1 2 3
914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
8/6/09 10:23 a.m.

Driving fast is a lot like sex, everyone thinks they're good at it until they get a few tips from a professional.

Welcome.

Zman
Zman New Reader
8/6/09 10:30 a.m.

Hehe you got that off Top Gear but I like the reference, very topical.

It's also 100% true

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
8/6/09 12:41 p.m.

There's a lot to be said for simply running what you've got... this is why I autocross a Jetta TDI wagon (Bora over there...). And while it arguably has the worst power to weight ratio, I'm not the slowest car out there...

Zman
Zman New Reader
8/6/09 4:23 p.m.

I was looking into this now and it seems I may have been a little overzealous. I was looking at the Toyota Celicas (old gt-4) and 1990 MR2s just something with a little kick to get me started. What you guys think? I reckon a GT-4 would be pretty good at a raceday :) Cheap car too that i'm not bothered about wrecking.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
8/6/09 4:31 p.m.

Well wrecking is usually not an issue with autocross or hill climbs.

Zman
Zman New Reader
8/6/09 4:54 p.m.

Well that's good to hear.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
8/6/09 5:14 p.m.

As a matter of fact, spinning when autocrossing is kinda fun. That is if you don't make a habit of it.

It lets you feel the limits and since you can't really hit or hurt anything it lets you just enjoy the ride.

Zman
Zman New Reader
8/6/09 5:29 p.m.

True Indeed. I'm just still not 100% sure on what to do, whether to keep the RX-7 or sell it. Use it to Autocross or buy an old mr2/celica...i'm a naturally indecisive person so i guess it's gonna come down to what I feel like on the day

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/6/09 5:36 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Well wrecking is usually not an issue with autocross or hill climbs.

i beg to differ....

Zman
Zman New Reader
8/6/09 5:39 p.m.

Haha, go on then tell us your story.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
8/6/09 5:58 p.m.

well, its not any worse then auotcrossing an 82 olds delta 88....big, loud, and very slow, but gets everyone to luagh when i get it aournd the cones.

it seems no one made the comment that the answer to everything on here for cars is Miata.....

welcome to the madhouse that is the grm forum......

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
8/6/09 6:11 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZfEGvJbDW8

I have not driven a hillclimb yet, but in that video right before the incident you will see a person in a white colored shirt in the grassy area, that is me cornerworking... also what you dont notice is on the other side of that guardrail he rides the top of is about an 80 foot ravine... it does not get much MORE dangerous then hillclimbing.

more examples http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irLUgThKTIg

how about from your side of the pond http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DljQfic_qwU

Zman
Zman New Reader
8/6/09 6:40 p.m.

Well Simon tells me I should go for a Toyota MR2 MK1 to start with, then maybe move onto the RX-7 and then onto something (If anything) faster. :)

If I want to. He's told me what to replace and what parts to buy as he has one himself so I think i'm gonna go with that for the moment, to get some experience track driving :)

I gotta say thanks for all the advice though guys, very impressed so far, glad to become part of the community. Please feel free to post any more info for the rest of the nublets out there :)

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
8/6/09 6:58 p.m.

Greetings from an RX-7 autocrosser! I'm still new to racing as well. I've been trying to attend as many events as I can, but right now my FC is suffering from a bad front strut and a major vacuum leak. I feel your pain.

Like ckosacranoid metioned, the answer is always Miata (MX-5 in the Queen's English). Other acceptable answers include the E30-chassis BMW 3-series and the P71-chassis Ford Crown Victoria police car.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
8/6/09 8:01 p.m.

I still own a Miata so I too will recommend one first, but you said MR2. I used to own one of those as well so I will pass this tip.

The US epicenter of all things MR2 (gen 1 &2) is www.mr2oc.com. You will have to register to get in there but it is worth it.

smog7
smog7 Dork
8/6/09 11:04 p.m.

I would stay away from old turbo cars...

I own a 90 st185 all trac/ gt- four to say the least, it's an expensive care to own....

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
8/6/09 11:28 p.m.

Your Rx7 will do fine for autoX/Trackday duty.

Get out there and get some seat time.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/09 12:32 a.m.

You could look into a school that supplies their own cars, many in the states do, I'm sure there are race car driver instruction schools there in the UK

Zman
Zman New Reader
8/7/09 4:29 a.m.

Yeah i'm sure there are, I could go to one of those first to get some practice and then get out in the RX-7 :)

It's a 3rd Gen RX-7 though...I was told they are expensive to run as a track car. Is this so?

Luke
Luke Dork
8/7/09 6:42 a.m.

Whoa, it's a 3rd gen!? That's a whole 'nuther story. I was thinking it'd be an SA or FC. Performance wise, I dare say there's not a whole lot between a 350Z and an FD RX-7 (twin turbo and less weight.) They were practically supercars when new. I'd be inclined to just go out and have fun in your RX-7, (in a track type environment), preferably with an instructor on hand. It probably has way more power than a beginner "needs", but I don't think that would stop me .

Welcome to the forums, btw .

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy New Reader
8/7/09 7:31 a.m.

Any of the choices you've mentioned - VW Golf, RX-7, Mk1 MR2 - will ALL be fun in an autocross or track day environment. You can't go wrong with any of those choices. The thing to watch out for with the MR2 is once a mid-engine car kicks the tail out, it can be tough to straighten it out again. No reason not to get one - I loved autocrossing an 87 I owned and an 85 I fixed up and borrowed.

I'm also surprised the Miata/MX-5 hasn't been mentioned much yet. That's my current weapon of choice. Though for track days, you'll almost definitely be required to add a roll bar and harnesses, and depending on the organization running the event convertibles could be banned entirely. I'd go for something with a solid roof for run-what-ya-brung track days. Tons of fun for autocross, though. All I've done to mine is tires (Falken Azenis RT-615s), Hawk HPS front pads, and replaced the open diff with a factory VLSD, and I'm doing quite well with it locally. Lots of fun, too, and that's most important to me. But like I said, any of the other choices you mentioned will be fun, too - much more fun than the cars I started with!

Zman
Zman New Reader
8/7/09 10:35 a.m.

Yeah i was told the Mi{ta was a good car to choose and I still might consider it but imo it looks a little girly and call me superficial but it puts me off

scardeal
scardeal New Reader
8/7/09 3:08 p.m.

I just autocrossed the first time in my 350Z last Sunday... It was definitely a great experience!

I wasn't that competitive, but had a great time. I didn't even spin the thing. I was running B stock class/street tires, and hit 56.2 seconds. For reference, the best time was 47.2s in a race-prepped Solstice. The worst time was a 72s in a PT Cruiser. I was 55 of 74 out there, and 2 seconds behind the average. I know that my car definitely could have done 2 seconds better minimum with a more experienced driver.

But I had a blast being in the bottom third anyway...

Zman
Zman New Reader
8/7/09 3:14 p.m.

MMhmm a 350Z is awesome i hate you for having a 350z :P I want on but i was told they are hard to drive round corners. what's you're experience with them?

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
8/7/09 3:15 p.m.
Zman wrote: ...Miata ... good car to choose and I still might consider it but imo it looks a little girly...

Yes, you are new here so you are excused from your statement above.

Please follow this attached thread for some re-learning

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/guide-to-a-manly-miata/6544/page1/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XgQFelF8ZhgdudBhUlxZk68NDl7wCO4xfqT05GVPxH4bahGMGoDwyYUqtBU7EflU