Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/14/18 9:15 p.m.

I recently wrote out a list of stuff I needed to do before the challenge. I even looked at it long and hard and rearranged it in order of priority and things that would likely benefit me most went up top. 

You know, sensible stuff like change the oil on the challenge car, gap the spark plugs, maybe test fit the race wheels and tires and drive around the block, heck I might even get to a local event to test.

So naturally I then spent about 1.5 hrs modifying this plastic 8 ball shift knob to fit.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/14/18 10:05 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Sometimes as a car guy doing that small visual thing can be inspiring.  

Yes! I've learned that I have to do the thing that will motivate me to do the next thing. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/14/18 10:31 p.m.

The influence of Roadkill is far reaching.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/18 11:10 a.m.
Appleseed said:

for doing unimportant stuff first, or for 8-ball shift knob?   because i'm pretty sure the first 8-ball shift knob was installed shortly after someone realized they owned both a shifter and an 8-ball.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
8/15/18 2:35 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Appleseed said:

for doing unimportant stuff first, or for 8-ball shift knob?   because i'm pretty sure the first 8-ball shift knob was installed shortly after someone realized they owned both a shifter and an 8-ball.

I’m pretty sure this has been a common thing with cars for decades lol

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/15/18 3:04 p.m.

Depending on the car and the part of the country, thats the wrong 8 ball devil

But i know what you mean. Instead of spending sick time researching various solutions to my oxygen sensor codes, i researched stereo install and upgrades. Because THAT is the next most glaring issue, and i have all the parts on hand. Good stereo will motivate me to keep exercising the demons.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/15/18 3:17 p.m.

Totally agree, I like to do some small things to get me motivated to do the big stuff.

My new daily driver Land Cruiser had a very scratched up center console around the shifter and the cup holder was gross.  Pulled it all apart, cleaned it, wrapped the center console in 3D carbon vinyl, put it back together.  Cost a few bucks and an hour, but fixed it really nice.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/15/18 5:18 p.m.

That's what we call an "Ooo shiny!" moment...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
8/15/18 8:38 p.m.

This is what I go through with my house, every damn time I work on it.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/15/18 8:49 p.m.

I’m over here ordering parts before I fix the water pump on my car. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/16/18 2:24 p.m.

Did the new shifter make you happy? If so, yeah, you totally did the right thing. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dW33BCeDdYimgRAWnJqxcs38Ivs9c7PNGbgYZrf0rUaQLlln9cuJYBahUNo1BPZi