give me better exhaust tone AND performance, not just noise.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
4/25/18 6:01 a.m.

6.29 @ 107.82 with a 1.35 sec 60'......still Challenge legal. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/18 6:58 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Awesome!!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MNeBHl5ODPvNTAbaRdV9ueAWW9O4SzMA7ukwbfPi7rnWN8WdUUgDeeZFRNHUPg9j