1 2 3 4 5
z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/25/19 12:36 p.m.
irish44j said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to Ian F :

That's part of the math I'm doing with this thread right now.  The Merkur is also legal for Ford contingency but that only pays for a national level podium, which is a tough fight to win.

Having thought about BRZ myself here and there over the years, the one thing that always makes me leery is the seemingly never-ending rumors of the BR-Z's demise due to meh sales (especially vs. the Toyota-badged version) and the fact that it's the one thing in Subaru's line that isn't AWD making it a misfit toy in their lineup and difficult to market using their traditional methods. I would tend to wonder if the BR-Z goes out of production, does Subaru bail on offering contingency to them - since contingency is about marketing, and there's no reason to market a car that isn't in the lineup any longer. 

This (and my general distrust of Subaru engines) is the major reason I stopped thinking about BR-Zs. Besides, for the 1-2 rallies a year I do, contingency isn't necessarily the make/break factor - especially since you have to be FAST on the jump signing up in order to get the Subaru entry deals. 

Production numbers were specifically designed that way. 

The only way the BRZ is going away is if the GT 86 is killed as well, and they've confirmed a few times there will be a 2nd generation.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
7/25/19 1:09 p.m.
Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
7/25/19 1:48 p.m.

I haven't looking in the last few months, but I can recall seeing $11k - $13k for clean-titled cars.

GRM had one as a project last year.  It was super low mileage (30k) and only lightly damaged.  Salvage auction price was just under $14k.  

https://classicmotorsports.com/forum/grm/project-scion-fr-s-meet-our-r/145926/page1/

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
7/25/19 8:18 p.m.

$8k USD, 7 hours away from you:

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/subaru/brz/cambridge/ontario/5_44773791_20190312134818943/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=1_15_122&pc=N5V%202V7&sprx=1000

$8.5k USD with much lower mileage:

https://www.autotrader.ca/ico/subaru/brz/toronto/ontario/19_11151748_/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=2_15_122&pc=N5V%202V7&sprx=1000

One thing I will say, I drove a 65k mile 2013 FR-S today and it still felt really solid. From the way it drove, I couldn't tell it was used.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/25/19 9:29 p.m.
Snrub said:

$8k USD, 7 hours away from you:

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/subaru/brz/cambridge/ontario/5_44773791_20190312134818943/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=1_15_122&pc=N5V%202V7&sprx=1000

I'm close by that Cambridge car if you want eyes on it, I bought my last wagon from that dealer and it wasn't a terrible experience.

Adam

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
8/14/19 8:13 a.m.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/d/flushing-2014-subaru-brz-needs-engine/6952778274.html

posting because I want a build thread of a BRZ rally build. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
8/14/19 8:30 a.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

Thanks!  Time to find out how negotiable that price is...

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/14/19 8:41 a.m.

Local dealer has one the needs an engine for $11k...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/14/19 8:48 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Seems like a reasonable price to me.  Probably best not to think to long about it.  I wonder how much you could get for the interior bits to offset the purchase & build costs.  I also wonder how narrow the seats are... 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/14/19 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

I have a 32" waist. They are perfect.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/14/19 9:23 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I meant overall width. Always looking for potential Spitfire seat alternatives... wink

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/14/19 10:42 p.m.

I can give you a width tomorrow.

untchabl
untchabl Reader
8/15/19 4:49 a.m.

I was bidding on a 2016 BRZ on my local IAA last week. It had 56k miles and sold for $4,300 plus fees. Needed a passenger front fender and passenger door plus maybe some minor passenger front suspension damage from what I could tell from the online pics. Figured this would give you at least a price comparison for an actual sold unit.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/19 5:12 a.m.
irish44j said:
MrChaos said:

Why not just buy a cheap Impreza and put a frs/brz trans in it?

