1 2
Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/11/20 8:48 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

The police left it there with a tag on the window and I went up with a flatbed the following Friday. 

Tow-$0

Storage-$0

Abandoned car still in my name up and running- priceless

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/11/20 8:56 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

This is the best story I've seen in a while. Hilarious! And good on you for getting it running again!

Drove it across town to my house after I got it running, sans bumper cover and all. No CEL, no codes, came up to temp, no warning lights, nothing. Needs some fresh gas, for sure. Next up is repairing the front marker light wiring and putting on a new bumper cover. While I'm in there, I'm gonna swap out the fog light bulbs with amber LEDs. At that point, it'll get fresh fluids and a good once over, then it'll go into service as the daily and I'll start tearing apart the Ramcharger. I'm actually kind of excited, not everyday that providence grants you an effectively free car. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/12/20 2:51 p.m.

So, I guess this'll be the build and maintenance thread for my P5 wagon. Soon as I get some parts in, I'll post some pics.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
7/12/20 3:14 p.m.

So awesome it’s running and driving! 

I love this story! Especially since it’s a P5, a car I’ve always loved, but never owned.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/19/20 8:59 p.m.

Well, right now, it's parked. I need a bumper cover, need to repair the fog light mounting bracket for the passenger side, gotta figure out turn signal wiring/issues, and it could really use a bath and a detail, along with a fluid change. That's all gotta wait until the house goes from gutted box to livable domicile. I hate waiting...

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/20 10:13 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I'd just resell it.  How often czn we profit twice on the same car?

Twice?

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/20 7:28 a.m.

I love P5s, but I hated the engine that they came with.  I liked the older 1.8 in the Proteges . . .

The one in our family ATE rear calipers.  But otherwise it was a desirable little car.  I haven't seen one for quite some time in our area.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
7/21/20 12:31 p.m.

Man, my P5 was such a mistake and waste of money if the cops called me and told me to pick it up I'd change identities. 

I've never had a car that looked so superficially rusty come apart from structural areas in such horrifying chunks.

Godspeed sir. Here's hoping you get all the good luck that mine stole from me.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/21/20 12:39 p.m.

Had they abandoned the keys in the car?  Or do you keep a key to cars you sell?

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/22/20 11:20 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) :

Keys were in the glovebox. I had planned on a new ignition lock cylinder and key, but lucked out.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/7/20 5:36 p.m.

New bumper cover is on the way (eventually). Time to dig into the wiring and see why blinkers no worky. May have something to do with all the shredded wires behind the bumper cover? 

Does anybody have a wiring diagram to one of these?

Also, getting excited to drive my little zippy car again. The Ramcharger is awesome, but 'tis a ponderous beast...

I have the factory service manual in pdf form.

Got an FTP method?  It's only 49 mb.

Used to be available online as well. There was a link in the p5 section on mazds24/7 forum 

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

I got it somewhere like that.

dabird
dabird Reader
9/7/20 8:07 p.m.

I sold an 85 Scirocco to kid once and he called me like 6 months later and said the car got impounded and since he never registered it he couldn't get it out. He said if I wanted the car back  I could go get it. I called the lot and they want like $250 to get it out. I didn't have the money at the time so I couldn't swing it and the tow lot refused to work with me . I ended up getting a bill for like $1200 in storage fees. Lucky for me I was in the middle of a messy divorce and bankruptcy so I just tacked it on at the last minute. I still regret not figuring out how to get the cash to get the car back 

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/7/20 9:39 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Dunno what FTP is. It can be emailed, yeah?

I can be reached via forum PM there, or my handle is reconemt, account is through gmail. 

"File Transfer Protocol" -  A way of sending big ass files over the internet.  I've got options.  I'll shoot you a pm.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/9/20 8:50 p.m.

At the request of a GRMer, here is a pic of the Prodigal Protegé, from my prior ownership. It looks about the same now, just missing a bumper cover...

There is a small part of me that would like to stuff a Subaru drivetrain in it. Would be an awesome rally hatch!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/10/20 10:23 a.m.

What did the previous "owner" do for a tag?

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/10/20 3:24 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill :

I have no clue...

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
9/19/20 5:36 p.m.

Okay, finally got some time to work on my stuff instead of everybody else's. The Previous "Owner", at one point, ripped the bumper cover in two just below the DS headlight. A new cover was sourced, and I've been waiting for time and weather to cooperate. A week ago, the daily (my Ramcharger) started puking oil, which may be the rear main. Haven't been able to look at that either... but now, the Mazda is road legal again once I get tags renewed, and I can drive it while I fix the Dodge. 
Anyways, without any further ado, I present to you the (in)famous skunkworks Protegé 5!!!

And yes, I'm leaving the bumper cover black. Too many other rust spots and dings...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PWTvDGegQP204jK5uQ6vzXoe5BQ1wI5DNsqwbnNWNQy4WHGDPHwnnyTbSIXdEYmZ