1 2 3
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/18 6:53 p.m.
stroker said:

I'm a little concerned about all that bare wiring going through sheet metal holes with no rubber grommets...

Remember that they're going to have to tear this whole car down for paint. No point in putting grommets in place, they'll just have to be removed and the car won't really be driven this way.

I'm concerned about the fact that they deleted the harmonic damper with that alternator rig. On a turbo Miata engine, that thing would take out the oil pump before the next oil change. People don't believe that until they try it and they lose the engine, but it's a very, very clear relationship.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/18 6:57 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

I am assuming that they will properly grommet and loom everything after they completely disassemble the mess down to a bare shell for paint.

Knurled.
11/2/18 7:00 p.m.
Keith Tanner said: I'm concerned about the fact that they deleted the harmonic damper with that alternator rig. On a turbo Miata engine, that thing would take out the oil pump before the next oil change. People don't believe that until they try it and they lose the engine, but it's a very, very clear relationship.

As was I, but the interesting thing is, to some extent the toothed belt and driven shaft will act as a harmonic damper all on its own.

In the "American Iron" V8 world, it's accepted that a Gilmer drive and 6-71 or larger supercharger negate the need for a traditional damper, because that whole mess acts as a damper mass by itself.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/18 8:25 p.m.
stroker said:

I'm a little concerned about all that bare wiring going through sheet metal holes with no rubber grommets...

Didn't you notice them put a grommet on the wire at the beginning of the episode?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/2/18 10:25 p.m.

I've watched every episode, and my mind is still trying to balance "Man, I wish my projects had this level of attention to detail" with "Holy, the entire thing is needlessly complex."

stroker
stroker UltraDork
11/2/18 10:46 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

not when they were feeding it later, no.  As the others responded, they'll take all that out for painting the shell and almost certainly put grommets in at that time.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/3/18 12:24 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

Knurled.
11/3/18 1:33 a.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Oh!  I wondered what the hell was up with that, and didn't make the connection.

Once again, learning something makes me feel dumb...

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/3/18 8:43 a.m.
EvanB said:
stroker said:

Didn't you notice them put a grommet on the wire at the beginning of the episode?

Likewise, I'm sure the harness will be wrapped and look OEM once it's completed.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/3/18 9:30 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

It was up my alley; when I worked at a bike shop, one day out on a ride we voted one of the mechanics the group's spiritual leader because he had all the Wallace and Gromit videos...

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
11/3/18 10:23 a.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Ransom :

Oh!  I wondered what the hell was up with that, and didn't make the connection.

Once again, learning something makes me feel dumb...

Just the fact that you're still willing to learn is the most important! wink Isn't that what GRM's all about?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/3/18 1:12 p.m.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/3/18 5:06 p.m.

Spider bracket FTW!!!!  woof!!!

Knurled.
11/18/18 2:46 p.m.

They just posted a 41 minute (!) video that is part one (!!!) of how he did the bracket.

Only, Howie didn't do the bracket, Nik and Richard did.

edit:  Oh my, this is the whole shebang starting with the main pulley.  Time to get a kettle on.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/18/18 2:55 p.m.

I know there's probably something wrong with me, but i just can't get enough lathe and mill work videos! laugh

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/19/18 8:31 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

There's a joke here that I'm not going to make.

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
11/19/18 8:56 a.m.

I have to say,  for all of Nik's skills and talents, sharpening HSS lathe tooling does not seem to be one of them.  He is missing at least two relief cuts on moat of them.  A few degrees of positive rake would give his small machine a much easier time.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/18 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Jumper K Balls :

Agreed. Like night and day difference. Would also probably help with some of the chatter.

Knurled.
11/19/18 12:45 p.m.

Care to explain for the rest of the class?  Really curious.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/18 1:39 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Relief grinds help HSS tools cut better, run cooler, and can reduce chatter. The relief angle is usually determined by your material. About the only material that uses little to no relief is brass/bronze and such. Here's a pretty good PDF on grinding lathe tools. 

https://littlemachineshop.com/images/gallery/instructions/grindingtoolbits.pdf

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
11/19/18 1:57 p.m.

TOT did a great video on the subject that shows the effects of having and not having the right relief.

https://youtu.be/__A2xtLF0AU

But Toyman nailed it with his link too.

Knurled.
11/25/18 3:28 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

Agreed. Like night and day difference. Would also probably help with some of the chatter.

"I know, I'm a horrible person!"

- Nik while machining a pulley, with horrific amounts of chatter

Oh, by the way, part two is now up.

freetors
freetors Reader
11/25/18 8:27 p.m.

Their machining skills cause me a great deal of pain.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/26/18 12:21 p.m.

But...  it got the job done.

They mentioned on their FB page episode 21 won't be too far away.

Knurled.
11/26/18 12:24 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

The episodes do seem to be coming along more quickly, don't they?

From one month between, to three months, and now they are close to one month between now.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sTLRF7pizHHa2DQoo3rP10PW0vmt77y3tJj46GO36YuT2pG3qeKePztuQxthYW3r