1 2 3
Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/26/15 8:31 p.m.

Our apologies for the long waited anticipation of the MT Motorsport Ecotec Miata swap parts. We will be hitting the market initially with the bare essentials for the DIY guys/gals to swap a GM Ecotec engine into their Miata. If the market is supportive of our initial parts, we will supply the remainder of the small odds and ends to do a complete turn key swap. Base kit / Individual parts pricing. (All parts will come complete with hardware included)

Pricing is in Canadian Dollars:

Oil Pan - $895.00

Engine Mounts - $395.00

Bell Housing Adapter - $495.00

Flywheel Adapter - $250.00

Thermostat Adapter(s) - $75.00 (Depends on which Ecotec Engine is being used)

We will have final photos of production pieces here on the MT Motorsport Facebook page before we go live on Ecotecmiata.com Once an order has been placed we will require a 2-3 week build time before shipment. Again, sorry for the long delay as we wanted to make sure we tested each piece extensively to ensure a very solid product for the end user

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/21/16 2:50 p.m.

Here is the cad->usd conversion from google.

Oil Pan - $895.00($685)

Engine Mounts - $395.00($303)

Bell Housing Adapter - $495.00($379)

Flywheel Adapter - $250.00($191)

Thermostat Adapter(s) - $75.00($58) (Depends on which Ecotec Engine is being used)

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
3/21/16 3:02 p.m.

New site is up

http://www.ecotecmiata.ca/

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
3/21/16 7:07 p.m.

will check out I remember C.C.C. showed some love for ecotecs before they folded. Especially the 2 liter (U.K.) and I've always wondered what G.Ms over here ran with them and what rwd potential was possible.

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/21/16 10:43 p.m.

Well this could be interesting. I'm gonna have to watch these, and try to find some build threads

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
3/22/16 9:54 a.m.

$5k for a turn key 200hp 200tq swap sounds interesting.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/22/16 10:05 a.m.

Given the NC and ND stock enginges share the Ecoboost structure and bell housing pattern, wouldn't a Ecoboost store make more sense?

Not knocking what they are doing, just asking a buisness decision question.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
3/22/16 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

valid question

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
3/22/16 10:26 a.m.

In reply to WOW Really Paul?:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford+Performance/397/M-9000-20TK/10002/-1

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/22/16 12:12 p.m.

So $5657 for a new engine, wiring harness and ecu plus, what? Some hoses and little wiring to get it to talk to the NC system? Swap over flywheel and all the MZR stuff.

for this...

So $5k for 200/200 or $6k for ~250/360? A $1,0000 for 50 hp and 150 ft-lbs seems like a steal to me.

This is why I asked the buisness case. Plus you can take a Junkyard engine and cut $2500 out of the costs.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/22/16 12:15 p.m.

This is what I found on the turbo Ecotec from the cobalt.

photo cobalt-ss-stage-1-power-graph_20090.jpg" />

Dbussey1
Dbussey1 New Reader
3/22/16 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

That's fair, but you're going to destroy the stock Miata transmission pretty quick with 360 lb ft of torque I'd bet, so a transmission swap should probably make it into the accounting as well.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/22/16 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Dbussey1:

I don't know...

Paging Keith Tanner to the green phone please, paging Keith Tanner to the green phone...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/16 12:32 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: So $5657 for a new engine, wiring harness and ecu plus, what? Some hoses and little wiring to get it to talk to the NC system? Swap over flywheel and all the MZR stuff. for this... So $5k for 200/200 or $6k for ~250/360? A $1,0000 for 50 hp and 150 ft-lbs seems like a steal to me. This is why I asked the buisness case. Plus you can take a Junkyard engine and cut $2500 out of the costs.

"A little wiring" There will be some sheetmetal work to fit the DI Ecoboost in an NC. That high pressure fuel pump wants to share space with the firewall, IIRC.

And yes, you'd probably take that transmission apart with that torque. The NC guys haven't probed the limits as much as the NA/NB guys have, but it's the same basic internals. It's a swap that I find interesting, but I haven't worked very hard on trying to make it happen.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/22/16 12:56 p.m.

DI pump sticks out 140mm rear of the flywheel. Might need a trim and a containment box.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/22/16 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

well the "little wiring" comes to the Mazda interface as the Ford interface listed is a stand alone and it don't care.

Need to look into the high pressure pump issue.

Any luck on a phone call to the service torque spec of the P601? Please????

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/16 1:06 p.m.

even without the miata swap parts, this is a cool option for another modern inline 4 mated to a great RWD gearbox.

Should be a nice option for locost, homebuilt, hotrod/ratrod, LBC swaps, etc.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/16 1:10 p.m.

P601-03-000 is the part number for the modified 6-speed used in the MX-5 Cup cars. In my understanding, the difference is a reinforced 3-4 shift fork so it won't break after 200 laps. Been there, done that.

The "little wiring" is the tough stuff - making ABS, the PRHT and the gauges work. Making the engine run is easy.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/22/16 1:11 p.m.

In reply to Robbie:

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I wish everyone would make adapters for everything that will even remotely fit. But that is just the OCD voices talking. The other voices say make everything one off for anarchy!!!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/22/16 1:16 p.m.

Nice kit too, I like the MT cut outs in everything. You in-housing that stuff or farming it out? Looks trick.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
3/30/16 8:53 p.m.

http://www.drivermod.ca/articles-1/2016/3/30/the-ecotec-miata-swap-is-the-bargain-of-the-century

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/30/16 10:26 p.m.

Color me confused here for a second. How are they getting from the 145-150 WHP that the engine produced stock in the Sky to over 200 WHP in the miata? It seems a little optimistic for just adding an intake, maybe a header judging from the pictures, and possibly an exhaust. I could see 20-30 WHP for all of that. I'm wondering what else they did to actually get it to the over 200 WHP they are claiming.

Seems like a lot of work for not a huge amount of gain unless you drop in a turbo motor which they say is a lot more complex.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/16 5:24 a.m.

In reply to bmw88rider:

It's not in a GM anymore, that is an instant +20% from what I have read online

The Ecotec seems to be a really corked-up engine. The GM power manual for the engine series detailed a naturally aspirated build and it made close to 300hp in surprisingly mild trim.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
3/31/16 8:16 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: DI pump sticks out 140mm rear of the flywheel. Might need a trim and a containment box.

Yeah, a little searching and I found this. It seems likely that you would have to cut a hole the width of the engine plus some to fit this in there.

http://www.2gfusions.net/printthread.php?tid=2

STM317
STM317 Reader
3/31/16 8:25 a.m.
singleslammer wrote:
Flight Service wrote: DI pump sticks out 140mm rear of the flywheel. Might need a trim and a containment box.
Yeah, a little searching and I found this. It seems likely that you would have to cut a hole the width of the engine plus some to fit this in there. http://www.2gfusions.net/printthread.php?tid=2

Since the EcoBoost is just a fancy Duratec, and the Duratec is the same as the NC Miata engine, why not skip the hassle of all the DI stuff and just turbo the stock Miata engine? No fancy stand alone controller for the DI stuff. No cutting of the firewall. Injectors, turbo hardware, and a normal OBDII reflash should be cheaper or at the very least easier than the hassles of the EcoBoost.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UWyllzNbpoeJnQWhhHTPdrdfZoAMgKiCeNoHBRALjM2cd8ZrK3E3zSX2G8MRNS0C