1 2
SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/08 11:31 a.m.

Okay, well I have the cash and the route is planned. I'm heading out at 2 o'clock in our Subaru Brat to to look at/get this thing; according to the guy I am like the only one who has bothered to come up and look at the car (?!?!) and I have first right of refusal. It's going to be immediately run on a 120 mile trip home too...this is gonna be one hell of an afternoon. I'm bringing my DSLR (and a tow bar, and oil, and PB Blaster, and a NOS wire smoke kit, etc.) and will post plenty of pics tonight.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
7/27/08 11:42 a.m.

Good luck!! Been there and done that so I totally know what you are going through. Looking forward to your updates.

ACarlson
ACarlson New Reader
7/27/08 11:42 a.m.

Ah, the excitement of a new used vehicle purchase. And a screamin' deal to boot.

Can't wait for updates...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/27/08 11:57 a.m.

outstanding! I hope it's as nice as it looks. photos can be deceiving, even when deceit is not the intent of the seller.

for proof, search the archive for "Rusty the Miata". two cans of Great Stuff, 3 quarts of Bondo, 1 Maaco respray, and BAM! instant classic.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
7/27/08 5:42 p.m.

Nothing yet so you still must be in route then. Hopefully it's under it's own power and not the BRATs.

SlickDizzy
7/27/08 9:29 p.m.

I bought it. Made the whole drive with no problems except a main fuse blew and the headlights died - oh well, it's British. More tomorrow.

ACarlson
ACarlson New Reader
7/27/08 10:32 p.m.

Awesome. Need pics.

SlickDizzy
7/27/08 11:36 p.m.

Photobucket

See Readers' Rides for more.

Luke
Luke Dork
7/28/08 3:57 a.m.

Congratulations! That's berkeleying cool

Hard to believe so little money bought such a decent example of such an awesome old car.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
7/28/08 7:19 a.m.
Luke wrote: Congratulations! That's berkeleying cool Hard to believe so little money bought such a decent example of such an awesome old car.

Yea I agree. The guy that gave me my 1980 Spitfire had bought a TR6 off ebay for less than $6,000. The car was immaculate except it had a small glitch in the clearcoat on the hood. Also, the previous owner had installed SU H8 carbs that were not properly adjusted and jetted. He car would not well well. He put Strombergs on it and it was fine.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
7/28/08 7:29 a.m.

Looks good!

I know someone else mentioned this, but it's really worth repeating: Check crankshaft thrust (or "end float").

With engine off and in neutral, push down clutch. This will push crank all the way "forward". Then push on front pully to push crank "back". If you have more than about 0.012" of movement, you need to change thrust washers. If you don't, the thrust washers can eventually fall out...then the engine grenades. I've seen plenty of these engines where the thrust washers have fallen into the oil pan.....it always seems like such a shame.

Replacing thrust washers is a fairly simple job. Drop oil pan and main bearing cap to install. There are different size thrust washers available (from Moss) to compensate for wear. G'luck!

jsinnard
jsinnard New Reader
7/28/08 7:41 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote:
93gsxturbo wrote: Nah I was just screwing with you. Looks like a screamin' deal!
Are you serious? I about E36 M3 my pants. Please verify.

Man.... that was funny...

Congrats on the new car and smokin' deal.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/28/08 10:05 a.m.

Congrats Slick!

If she is solid, that is one smokin deal!

Jack
Jack SuperDork
7/28/08 10:53 a.m.
aeronca65t wrote: I know someone else mentioned this, but it's really worth repeating: Check crankshaft thrust (or "end float").

Excellent suggestion. Being a TR3 & 8 owner, I forgot about this one.

Jack

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/28/08 10:56 a.m.

Awesome, I'm happy for you. I hope its as good as it looks.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/08 2:43 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote: Awesome, I'm happy for you. I hope its as good as it looks.

Isn't "I'm happy for you" slang for "you lucky bastard!"

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/28/08 5:31 p.m.

Totally!

AngryCorvair
7/29/08 2:29 p.m.

good score, slick! i loves me some TR6. after the challenge i'll still trade you for a SBC 944...

Jay
Jay HalfDork
7/29/08 4:36 p.m.

Awesome buy! I think that's my favourite of the TRs aside from maybe the TR8. I love how high up on the body the wheel arches go, but are still properly filled with tyre. The styling is all in the details.

Heh, has there ever been an "I bought an old British sports car and it made it home flawlessly without a single fault!" story? My own certainly wasn't.

J

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
7/29/08 5:37 p.m.
Jay wrote: Awesome buy! I think that's my favourite of the TRs aside from maybe the TR8. I love how high up on the body the wheel arches go, but are still properly filled with tyre. The styling is all in the details. Heh, has there ever been an "I bought an old British sports car and it made it home flawlessly without a single fault!" story? My own certainly wasn't. J

The wheels high in the arches comment is spot on! That and a few other touches take a car with a lot of potential to be a "hairsylists car" and make it downright masculine.

AngryCorvair
7/29/08 7:11 p.m.

+1 on digging the high arches. FWIW, IMO the stock steel wheels with center caps and trim rings, with red-line tires, is the hottest non-minilite look for these cars.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4Y7oxnod0HNU7xfggk6dDKCpm6Y749optW0kCdvwmwRwPyuDXtAwrDgVYNR3Z2yo