https://youtu.be/WIyxrvO3dRk

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/1/18 4:08 p.m.

Yesssssssss

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
11/1/18 4:50 p.m.

These keep coming at this rate and they'll be done in only another 4 years.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/1/18 4:55 p.m.

Berkely me gently...

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/1/18 5:32 p.m.

My goal is to be on the road before them!

Pete

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/18 5:45 p.m.

Pretty sly, but where does the condenser go?

Anxious to see.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/1/18 6:00 p.m.

A nod to This Old Tony in there, when he cuts the bar with a pair of scissors.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/18 6:33 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

Pretty sly, but where does the condenser go?

Anxious to see.

They already accounted for that when they rigged up the cooling stack for the nose.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/1/18 7:39 p.m.

That alternator and compressor mount... surprise

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/18 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

No Claro.

Do you mean the vents at the base of the windshield? The inlet for external air into the cab? 

I don't see room after the radiator and air to coolant intercooler, but something tells me they have a plan. 

Also, I totally could've missed something. Cheers!

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
11/1/18 9:56 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

A nod to This Old Tony in there, when he cuts the bar with a pair of scissors.

The lathe as a time machine is straight out of the TOT playbook as well

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/1/18 11:30 p.m.

First binky I’ve watched. Those guys are berkeleying crazy. I laughed so much at the final view of the alternator and ac compressor drive assembly. What a couple of nutters. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/18 5:25 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Base of the windshield?  Eh?  I meant the cooling stack.  I dimly recall a small, undersized condensor in front of the heat exchanger and radiator.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/2/18 6:43 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Just in case this one hasn't hooked you, you really should start at the beginning, both for the joy and hilarity, and to see that a lot of the build is a lot more just sane and awesome. Though it totally solves the problem, it seems like it might make them look crazier than they are. Not that they're not crazy.

There's a lot of stuff that's really involved, but considering the packaging job they're doing, I'm impressed with how sane most of it is. The flex drive and its supporting structure really strike me as standout for the level of complication and general WTF-ness.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/18 7:14 a.m.

I'm curious about the durability of the flex shaft. A quick internet search shows most of them rated a 6000 rpm or less and they are turning it at double engine speed. Also, a AC compressor sucks up a lot of HP. I'd be interested to see the specs on the shaft. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/2/18 7:25 a.m.

In reply to Ransom :

I am halfway hooked. I was really blown away with their ability to make sheet metal do what they want it to and tacking the wire loom support tabs everywhere really impressed me. Their wiring was top notch. The zip tie reliance is not “factory” but they’re not building a factory looking car so...

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
11/2/18 7:25 a.m.
dculberson said:

First binky I’ve watched. Those guys are berkeleying crazy. I laughed so much at the final view of the alternator and ac compressor drive assembly. What a couple of nutters. 

You really need to go watch all the episodes . Besides being good entertainment, you really do glean some neat ideas from the build.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/2/18 7:27 a.m.

The flex shaft is nuts, but it does solve the packaging problem. 

My Google-fu didn't turn up much, but it appears what they bought was made to order from a place like this: http://www.cefindustries.com/pages/flexible-shafts.cfm

Besides the craziness of the build itself, the quality of the production is also great.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/2/18 7:42 a.m.

Ho-lee carp.  Man, they actually managed to outdo themselves again.  That takes insane to new levels of insanity.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy Reader
11/2/18 8:26 a.m.

I particularly enjoy how every episode so far, they do something that blows my mind.

The ingenuity they have when it comes to just about everything makes me waiting for the next episode the moment the newest one ends.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
11/2/18 8:34 a.m.

Is it me, or are any of you seeing signs of rust forming on the body?

MulletTruck
MulletTruck HalfDork
11/2/18 9:48 a.m.

I wonder why they kept with the large bodied alternator. I would have thought they would have went with something like the Geo unit that is half that size.

You can defiantly tell the Youtube shows they watch, they tip their hats to them pretty regular. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/2/18 9:51 a.m.

In reply to MulletTruck :

What? They did go with a small body alternator.  

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
11/2/18 6:22 p.m.

What...? That was gloriously over engineered and ingenious.

stroker
stroker UltraDork
11/2/18 6:35 p.m.

I'm a little concerned about all that bare wiring going through sheet metal holes with no rubber grommets...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tskUL3U8yuLnYC3TIlrVRQ6zRMBRCe00DyjU8pIMM067fC8e7niDKgicXtVqG0Pc