There's no such thing as a "cheap" Subaru when rallying. Just ask the pile of blown engines at every event

(and I'm saying that as a long-time WRX owner who likes Subarus)

What about Randy... oh, what the hell was his name... might not even have been Randy... anyway the guy who wrote a book about prepping a GC for stage rally?  He ran a 2.5RS for a long time and I don't recall him having engine issues.

Knurled.
8/15/19 5:15 a.m.
RedGT said:

I currently drive one of the best paying chassis/tire combos in autocross and I would NOT be running either if I didn't already want to.  Maybe rally pays a lot more than $600 to win but it takes a LOT of contingency to cover a whole build.

I mean you should build a rally BRZ anyway but contingency shouldn't be the reason.

"New enough to have parts available for a long time" is a much bigger better reason, IMO.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/15/19 5:45 a.m.
Knurled. said:
RedGT said:

I currently drive one of the best paying chassis/tire combos in autocross and I would NOT be running either if I didn't already want to.  Maybe rally pays a lot more than $600 to win but it takes a LOT of contingency to cover a whole build.

I mean you should build a rally BRZ anyway but contingency shouldn't be the reason.

"New enough to have parts available for a long time" is a much bigger better reason, IMO.

would a frs have the same thing? im seeing frs' 2-3k less than the similar brz's. around here clean title/manual 13 frs' are 8500-9k from dealers

Knurled.
8/15/19 6:13 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

But Subaru pays contingency.

Rallyists don't buy their cars from dealers, they buy from copart or craigslist.  (Or get destined-to-be-scrapped cars donated by the factory, if they have enough money/resources that they can make the manufacturer look good)

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
8/15/19 7:00 a.m.

Hmmm

https://www.copart.com/lot/34398079

bid a $90 and 5 hours left..

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/15/19 9:30 a.m.

In reply to Subscriber-unavailabile :

$175 as I type this ...with a $3650 buy it now price.  The location is a bit of a down-side, tho... OP is in eastern PA.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
8/15/19 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

That is extremely tempting, but I'm not ready to jump on it and ship it that far at the moment.  I need to get my E36 M3 together and wait for the next one if I really want to start with a wreck.

That one also has enough damage extending into the door opening and probably rear suspension pickups to give me pause.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/15/19 12:01 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Well... my thinking is since you aren't really in a great rush, the car might be able to take the "great GRM transfer" route from TX (starting with mazduece? although I'm not sure how close he is to it) to PA.  Or at least maybe some distance so you wouldn't have to take a trailer that far.  But otherwise, I totally get the "let's wait and see" plan.  And it does look like a bit of a risk to buy without being able to inspect it in person first.

TXratti
TXratti New Reader
8/15/19 12:28 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Well... my thinking is since you aren't really in a great rush, the car might be able to take the "great GRM transfer" route from TX (starting with mazduece? although I'm not sure how close he is to it) to PA.  Or at least maybe some distance so you wouldn't have to take a trailer that far.  But otherwise, I totally get the "let's wait and see" plan.  And it does look like a bit of a risk to buy without being able to inspect it in person first.

Also in TX here. I would think that an FRS rebadged as a Subaru would also qualify, considering the Merkur qualifies for Ford contingency.. FRS can be had for much cheaper!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
8/15/19 12:43 p.m.

In reply to TXratti :

Maybe... I guess it would be worth contacting Subaru to find out.  I'm not sure Ford would offer contingency for the Merkur if Merkur were an existing, competing car company instead of a long defunct spinoff brand.  Technically the XR4Ti doesn't even qualify, I had to contact Ford Racing in order to get it included.

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile Reader
8/15/19 2:37 p.m.

I wish I could say I could put eyes on it for you but Copart place is over an hour from where I am. And prob 2-3 for Seth.

sorry forgot you live that far up north. Cars around my parts are pretty cheap, except for miatas..

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
8/15/19 5:43 p.m.
1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vR2B6EQ8LDxObKrxDd06d1QnVegfuoaHFatGuchG6cYg3s7Cnpzjeuo7raMOt6UL