1 2
Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/30/12 7:16 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
the article said: With 110 horsepower and a 6,500 RPM redline, the Cosworth Vega was one of the hottest performing cars available in 1975
ooohh.. excitement.. that would be the perfect car for an LS swap- it's probably the only Vega in existence that doesn't have the rear suspension mounting points rotting off.

Nope........I am pretty sure those are rotting off too.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
8/30/12 7:16 p.m.

Ah... I owned a base model 1bbl, auto. Bias ply tires - inflated to 40 psi to add sidewall stiffness. Bought it for $25, drove it for 5000 miles before the trailing arms pulled from the frame. Then sold it to a junkyard for $50

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
8/30/12 7:20 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

you are even older than me.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
8/30/12 7:37 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I DD a car with no A/C.

Me three. Not proud of it, but I figure the car has been paying me $200 a month for the last ten years. Those 100 plus degree days get me posting "What car" threads though.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
8/30/12 8:31 p.m.
Argo1 wrote: The Vega is generally regarded as one of the 50 worst cars ever made... and I actually bought two of them new. Doesn't say much for my judgement.

Don't feel too bad, I've owned 2 Pinto's and almost traded the second one for a Pinto Panel Wagon.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
8/30/12 8:38 p.m.

My dad bought my sisters a Vega from a friend of his that ran an auto refurbishing place, take a couple wrecked cars and build one good one and sell it. When my sister went to the dealer for some suspension parts to raise it back to stock so it would go up the driveway without scrapping she found that regular Vega parts didn't fit.......Cosworth Vega parts did however. Downfall was a standard Vega engine and AT. I had evil thoughts about a Buick 231 V6 shoved in it back then.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/30/12 9:47 p.m.

just remembered, my parents brought me home from the hospital in a brand new 1974 Vega wagon. It was an autotragic because Mom couldn't push the clutch in all the way. Odd, because all her previous cars had been 4-speeds. ('64 Corvair Monza, 67 Coronet 383, '69 Mustang fastback and and Dad had a '70 Camaro RS 350 4-speed split bumper.) I think I screwed up their auto vibe because it was full size vans, pickups, a Blazer and a Suburban for the rest of the 70's.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
8/30/12 10:25 p.m.

If I could have found one cheap (ha!) I'd have made one instead of Tom Celica. Believe it or not, it's classed in FSP. Sure looks like a winner on paper.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
8/31/12 12:39 a.m.
Shaun wrote: In reply to oldeskewltoy: you are even older than me.

53 next week.

impulsive
impulsive Reader
8/31/12 9:55 a.m.
racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
8/31/12 2:38 p.m.

So let's see, for the price of a couple of nice '80's 911's I can get slow, poor hanlding, poorly built economy car that wasn't all that well received when new, and has been languishing since.

I autocrossed one back in the '80's that had a few mods, and it was way slower than my stock '83 Alfa Spider at the time complete with the OE tires still mounted up. The Cossie had coilovers, Konis and sticky tires, but the stock Cosworth with twin DCOE's. Not a great driver even with all that. Poor turn in, and the back would get light, so you got understeer going in and oversteer at mid corner. Power was worse than the Alfa. You definitely didn't get out thinking, "I gotta have one of those." You got out thinking, "that was sorta ok...for a pizza delivery car."

The best place for it to be would be a museum.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
b1tOQkdnTgnFfSu996x9vjRdD7yRJXsnKjrkWmd3lTXlTB0qBuHNSrNL9dnXVBPW