peter
peter HalfDork
2/15/13 10:55 p.m.

I'm in the middle of a Miata engine swap and decided to de-power my steering rack. The only issue I haven't solved yet (in my head at least), is how to tension the power steering/air-conditioning belt, as the pump acts as the belt tensioner in the stock setup.

Until a few years ago, there was a Mazda part that replaced the pump with an idler, but that part is NLA new and almost impossible to find used.

So, I'm stuck with my pump-as-tensioner.

Am I over-thinking things if I'm concerned I should somehow open this up, gut it, and grease it before I start running it without fluid?

WWGRMD?

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
2/16/13 4:28 a.m.

If you can't find an idler pulley I would say just keep the power steering unless there is some reason it's impossible to get it to work anymore without too much money.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/13 8:14 a.m.

I did this. I pulled the power steering pump apart, removed the pump part, resealed with RTV and reassembled. I refilled with ATF. For the hose bungs I either plugged and sealed with something and JB weld, or welded shut. Can't remember. It worked very well though. Eventually, I bought a real pulley off of Joey on this board. I had no issues with just using the gutted pump though, and it was free!

EDIT: If you do find a pulley, and the bearing is bad, McMaster-Carr has the proper size bearings. I also replaced the pinion shaft bearings in the de-powered rack with McMaster-Carr ones. One of the bearings was 7mm width and I could only get an 8mm width, but it worked fine.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
2/16/13 10:43 a.m.

Did you check the dorman line? They have several types of ac compressor replacements which can be remade to replace the powersteering pump.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltraDork
2/16/13 11:13 a.m.

So, if I read this right, you need the pump to tension the AIRBERKELEYINGCONDITIONING? Turn in your mancard at the window to the left.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/16/13 12:39 p.m.

So do I see a possible market for these pieces? I am surprised Flying Miata has not picked up on this. But.. . . I bet if I could be my hands on a power steering pump I could fab something up. Once finished make a jig and you make up a bunch more. Use an off the self idler pulley replacement of some kind and voila you have a sell-able product.

peter
peter HalfDork
2/16/13 2:41 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: So do I see a possible market for these pieces? I am surprised Flying Miata has not picked up on this. But.. . . I bet if I could be my hands on a power steering pump I could fab something up. Once finished make a jig and you make up a bunch more. Use an off the self idler pulley replacement of some kind and voila you have a sell-able product.

Yeah, I thought about that, but I'm just not sure how much market there is for these bits. Frankly, the original piece has a E36 M3-ton of cast metal making up the base - I don't know if that's because of the forces involved, or simple over-engineering. That and the issue of getting the belt perfectly aligned make me think that this project would require too much material and precision to hack something together...

And yes, I like running A/C in my convertible. I like being cool and I like the sunshine (my top is almost always down).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OhDw4w16FffvXiIbkO95rAWzCPJZIRssZNSHyAN1oGG3Kgp0XpLoL0obRQc99y8P