Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
10/4/18 1:22 p.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Story and Photos by Tom Suddard

After devoting a year to planning, building and setting up our backyard shop, we finally took a break. Why? Because in our minds, it was done–a finished haven ready to …

Read the rest of the story

te72
te72 Reader
10/4/18 11:41 p.m.

Tooling up a garage... the eternally difficult decision. When you finally get to work in a garage that you wisely outfitted with stuff like this, you'll wonder how you ever did it without such a setup.

However... this stuff isn't cheap, and the sky is the limit on what you install. Whatever you spend on outfitting the garage takes away from project car budgets.

Tough call.

te72
te72 Reader
10/8/18 11:24 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Think vertically my friend. I have a rule in general for the garage: if it doesn't have wheels, it doesn't belong on the floor. Even some things that do have wheels (wheel dollies, for example) get stored off the ground when not in use.

Good call on the floor coating, if done well, you won't regret it.

te72
te72 Reader
10/9/18 10:07 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

Sounds like you'll have an excellent layout for working on a project car. I made the mistake of making sure the garage fit all the cars we have indoors, but didn't really account for the idea that we'd be working on these cars occasionally... oops! So, yeah, figure if you want to park indoors, give yourself about 400 sq-ft of space to dedicate to maintenance / project work, and try to resist the temptation to stuff another car in there haha.

Anthony, we're all too old for jack stand work, we just don't know it yet. Jackstands are great for the pits, the home garage / shop... not so much, in the long run. Especially for small guys like me.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
10/9/18 10:33 p.m.

mmm.....storage

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vkipJ8XDj3xei6RYYFb4AqhnTMgyOrKuiO9ReszVzecAtPUj4NdzR5GEGaHzZbJq