Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
9/4/19 10:13 a.m.

Short version. Building up a G13B. This is my first time dipping my toes in the Suzuki and actually Japanese engine world.  Block is off to the machine shop. I will be needing all the usual bits like main and rod bearings, gasket set, timing belt..ect. 

Who are the preferred vendors? I mean, Rockauto has everything but are there any businesses who are generally good folks in this niche that deserve support?

I have noticed Zomby/Superf1y has been back recently. Chime in with info sir.

Also I need a good set of stock cams. Mine are rust pitted and I'm hoping I can get good used for less than sending these out for regrinding.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/4/19 11:03 a.m.

What is the machine shop doing to the block?

Rock auto is fine if you get the better quality stuff. Anything from Altrom is very high quality.  If you need any valves or guides I think I'm out but if you need some send me an email through here. I'll direct you to the manufacturer who made them for me. I'm pretty sure they still have some.

Look here for cams. .

http://www.ssgtirep.com/forum/

All the ones I have are spoken for. If you want something ground include that in the email and I can tell you what you want and what you don't want

I have this later G13 for sale right now. It's not an option for you because of distance, but is otherwise a good alternative to the DOHC that most people aren't aware of

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
9/4/19 11:31 a.m.
Suprf1y said:

What is the machine shop doing to the block?

This motor ate its hesdgasket and then sat for a long time and the rings rusted to the bores causing pitting. It is being bored out for oversized pistons. 

I have a Napa account and will go through them for the Altrom stuff then. Thanks

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/4/19 11:32 a.m.

Make sure the oversize pistons are correct first before you start boring

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/4/19 11:33 a.m.

Check some of the samurai off road vendors since the samurai is still popular. Low range offroad has some cams for the g13 and g16 engines. Isky makes some that rocky road sells(i would avoid rocky road as a vendor however) both sell a 260/266 torque cam and a 272 horsepower cam. 

260 cam makes power between 1k and 4k and the 272 cam makes power from 2200 to 5500

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/4/19 11:36 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Wrong G13

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
9/4/19 12:01 p.m.
Suprf1y said:

Make sure the oversize pistons are correct first before you start boring

Machinist is trying to get an idea of how much of an overbore is needed before I order or have them made. What do I need to look out for?

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/4/19 2:54 p.m.

Compression height and pin bore. I don't think they're easy to find

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/4/19 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

they aren't. When I built mine I cheated and found a good fresh shortblock from a Sammy guy who decided to go V6 with his build rather than the turbo G13. I was thinking of going the build route too but finding pistons and valves sucked.... and that was almost 10 years ago. I wish you luck my friend. That is still one of my favorite all time engines. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/4/19 3:40 p.m.

Valves were always easy, I had stock, and even 1 pc SS oversized valves, but pistons have been a pain for all of the Suzuki 'performance' engines.

I found solutions for all of them but the G13 so I was custom machining D16 pistons for pretty much any compression ratio because of it. Sold a E36 M3pile of those.

If you want to go the D16 route I can tell you which ones to buy and what to do. I even have a few sets of teflon buttons left because I could only get the material (economically) in 10' lengths

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/4/19 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

Down here, OE valves were rare. I had to wait almost 2 months for my last 4 intake valves when I did the head (that got ate by the wrong/bad oil pump do you remember the carnage?).

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
9/4/19 9:58 p.m.
Suprf1y said:

If you want to go the D16 route I can tell you which ones to buy and what to do. I even have a few sets of teflon buttons left because I could only get the material (economically) in 10' lengths

What exactly is your recipe for D16 pistons?  I actually acquired a set of nice forged D16 pistons with 19mm floating pins hoping I could trust the internet and use them in this motor. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/5/19 8:16 a.m.

The G13 rods are too wide on the small end so the bosses need to be machined inside the piston to increase the width. The deck height needs to be lowered less than 1 mm and the dome needs to be machined down to your desired compression. Most of the sets I did were high 12 to 13.5-1. I can look up dimensions if you need them. The stock application was floating pin in the G13/pressed pin in the D16 so I machined up teflon buttons

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/5/19 8:27 a.m.

These are the pistons I used. They work very well

The one on the right is a 11-1 Cultus GTi piston

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1LTXH0CD1ZNMPqHAqdWHoXCOBTJ4EEtKp7XCSoZCDGM1rmw7RweDkVk4SlirY6UR