Presented by Nine Lives Racing
1 2
kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/24/14 1:36 p.m.

So I've sent Flying foam a couple emails over the last month+ with no reply,my personal mantra is if a company has a website and email contact info but chooses to not reply to sales inquires than I move on.I won't chase a company to give my money too.

So has any of you guys have any other sources?,I'd love to hit the easy button and just order up an APR gt-250 but that's not even close to in the budget and I'm a hands on guy with a little bit of composite experience so enlighten me please.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/24/14 1:44 p.m.

you could have just made your own foam core in the last month and not needed to worry about giving anyone other than the local hobby store your money..

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/14 2:05 p.m.

Poptronics/house of foam on Harford rd baltimore maryland

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/24/14 2:10 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

Have lots of projects on the go,getting covered in itty bitty foam balls isn't high on the list.Besides I'd like a known profile instead of just "winging" it myself.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/24/14 2:32 p.m.

i'm trying to get ahold of a blade from a Big Ass Fan to make a rear wing(or 4) out of, but they don't seem to list them on their site. but if i can't procure one and actually decide to try it, i'll figure out how to make my own. can't be that hard: it's just the shape of an airplane wing..

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/24/14 3:52 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

Haha,you know planes all use different shaped wings depending on goals right?.Kinda like saying I'll grab a tire off whatever I find first and use that it'll be fine.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/24/14 3:57 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: Haha,you know planes all use different shaped wings depending on goals right?.Kinda like saying I'll grab a tire off whatever I find first and use that it'll be fine.

I think that is how most rallycrossers choose what size tires they run.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/24/14 4:26 p.m.

Have you googled "race car wing profile" and looked at images?

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/24/14 4:35 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

Yes tons plus have all the Mcbeath areo articles et etc,I know just enough to be dangerous.

This isn't a what profile do I use but a where to source a core to save me time and the mess without costing buckets of cash kinda question.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
12/24/14 4:55 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: In reply to novaderrik: Haha,you know planes all use different shaped wings depending on goals right?.Kinda like saying I'll grab a tire off whatever I find first and use that it'll be fine.

yeah, and i'm not building a car to compete in the upper levels of professional racing so it doesn't need to be ideal... it's a Neon that i paid $200 for that might hopefully someday be entered in a Chumpcar or 24 Hours of LeMons race..

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/24/14 6:53 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

Sounds perfect then,good luck with the project.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/24/14 7:10 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: In reply to novaderrik: Haha,you know planes all use different shaped wings depending on goals right?.Kinda like saying I'll grab a tire off whatever I find first and use that it'll be fine.

I use express composites in Minneapolis mm, YMMV.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/24/14 8:20 p.m.

Your best bet would be to build a wire foam cutter. They are cheap to build, and you can cut any airfoil section you need.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/24/14 9:18 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
kevlarcorolla wrote: Haha,you know planes all use different shaped wings depending on goals right?.Kinda like saying I'll grab a tire off whatever I find first and use that it'll be fine.
I think that is how most rallycrossers choose what size tires they run.

I think it's more like "hey stage rally team, what size tires did you just use on that last event that have 50% tread left...I'll make them fit my car"

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/24/14 9:20 p.m.

Well, if its a LeMons wing you're looking for, there are easier ways of doing it like we did, lol

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/14 11:46 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: Your best bet would be to build a wire foam cutter. They are cheap to build, and you can cut any airfoil section you need.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Big chunk of blue foam insulation, a wire cutter and a printout of a selected airfoil selection. Quick, easy and cheap.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
12/25/14 12:09 p.m.

There's many businesses which do CNC hot-wire foam cutting for the RC plane people. You send a file of the airfoil and dimensions, they blank a block of .9 pound EPS large enough to contain the wing, and zip the profile out. It ships nested in a nice big rectangle.

Flying Foam, for example.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/25/14 2:19 p.m.

In reply to motomoron:

See 1st post.

Keith I have lots of other projects and a single car garage space so I don't want to take up time and space to do hot wire deal.Find me a COT wing and I'll snag it off you.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
12/25/14 7:29 p.m.

Find local hardware store ask if they can cut it for you. Ask them for local area Radio Controlled Aircraft forums. Post there to find guy with core cutting experience and tools. Begin negotiations with said person for your desired product.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/14 7:37 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: In reply to motomoron: See 1st post. Keith I have lots of other projects and a single car garage space so I don't want to take up time and space to do hot wire deal.Find me a COT wing and I'll snag it off you.

Want a COT show car wing? I suspect you could stick in a spar, fill it with foam and it would be a decent option for $600 less than the usual street price on a COT. I have one.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/25/14 9:05 p.m.

I'm about to set up my hot wire cutter to do some wings. If I'm getting good results I would be willing to cut you one.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/26/14 4:08 a.m.

Find someone in the area building a Rutan VariEze.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/26/14 8:50 a.m.

Keith I've sent you an email regarding the wing.With regards to mounting do you have a drawing/measurements etc for the flying Miata mounts?.

I live in rural Ontario Canada,popping out to the local flying club/hobby store for help isn't an option.A large portion of my race car stuff comes from home depot.

Dave I'm interested in what your cutting out as well,let me see what Keith needs for the show car wing and then we can talk if needed.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
12/26/14 9:23 a.m.

I don't see a wing benefiting a chump car, the speeds are not high enough.

I think it would be smarter to spend the money and effort on something that will actually make the car faster, turn better or stop better.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
12/26/14 10:38 a.m.

Never said chump car,track only miata with the other mods already covered thanks.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kkwIEzmw5dmFZQYexHsRdSQsrhqlnJXDFdMgNkOwwbbM9QH0myiLuFLjLvzFJv4B