Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/20/19 8:00 a.m.
feature_image

While we don’t like the stock shift mechanism on an E30 BMW—especially in worn out form—we are always nervous about short shift kits. Most tend to make shifting notchy and even harder, not easier to shift. This is especially true when in the heat of battle, say, at an autocross event.

We discussed our concerns with James Clay at BimmerWorld …

Read the rest of the story

wae
wae SuperDork
6/20/19 8:14 a.m.

I have no input to give, but being stuck at the top of latest topics just makes my ocd crazy.

Daeldalus
Daeldalus Reader
6/20/19 8:56 a.m.

If you want the shifter to feel really nice you should install a DSSR. I fully rebuilt the stock setup on both of my e30s with quality parts and both times it was good for about a 15% improvement. 

Last year I installed a garagistic DSSR and it is a night and day difference. Best money i have spent on the shifter for these cars hands down.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/20/19 9:20 a.m.

I don't know... I installed that Z3 kit in my E30 that had fairly worn bushings. It went from feeling really vague and crappy to feeling marginally less vague and crappy.  Maybe the linkage inside the transmission was worn, but replacing all of the external components of  the shift mechanism didn't really do squat. I bought a DSSR for it, but ending up selling the car before getting to install it.

Of all of the manual transmission cars and trucks I've owned and driven, the E30 shifter is one of the worst. And adjusted for age, definitely the worst.  

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/20/19 9:32 a.m.
Daeldalus said:

If you want the shifter to feel really nice you should install a DSSR. I fully rebuilt the stock setup on both of my e30s with quality parts and both times it was good for about a 15% improvement. 

Last year I installed a garagistic DSSR and it is a night and day difference. Best money i have spent on the shifter for these cars hands down.

+1 on the DSSR.  If you're rebuilding your shifter, this is a must-have upgrade.

Ian F said:

Of all of the manual transmission cars and trucks I've owned and driven, the E30 shifter is one of the worst. And adjusted for age, definitely the worst.  

You've been blessed to have never owned a VW product or a 911 with a 915 gearbox, then.  smiley

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/20/19 10:00 a.m.

In reply to Tyler H :

An air-cooled VW, no - but the cable shifter in my 2003 Jetta is far better than the E30, even after 300K miles of use.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WzKVSJGdnyS5MnCMCWEey3d1gtygw5bhPAA383KOO9IfOgQgqJL7IvAv4ZQ7VRwE